Sequel: Postcards From...
Status: Re-written

The Club Is Open Until 8:00Pm

Cinquante Et Un

I played with the straying fibers of my hoodie while I walked the Fiction Aisle in the school library. I pulled out by Traitor by Gudron Pausewang, and put it back among the other historical fiction books. I sighed, walking sideways trying to locate a good book to envelop me for the rest of my study hall.

I spotted Lauren sitting at a table by herself working on her laptop and decided I would join her. I grabbed a magazine from the rack on my over and sat down across from her. “Hey.” She said. I smiled and waved with my fingers. “How’s that going?” She indicated the stitches in my neck. I shrugged. “I have an appointment next week to get them taken out.” I said. She nodded. “Does it hurt?” She asked. “Not really.” I shook my head. “Only when I turn my head or lay down.” She nodded slowly, folding the lid to her laptop down.

“So, um, It really sucks what Chris did. I didn’t know she had gotten copy’s of you b.c.” Lauren claimed. B.c meant Birth Certificate; that’s what Lauren has always called it. I shrugged. “It can’t be helped. I just wonder who told her.” I said, not even looking at her but at the cover of the magazine I’d grabbed. Racer-X mag.

“I sorta did.” She confessed.
I looked at her. “Who told you?”
“Imogene.”
...

“Monet.” I heard someone call. I looked behind me and saw Derrick with his arms crossed. “What?” I called. He shook his head. “Can I talk to you?” He asked. I rolled my eyes, pushing my seat out and grabbing the magazine for some reason. I walked over to him. “What?” He looked around, and dragged me by the crook of my arm into the non-fiction aisle.

“You know if you pull hard enough, you’ll actually pull the arm out of it’s socket.” I said. He immediately let go as if he was hurting me. “Sorry.” He said. “I was just kidding.” I said, giving him a strange look. “No, I’m sorry about what Chris did. I didn’t think she would take it as far as she did.” He said. I scratched my cheek, looking at the books on the shelves. “I don’t care.” I said simply. “I already knew before she had said anything.”

“So, you knew he was your dad.”
“What?”
“You already know who your dad is?”
“Who?”
“Gerard Way.”
“Yeah.”
...

“Like it doesn’t even matter. I doubt it did anything to change how people see me at this school. ” He closed his mouth, thinking. “Yeah, but your Gerard Way’s daughter!” I sighed. “It doesn’t matter whose daughter I am, I’m still the girl with blue hair and who doesn’t talk much.” I sneered. “Then Jesus Christ Monet, dye your hair a different color!” He retorted. I shot back a little, surprised by his sudden outburst.

“Whatever.” I said, turning to walk away. “Wait, wait, just a second.” He said, visually calming down. He swept his bangs back to the side and crossed his arms, breathing more slowly. “I want you to know I broke up with her.” He admitted. I shook my head, not getting what this had to do with our current conversation. “And this effects me how?” I asked. He looked at me for a second. “It doesn’t I guess, I just wanted you to know.”

“And now I know, so good bye.” I said, starting to walk off again. Maybe this time he’d let me. “Wait, Monet.” He said, saying my name differently, like it actually meant something to him. “What now?” I exasperated, placing my hands on my hips. The librarian was shooting us a mean look. He stepped a little closer, and took a deep breath.

“I like you.” He whispered.
I started at him. “Excuse me?”
“I said I like you.”
...

“Hey Monet, you coming back to class or what?” Mejesta called from the check out desk. I nodded, still staring at Derrick. “Yeah, I’ll be right there.” I said, although I wasn’t sure when I would start moving. “I’ll see you later.” Derrick said, a hint of a smile placed on his lips. He bumped my shoulder a little as he passed me.

“You ok?” Majesta asked. I nodded, utterly speechless though nobody would even notice. “What did Derrick want?” I shrugged. “Just asking if we had homework or not.” I breathed. I glanced over by the ramp. Derrick was hanging around with a few of his buddies. He caught my eye and smiled, his single lip ring glinting in the florescent lighting.