Sequel: Postcards From...
Status: Re-written

The Club Is Open Until 8:00Pm

Sept

It’s 6 in the morning, the alarm has just went off and I’m tired. I have school because it’s a Wednesday but I don’t want to go. I don’t know why I don’t want to go.

Joanne having heard my alarm go off, knocked on my door to see if I was awake. “Monet?” She called. I didn’t answer and pulled the covers over my head. “Monet?” She called again only this time she opened the door. My room has a slanted ceiling over my bed so she had to crook her head a certain way.

She knew I was under the covers. Damn! My disguise didn’t work. I must think of another. She sat on the bed and tugged on the blankets. They didn’t budge much. “Monet.” She wasn’t asking anymore. I didn’t respond. “Are you feeling okay?” Yes. “Is there something going on a school you wanna talk about?” No, not really. “What am I going to do with you.” I don’t know. She sighed and finally left. Cool. No school for me. Steve wouldn’t like this but who cares. Joanne would just make up an excuse to tell both him and the school. Needless to say, I don’t like going to school that much.

I traveled down to the lower half of the house around noon, when I thought it was safe to come down. Steve would be at work doing whatever he does there and Joanne would be fixing lunch. She was. I heard her hum songs she knew to herself while in the kitchen. Something she did only while preparing a meal.

I walked into the kitchen. “There you are! Are you hungry? There’s enough for you if you’d like some.” I smiled and nodded, pulling up a chair at the kitchen table as she placed a bowl full in front of me. Macaroni Salad. I started to eat almost forgetting that she was waiting for a thank you. I used to thank people all the time now I don’t. I wonder why?

She sat down in the closest chair to me and got herself a bowl. We were eating together. Just like the first couple day’s I spent here. I’ve only been here for 6 months, and 6 months ago Steve didn’t like the way I looked much, so he usually ate at his desk in his office. Now I guess he’s used to the blue hair and the eyeliner and the lip piercing cause he eats with us.

Joanne took our dishes away once we finished our food. I stood up after grabbing my cup and went over to the fridge to get a drink. I filled it with the iced tea she had made earlier and headed up to my room. “Monet,” Joanne paused. I turned around waiting for her to say what she needed to say. “I’m going to be late coming home tonight so Steve has already agreed to make you dinner. You okay with that?” I nodded, still waiting. Was that seriously all she had to tell me. “Well, alright, you can go back upstairs now.” She shrugged. I went upstairs.



I watched Joanne walk off the porch after being given a kiss by Steven. I watched her unlock the van and then drive off towards the store she managed. It started snowing again and I heard Steve call me down. I went to check what he wanted. “I’m going to go to the store right quick. You want anything while I’m gone?” I shook my head. “Okay, well, dinner should be done by the time I come back.” He left. A couple minutes later, I walked into the kitchen and stirred what he had been cooking. Chili. Steve makes excellent Chili.

Steve walked in a few moments later, carrying with him a small grocery bag filled with spices he needed to finish the chili. He placed a hand on my shoulder as he passed me by and finished up the food. As soon as it was finished he offered me the first bowl and I gratefully excepted. I seated myself down and he sat where Joanne had sat next to me. We ate. Not talking, just eating.