Ready For Your Love

Crash and Break

I glance at my soon to be ex-home one last time as I pull the door closed behind me.
“I won’t miss you, hellhole,” I whisper, starting to take the stairs down. Frank smiles at me, as he turns around to join me in my trip to ground level.

The 15 minute drive to the Iero-Nestor household passes quietly, only Kayla’s giggles disturbing the silence as I tickle her whenever she grabs my hand.

The air applies pressure on us, and oxygen is thick and hard to inhale. It just drops onto us, coming out of nowhere. We all have this feeling in the pit of our stomach, the kind of feeling where you know something will go wrong, you know?

Kayla notices and stops giggling and somewhat fooling around to just look at us in discomfort.
I bend forward a bit, making my face appear next to the engaged couple in the front of the car.

“I love you both,” I whisper, my voice shaking.

They nod and whisper “I love you both, too,” confirming the uneasy feeling that pushes down on me, and them.

Breaks squeal, we scream and not even 0.3 seconds later, metal bodies of our vehicle and another meet, bending and breaking with a high pitched whistle.

Pain pulses through my body. ‘Not my knee,’ flashes through my mind as everything turns to black and all I feel is my body throbbing.

---

The competition, the final competition was about to start. She started jumping up and down, nervous as hell. In her mind, she repeated the choreography she’d made. In all honesty, she was quite proud of it. Her eyes darted to the girl across the room, repeating her moves as well. She was good. Rivalry shot through her mind, but her heart smiled, as they both were here for a same love.

Dancing.

This was the world championship of her heart and life.

“Finalist one, please prepare yourself on the stage.”

Taking a deep breath , she made her way to the stage. She tried to block the pressure out, she tried to forget this would change her life. She could become the best dancer on earth.

The lights went out, and she placed herself in the middle of the stage. Tranquility took over her body. This would be her moment of glory, no one would steal it from her.

Nothing mattered but the next she had to do.

Her determination created the aura she needed. Silence fell over the crowd as they all sensed the power coming from one single person, standing with her legs spread, proudly facing the crowd. Her eyes shined, telling the crowd she could do this and that they would be blown away.

Music softly started playing and as it did, its volume increased. The body stayed still.
Nothing happened, and the crowd looked at her confused.
What was going on?

She smiled without showing the crowd, nothing in her body moved. This was very much planned. She needed confusion.

Suddenly, the drums kicked in, and she used the act of surprise. Her body moved in ways people had never seen before, following the rhythm of the music perfectly. She felt the goosebumps tracing the crowds bodies.

Perfect.

Mixing her classic and jazz dance abilities with modern freestyle, hip hop and breakdance, she had found the perfect balance between the history of dance and the future. She’d known it while she stayed up all night figuring her moves out. It had been two months of even less sleep than her body was used to –which was very little to start with, but it had been more than worth it.

She had reached the break in the music through a flawless choreography. The music gradually changed from upbeat to slow. The crowd took this opportunity to let the finalist know she’d won them as they applauded loudly. It seemed a lost case for the second finalist.

Where her choreography first was modern with a pinch of classic, it was now solely ballet. Using the string orchestra to show off her limberness, she covered that with beautiful grand jetés, pirouettes and grand écarts.

What was supposed to be the grand finale of her choreography, a difficult series of high jumps, ended in the worst scenario.

As she launched her body in the air, she sensed something wrong. Her landing came sooner than expected, and her knee knew it.

She felt and heard the tendons in her knee snap, and soon after she felt her kneecap shift.

Her ten minutes of glory ended in tears and a forever ruined knee.