‹ Prequel: When Three Becomes Two

Requiem of Revenge

Chapter 4

Billie’s PoV

I had to go find him. Somehow.

I felt glued to the couch, not able to stop staring at the recorder. Then I hollered.

“ESTELLE!”

The door hit the wall and she flew in, clearly expecting me to be in the hands of a murderous captor. When she saw that I was still sitting there, Estelle quickly relaxed.

“So what did the tape say?”

I forced myself to remain calm. My voice shook, but I managed to gaze her in the eyes.

“Look, Estelle…I’m going to have to find your father. It’s going to be dangerous, I won’t lie…and I’m scared of doing it, to be honest. But I need you to do something for me.”

She seemed breathless.

“What?”

“When my family gets home from work and school, tell them I got a call from an old friend in financial trouble who needs help filling out the paperwork, whatever lie works.

“I might not be coming back, though. So just in case…If I’m not back within a week and a half, that means…well, you know. If I…lose contact, tell my wife and kids everything. That a murderer killed me and Mike.”

In other words, I was telling her to keep everything a secret unless I died. She'd keep it a secret--I knew I could trust Mike's daughter. If I did, I would never be able to see Adie, Joey or Jakob ever again. And as heartless as it was, I knew I had to make that sacrifice.

I turned to face the door.

“I’m going.”

“Good luck,” she replied softly.

I laughed once, bitterly and without humor.

Then I left.

As soon as I was back home, I threw together my suitcase in a frenzy. Any clothing I saw, I stuffed in the bag, along with money. Anything else I needed I could buy once I was there. But I had to leave now, before my kids got home.

My plan was to rush to the airport, then book the soonest flight to anywhere in America. Once I did that, no one would know where I was and I could safely fly to New York. There was a chance that Adie would find out the truth, so I couldn’t stay in Oakland any longer than I had to.

Once I was actually in New York City, I had no idea how I would find Mike. There had been no other hints. It already seemed a hopeless prospect…
I forced it out of my mind. Right now I had to get on a plane. I could worry about the rest once I was in the air.

I strained the bulging suitcase shut, then literally dashed out the door. I sped most of the way to the airport, more and more paranoid by the moment. I kept glancing in my rearview mirror, as though I expected my own family to be tailing me.

The ground fell away behind my tires, and I distanced myself further from the life I might lose.

But then again, I’d rather lose it than my best friend.

Wouldn’t I?
♠ ♠ ♠
All PoV's from this point forward will be Billie's unless I say otherwise.