Sequel: Postcards From...
Status: Re-written

The Club Is Open Until 8:00Pm

Cinquante Huit

“Ok so, you want the cheeseburger with onion rings?” Derrick asked me. I nodded. He smiled and told me he would be right back and headed inside. I nodded, and looked around the parking lot while he was gone.

A car pulled in, then pulled a u turn and pulled right back out. They must’ve missed their tun somewhere. I dangled my feet off of the back of Derricks truck. My bare feet didn’t even touch the pavement. I glanced at my sandals, laying beside me.

Derrick came back out, carrying with him two paper bags and two drinks. He perched beside me, and handed me mine. “I hope your hungry.” He said and started into his. I nodded, offering him a half smile and slowly opening mine.

...

“Is something wrong?” Derrick suddenly asked me. I looked up from my drink’s lid and at him. “What?” I asked. “I asked if something was wrong. You’re really quiet tonight. Well, you’re always quiet, but...” He trailed. I shook my head slowly. “I’m sorry.” I said. “I just have a lot on my mind.” I answered truthfully.

He sighed. “That’s sort of like why I asked you out. I knew you had a lot going on and i figured you could use a night to just get away from it all.” I looked at him, and then returned to playing with my straw. “You have no idea.” I said and looked at him. He smiled and then looked away. We started to clean up.

...

Next was the movies. We were seeing something about pirates. It had Johnny Depp in it so it was worth watching. I don’t think Derrick liked it though, but he said I could choose the movie. He started moving around like he was going to get up. “What’s wrong.” I asked. He shook his head. “ugh, nothing. I’m just gonna step out into the lobby for a sec.” He said. “Wait, I’ll come too.” I said and followed him out into the lobby.

“Derrick, my man! Hey, what’s this - are you on a date with her?!” Justin said, walking out of the arcade section of the theater. “Um, yeah, actually I am.” He answered. I remembered Justin. He was that rude guy at the club.

“Hey, baby, you remember me don’tcha?” He asked. I didn’t answer because it’s what I do best. “What do you want, Justin?” asked Derrick. He shrugged. “Nothing. I saw you and figured I’d say hi.” He claimed. “Well, you’ve said hi, now you can go.”

“Wait, wait, why do I have to go?”

“Fine, then we’ll go.” He said, grabbing my hand and dragging me outside. It was only when we were in his truck when he turned to me and apologized. “What for?” I asked. “You wanted to see that movie, and I just made you miss it.” He said. I told him I didn’t care about the movie, that I’d probably just catch it some other time.

...

I glanced at the clock radio in his truck. It was almost 11Pm. “Wow, I honestly didn’t mean to keep you out this late.” Derrick said, pulling into Joanne and Steve’s driveway. All the lights downstairs were off, and the only light came from Joanne and Steve’s room upstairs.

“I think they’re all asleep.” I said to him, still sitting in the passengers seat and looking at the house. He mumbled something. “What?” I asked. He cleared his throat. “I said, yeah, I guess.” I nodded and went for the door. “Wait a minute.” He said. I turned to him. “What?” I asked. He tapped the steering wheel, then leaned over the console and kissed me.

It was over before I even had a chance to really do anything, and without really thinking, I just got out, said goodbye, and went inside. I couldn’t help it. I was smiling to myself, as I walking upstairs to go to bed.