Ready For Your Love

Encounter

“C’mon hun, let’s pack you up in some warm clothing,” I coo. It’s only end of September, but it’s getting chilly already. I can’t let Kayla get sick.

We decided to go shopping. Well, Frank decided. I didn’t really want to go, because money’s kind of a problem. Frank insisted he’d pay, but I don’t want him to. I know he’s got better ways to spend it; for example furniture for his new house. Yeah, Frank and Jam are moving. They’re staying in Newark, just to something bigger. It’s only a couple of blocks away from their apartment, and closer to mine. And well, ‘something bigger’ means ‘more furniture’, not ‘stuff for Lynn and Kayla’. But whatever, we’re equally stubborn, and I just had to give in to his puppy eyes. He knows I melt whenever he does that, and no matter how much I fight against it, sooner or later I just have to give in.
Frank’s a meanie, sometimes.

As I finish dressing Kayla, I turn around to only meet the body of a still half naked Frank. “Er, Frank. If you want to go shopping, you’ll have to go outside, y’know,” I say confused. He blinks and slowly nods. Geez, someone was day dreaming. I could almost see the question mark appear above his head when I got him back down to planet Earth.
“Get dressed, smartass!” I say, raising my voice a bit, since he’s obviously not fully here yet. He lands with a thud, though; figurative and literally. He stumbles backwards, trips and lands on his ass, staring at me wide-eyed. He then pouts at me, as I’m totally cracking up. I try pouting back, but it’s not very convincing when you have this huge grin on your face.

I shake my head, still laughing, and throw his shirt in his face. I get my coat, scarf and gloves, put them on and lift Kayla onto my hip. She grabs a strand of my hair and starts sucking on it. I pull the black hair back out of her mouth, screw up my face obviously so she can see it clearly. “Don’t do that, Kayla. It’s yucky,” I say. She looks at me with her gorgeous eyes, but something else catches her attention immediately. She starts laughing, and I giggle, too, I love hearing her laugh. I look to where she is, and see Frank struggling, trying to put his hoodie on. I burst out in laughter once again.

Frank’s so clumsy it’s impossible. His head is stuck in a sleeve, don’t ask me how he did that, it’s a zip up hoodie. In the meantime, he’s lost his balance and he’s jumping around trying not to stumble and fall again. He fails though, as a thud follows, joined by a grunt. I walk over to him, and kneel to help a sprawled out Frank. After I manage to get his head out of his sleeve, he looks up dumbfounded. I laugh again, run my fingers through his hair quickly to straighten it out a bit and help him onto his feet again.

“C’mon, let’s get going,” Frank says seriously, as if his last few actions weren’t hilarious at all, making me grin again. I must say, he does manage to get his coat, scarf and gloves on without doing something stupid again.

We leave the apartment and walk onto the street. It’s filled with people walking by in a high tempo to get somewhere in time. Time is money, bla bla bla. Business people. Watching their rush, I almost feel lucky not having a job.

Frank grabs my arm, and drags me to the other side of the street. I subconsciously move my arm over Kayla to protect her.

I try to stay near Frank, he’s walking fast. I know he wants to get out of this awful chaos, and reach the pleasant chaos of shopping streets. Wandering around in his own mind and assuming I’m next to him, he kind of forgets the baby on my arm. I can’t walk as fast as he is right now, because I have a child to protect against the evil bodies of business people.

Then, all of a sudden, Frank and I get separated by a huge mass of human beings and he disappears. I stop walking, wait a bit until the amount of people declines and pull my sidekick out of my pocket, as any sign of Frank is gone.

While I wait for Frank to pick up, I see a black haired man stare at me. It’s not Frank, the man I wished to be the father of my child, but the man who, in reality, is.

Gerard.