Sequel: Postcards From...
Status: Re-written

The Club Is Open Until 8:00Pm

Onze

Monet's POV

I gazed outside my window as the cars outside past us. We were headed into the city. New York City. I never been to New York before. Or I have, but never really saw all the places there was to see. I rolled down the window. The breeze felt good on my hot skin. The breeze felt good blowing hair around my face.

Joanne glanced back at me and smiled assuring. I didn’t look at her. I stared out the window. The all to familiar place crept into view. It’s sounds happy. The Little Lonely Ones Foster Care Center. Totally happy. I didn’t notice Steve stop the car and get out. I didn’t respond when he tapped on my window wanting me to get out. I shook my head. I wasn’t moving. I wasn’t getting out. And I wasn’t going in there.

He visibly sighed and turned towards the doors, Joanne trailing behind him. I unfastened my seat belt and looked to see if he’d left the keys in the ignition. He didn’t. I forgot my Ipod. So no music for me. They say the silence never hurt anyone. It’s bull. I guess it’s never met me before. I examined my half bitten fingernails. They needed a manicure. I couldn’t afford one. I could always wear gloves, but I don’t want to.

I pulled my sleeves down past my thumbs and my fingers shook. Steve had shut the car off before I had a chance to roll up my window. I’m cold. A couple came out of the building. Natalie was behind them. When I was little, she was little. She was my age now. Her once brown hair, turned strawberry blonde. Like me, she had a hard time staying with a single family. No family has ever kept us for more then 2 months. I scored when Joanne took me seeing as how its already been 6 months.

Her now parents told her to wait while their assistant informed them about stuff. She made uneasy eye contact with me. I opened my door and walked over to their car. “Hey.” I said. “Hi.” She said. Somehow we’d said all we needed to say. Her parents came back, the mother shooting me a god-foreboding look. Like I had 3 head and a tail growing out of my ass. “Bye.” She said, getting in the backseat. “Bye.” I said getting in my backseat.

Finally they came out. A little blonde boy following them. It must be Andy. When Joanne opened the door, the light came on. It was dark out. I watched him climb in. He looked at me the same way Natalie’s foster mother had. I turned my head towards the window. The car started and first things first, I put my window up.

When we got back home. I got out and walked onto the porch. I turned to Steve and Joanne. “I’m gonna stay out for awhile.” I said. I walked off the side of the porch and went out back behind the house. It had a big yard. Bigger than the front. And a wall made out of rocks that I made that lined the brook. I sat crossed legged at the wall. Slips of paper I put in the cracks could be seen. I found the paper I hadn’t used yet and grabbed a sheet and pen. Writing what happened today on the slip, folding it into 3s and stuffing it in another crack. It helps me deal.

I was out there for awhile. Until Steve came out with a plate full of food. Joanne stood on the porch watching to make sure that I ate. I wasn’t hungry. “Monet?” Steve asked. I looked at him briefly. “Talk to me, honey.” He sounded like a real dad. Not a real dad. Not a real child. Sorry. I won’t. He grabbed my shoulders and I looked at the brook. “Monet what’s wrong?” He asked. What makes him think something’s wrong? Just because I don’t talk, doesn’t mean something wrong.

“Joanne and I … we’re worried about you. You’re taking this whole silent treatment to an extremity.” Silent treatment? I’m not giving anyone the silent treatment, I just don’t wanna talk. “I know you’re upset that we won’t let you go to the concert, but this is crazy.” He said, standing up. Oh yeah, I can’t go to the concert with Imogene. Massachusetts is to far away to drive just to go to a concert say’s Joanne sand Steve.