Sequel: Postcards From...
Status: Re-written

The Club Is Open Until 8:00Pm

Trente Quatre

Monet's POV

An older man, with graying and a mustache to match waked past me and into the Starbucks. He was talking quietly on his cell phone while waiting in the line. A ten dollar bill waiting in the waiting. I place the book, Singing for Dummies back on the shelf and followed him. Joanne had given me twenty dollars to spend at Barns And Nobles. Seriously, who in the right mind would put a coffee shop in the middle of a bookstore. Someone like, as clumsy as me might trip and spill coffee everywhere.

"Yes. I did hear. I would assume the Plaza." He went on in his conversation. He paused to order then paid and left. A triple frapachino-exspresso shot or something of the sort. I stepped up to the counter. "What'll it be?" She sounded rude, like she had somewhere else to be at that moment. "Vanilla Latte. Medium." They must made hundreds a day. "That'll be $4.75." We traded money for Coffee and I left making sure to grab a straw.

I returned to my Singing for Dummies book when I saw her talking to him. Mom talking to him. Mom talking to Gerard. Talking, and laughing. No doubt a soup-opera moment, where two people who haven't seen each other in forever, then coincidence would have it, and they see / meet each other in a place like a bookstore with a coffee shop. Like this place.

My plan in action: I walk over to a new bookcase with my singing for dummies book and Blaze by Richard Bachman and pretend to be interested in some old guys biography. They notice me. I know they notice me. They know, that I know, that they notice me. Wow. Confusing. Just a bit. Maybe not, but humor me and my dumb brain. Mrs. Jamison says I have a dumb brain, and she's a teacher so it's got to be true.

Anyways, putting that aside, they were there...For real. Which sucks. Mostly cause of mom. Because no doubt, she was attracted to Gerard by his "Delicious Goodness" As Imogene so bluntly puts it. and therefore, was telling him embarrassing stores of how when I was 3 years old, I would talk to wall like they were my best friend. I should intercede before it gets that far.

I walked over there. "Hmm, what do you think of these?" I asked her. She looked at me surprised. I can be too casual. "They look great." She answered cautiously. I smiled at Gerard. Last time I saw him, I wouldn't even talk to him. Seems like a big improvement. "How are you?" He asked. I shrugged, and sipped at my coffee. To think, I don't even like coffee. It burnt my tongue.

"Monet, do you know who this is?" He asked. Yes I do. "Lynnea Du Pont, New Age singer from Paris, France." I answered. Technically I was correct. "She's your mother." I looked at him. I didn't want to know how he knew that. "Yeah that to." I said simply, earning a strange look from both adults. "Do you know him?" Mom asked. Again, yes I know him. "Gerard Way, front man of My Chemical Romance." A glance between the two. "Is that it?" She asked. I offered my hands up. "Its not like I stalk him."

"No of course not! It's just--" She started. I raised my brows in question. "What?" She bit her lip. "I went to high school with him. He's your father." I looked at Gerard and shook my head. "Nu-unh?" She nodded. "Hmm, that's not possible. He's like fucking famous, and way to [insert strange expression here] to be my dad. So no, try again. They were speechless. Good thing. I took this opportunity to leave.

I went outside having already paid for my things. Good. Joanne was waiting in the parking lot. I got in the front seat as she started the van. "Get anything good?" She asked. I showed her my books. She looked at the dummies one and laughed. Yes. Absolutely laughable.