Ready For Your Love

Destined encounter

Pain pulses through my body despite the drugs that are being pumped through that same system.

Something is wrong. Something is wrong.

I wish I knew where I was.

Terrible pain jolts through my right knee, and I know enough. I’ll be lucky if I got another six months of revalidation, but I already know it’ll be way more.

I never realized how hard and tiring it is to open your eyes. It feels as if I’m trying to lift a bus with one finger.

Images flash trough my misted mind, but they don’t stay long enough for me to figure them out.

I hear the honking of a car, a male voice cursing and a child is crying.

In a stubborn attempt to remember what happened, one image stays.
The right side of the car. Bended. Sharp metal pointing everywhere, as glass shards fly everywhere. Jamia’s safety belt is undone, as she tries to protect herself against the flying danger. Frank has his hands out to help her, but his eyes watch me intently. My knee is stuck between the metal and Jamia’s seat. I’m desperately trying to protect my baby but my body is twisted too awkward.

Reminded of my baby sitting in the car unprotected from glass daggers piercing the air, I force my eyes open and my body to sit up.

“Kayla!”

But the space around me is empty. No Kayla.

“Kayla… Kayla…” I whimper, as my pessimistic mind immediately thinks the worst. She should be here with me.

Instead, I’m alone.

Not even Frank or Jamia are here. Where the fuck is everyone?

My head spins and I force myself to lay down.

Frank knows I hate these places, why isn’t he here? Something must be going on.

I sigh, trying to swallow back my worried tears.

“Whoever drove into our car, he’s dead as soon as I’m dismissed.”

“Actually, I almost was,” a voice answers. My head shoots to the right, and I see another bed.
I hadn’t noticed it before, strange.

“You should have been,” I answer, before looking up to the source of the voice.
Anger fills my body.

“Gerard,” I hiss, immediately lying down again and turning my back on him. I should have known he’d try such a thing.

“It was an accident, okay? I never wanted to crash into you guys on purpose,” he pleas.

“Chyeah, and I should believe that?” I reply, even though I didn’t really want to say anything to that bastard.

“Why the fuck would I want to risk your lives? And mine, for that matter?”

“As if I’ve been nice to you lately. You never were good at coping with people being mean to you,” I say, knowing he’ll have to give in.

“I love you guys. I’d never do anything dangerous to you,” Gerard replies, not trying to hide the hurt in his voice. He wants me to believe he’s hurt that I would think he wants to hurt me.

His trick worked.

I turn around, feeling a stab in my heart. “How much of a coincidence would this be then?”

“Obviously, it is. Chances were slim, but it happened anyway. Maybe it wasn’t a coincidence, maybe it was meant to be,” he says, looking me in the eyes. His eyes tell me he truly believes it was meant to be, so we would meet again. So I could get closer to forgiving him.

“Where’s Kayla?” I ask.

“She’s in the cafeteria with Frank and Jamia. They’re all fine, they just got hungry,” he says, softness in his voice. “They waited six hours for you to wake up. I said they could go, I’d be here anyways.”

Suddenly I realize he’s alone, too, with no one by his side.

“Where’s your fiancee?” I ask, remembering the reason I hate him.