Sequel: Postcards From...
Status: Re-written

The Club Is Open Until 8:00Pm

Trente Neuf

Mikey's POV

Jamie and Alicia looked strangely calm sitting in those uncomfortable waiting room chairs. We informed them about the relationship between Lynnea and Gerard and how the result of that had been Monet.

"That's so romantic in a weird kind of way." Jamia said. Alicia sighed. "She sounds like a bitch." Frankie looked up at her. "Alicia?" She shrugged. "I'm sorry, but seriously, does anyone even know where she is right now? Her daughters in the hospital, and she's out doing God-knows what. Doesn't sound very motherly to me." She had a point. It didn't sound very motherly.

The nurse who has been in-and-out of Monet's room, finally dragged in with her one of those green gowns that the patients wore. Joanne and Steve walked in and were were stunned to see all of us here. "Who are you?" Alicia asked. "Monet's parents." that confused her. "Foster." I mouthed. he nodded. She got it.

"I told everyone. They were worried, so i hope you don't mind." Jamia offered. Joanne was about to say something when Steve cut her off. "Of course not. She loves the attention." That made all of us smile.

Gerard and Ray were finally kicked out of Monet's room by the same nurse. "How is she?" I asked. "She quiet." My brother answered. He looked tired. "She's not supposed to talk." Joanne informed. "What happened?" Bob asked. See, I told you, he was really just a big teddy bear on the inside.

"Her vocal cords ripped. To much singing, not enough regular talking." Bob looked sad for a moment. "That sucks." My brother looked like he needed to sit down, or drink something. He also looked older, but I guess that's what happened when someone you cared about was hurt.

Eventually, he did. He sat down in the chair next to Frankie, with his head between his knees, fingers pulling at his black hair.

"Gerard?

"What?"

"You ok?"

"I'm fine."

He didn't sound fine. Frankie gripped his shoulder in assurance. I don't think he even noticed. He looked up suddenly, as if scanning the room for someone. "I need some fresh air." He claimed and left the area. Joanne and Steve talked amongst themselves until Joanne felt the need to ask. "Why is he taking this so hard. The doctor said it was suppose to be a simple operation?" We didn't know how to answer that.

"Because he cares for her, like a father would." He said. We all looked at him. "I've been a lawyer for 7 years. I've seen this type of thing before. Someone's child is hurt, it's usually the father who takes it the hardest."

"Why?" I didn't know who asked that.

"Because men feel a natural need to protect. Seeing their child, their own flesh and blood in pain kills them. I may be just her foster, but I don't like seeing her like this." Well said, Steve. Well said, indeed. I could only imagine was Gee was feeling.

The doctor came in and called for Mr. and Mrs. Stevens. They were asked to sign a form, giving him and his team of nurses permission to proceed with the surgery. A separate line for the mother and the father.