Sequel: Postcards From...
Status: Re-written

The Club Is Open Until 8:00Pm

Quarante Sept

My week out of school was over as I was currently standing on the curb, waiting for the bus to pull up, in the pouring rain. The rain tapped against my bag, and sank into my jackets hood, inevitably soaking my hair.

Finally the bus pulled up, and the driver opened the two doors for me. "Long time no see. You feeling any better?" I shrugged my shoulders, sitting were I usually sat. In the middle, on the left. He closed the doors while pulling away from my house. I stared out the rain-streaked window. I thought it was April Showers Bring May Flowers. It was May, but I didn't see any flowers. Then again, I haven't really been looking.

When the last kid was picked up, I couldn't help but notice that I hadn't moved. I was still staring out the window. I turned my head to look at the group sitting across the aisle from me. They stopped talking, long enough to see the stitches in my neck, then turned away disgusted and continued their conversation.

At school, I stepped off of the bus, and nobody seemed to notice me there. Maybe nobody noticed my absence. I don't know. I adjusted my bag, fixed my hair, and headed inside. Jack was at his locker, next to mine. I walked over, worked the lock, and opened it with a tug. I almost hit myself in the face. That would have been funny.

I was loading my bag up with stuff for my next periods when Jack shut his locker and turned to me. "That's pretty sick." He claimed, referring to my stitches. I looked at him with clamped lips. I was never able to talk to him, even before the surgery. "Hello?" I looked at him, shaking my head. He nodded. "So how are you supposed to talk?" He asked. I pulled a whiteboard out of my bag and the marker that came with.

"Dude, that sucks. Can I see that?" He asked. I handed it over to him. He scribbled for a second then turned the face towards me.

:(

One of his friends came by and wrapped him up in something. I looked at the face he drew, erased it with my finger and stuffed it back in my bag. First period bell rang, jumping me, and then made me late to class. What a wonderful first day back.

...

"Monet could you come and see me in the hall for a minute." Multiple teachers had asked. I had followed each time, knowing after the second time, that they were handing me a packet of missed work. I was out for a week, but I had at least two weeks worth of homework sitting in my bag by the end of the day.

When the last bell rang, I stepped outside to get on the bus since Joanne wasn't going to be picking me up. She was working, which she has been doing a lot of lately. Oh well. I found my bus parked and stepped up, my usual seat empty so I could sit.

Around 6, at home.

There was a pile of homework that I was purposely neglecting sitting there, on my lap, stalking me.

I glanced over at Steve, who was sitting right beside me on the couch, to wrapped up in the football game playing on t.v to make sure whether I was doing my homework. I wasn't, but he didn't have to know that. I was watching the game, and silently cheering when my team scored.

"Oh come on!" He exclaimed. Every time he yelled I pointed my head down and angled my pencil towards my paper to make it look like I was trying to to do the work. I was working on biology, and we were on our Genetics Unit. I looked at Steve. I had a feeling he wouldn't be much help.

"Yeah! That's what I'm talking about!" He cheered. I glanced up to see why. Oh. My team had lost. Steve's team winning the game and sending him on a cheering rampage. I removed my binder and Biology book from my lap and went into the kitchen.

I grabbed a glass from the cupboard and opened the fridge. We were out of milk so instead I went with the orange juice. Once I put it back, I grabbed the pencil inside my hoodie pockets and wrote on the sticky note posted to the freezer, Need Milk.