Sequel: Postcards From...
Status: Re-written

The Club Is Open Until 8:00Pm

Cinquante Six

It was about 4AM when Dad came into my room. I watched him shut the door behind him, and step back a little when he saw me awake. “What are you doing up?” He asked, coming over and sitting on the edge of the bed. “I couldn’t sleep.” I answered quietly. He shook his head. “You too?”

“Did you want something?” I asked. “Not really. I just thought I’d come in and watch you sleep.” He sighed. “Looks like a bust.” I said. He chuckled quietly. I yawned, and pulled the blanket back over my legs and moved over a bit. “What?” He asked because of the gesture. “You wanna come under?” I asked, folding the blanket over. He smiled and climbed in.

I had to admit, this was definitely nice. I turned on my side, my back facing him, and he wrapped an arm around me.

...

When I woke up, he was gone. His side of the bed perfectly made. I hadn’t moved since I fell asleep at 4:13AM. 2 weeks. Don’t forget. Be ready. I placed the whiteboard back on my nightstand. I heard an engine start in the driveway. I glanced out the low window, and his car was pulling out.
...

Our meeting with the the principle is today. He wanted to discuss “Stuff”. Joanne, Steve, Mrs. Beckett, and my guidance consoler are there. I’m outnumbered.

Principal: Well?

I look around with just my eyes. I am not talking.

Joanne: For God’s sake, talk!


Steve: You were talking a little yesterday honey.

Guidance Consoler: We’re only here to help.

Principal: Look at these grades. You’re last school assured us that you were a at least a B average student.

Joanne: She’s mute. She’s not saying anything!

Guidance Consoler: Stay calm. Children like Monet need to be approached very coolly.

Mrs. Beckett: Children like Monet? What kind of child is she?


Guidance Consoler: Children who are raised in a foster care environment. Children who’ve been through numerous homes.

Mrs. Beckett: Excuse me but Monet is a very good girl. Everyone in our program is. She’s smart, athletic, and easy to be around.

Guidance Consoler: Oh, I don’t doubt it! Her coach speaks very highly of her.

Principle: Well I hope she knows that she can’t play any sports until she gets those grades up.

Guidance Consoler: Yes. She knows, don’t you, Monet?

I told you I am not talking. Oxymoron much?

Everyone sighs, deeply frustrated with me.

Joanne: I hope you don’t plan on acting like this with your father over the summer!

Guidance Consoler: What?

Steve: Her father made her an offer to spend the summer with him on tour. He’s in a band.

Guidance Consoler: Yes. Yes. I know.

Principle: On tour. Like covering the country? I'm sorry, but because of her grades, she’ll need summer school for most of the vacation. There’s no way she can pass without it!

Everyone looks at me.

I officially hate you, Principle, Mr. Saunders.
♠ ♠ ♠
hopefully the first of 2 updates this week.
but i don't promise anything.