Who We'll Be

Goodnight

“What...?” I asked, surprised. “Why would you do that...?”

Please...

Tell me you’re not kidding.

C’mon.

Say it.

Say you love me too...


My stomach started to churn like it just turned into a garden filled with flowers—because I could feel several butterflies fluttering there.

“Because...”

“Because...?” you love me too!!!

“Well, I’m speaking hypothetically. I mean, if I really did do it on purpose, what will you do?”

I’ll passionately kiss you back, duh.

“I dunno...maybe I’ll slap you?”

Sky looked at me with a surprised expression.

“That reminds me...”

He started to grin.

“I remembered offering you a bottle yesterday...but you refused...and I can tell you’re not wasted last night. So why didn’t you stop me, you know...” he uttered. “…from kissing you...?”

Shit...he caught me.

I browsed my head for a good answer, but I couldn’t think of anything.

“Oh well, I guess it can’t be helped...” Sky said, completely saving me from answering his question.

He just sighed.

“No wonder you couldn’t resist me...girls always couldn’t...I mean, it’s not your fault I’m too damn sexy all the time...”

I rolled my eyes and laughed at him.

“Yeah, right!”

Seriously. He’s right…

Suddenly, the wheel halted into a stop—the ride was finally over.

“Ooh, that was fun, let’s ride again!” Jane told us when we saw her with Matt at the entrance of the ferris wheel. I could tell they were making out again, because Matt’s lips had a little smudge of Jane’s lipstick on it.

“Nah, let’s go to some other rides,” Sky said.

“Where?” Jane looked around the park, searching for a good ride.

“Uh...what about the horror house booth?” Matt suggested.

“Yeah, okay!” Sky and Jane agreed.

They all suddenly looked at me, as if they’re asking for my approval.

“Um...you guys can go ahead. I’ll just wait for you outside...”

Well, I’m not really into horror houses...

Sky grinned naughtily.

“Scared?”

I looked at him in disgust.

“No!”

I would’ve said yes, but since were talking about Sky here, I’m pretty sure he’ll just make fun of me for weeks about how chicken I am for being too afraid to go to a horror house.

“You’re not?” he asked, smirking.

“Yes, I’m not.”

“Then come with us.”

“But I don’t want to.”

Chicken.”

“No. I just don’t want to.”

“Oh c’mon, it’ll be fun.”

“Horror houses are lame.”

“Please?”

“No, Sky.”

“Pretty please?”

Sky kept on making these extremely cute and stupid puppy-dog eyes.

“This is my final decision, okay? NO.”

* * *

I stared at the little gates of the fake house, which were beginning to automatically open, welcoming us in.

Okay, breathe in, Symmery. You’re just going to a stupid horror house. Like, a really stupid one. You’re not really gonna die in there. The creatures in there aren’t real, okay? They are NOT real. They won’t really kill you, or eat your arm, or bury your bones somewhere deep in a dark forest where no one could find...

...wait, why would they eat just my arm? I’m pretty sure they’ll eat every part of me!


...okay I’m getting really scared.

“Are you okay, Symmery?” Sky looked at me. “You look...really frightened.”

It was just the four of us—me, Sky, Jane and Matt—standing in front of the horror house.

It now looked more terrifying than ever, because the dim sky of the night had just fallen, and the gleaming stars seemed so far away...

“Fine! Yes, I am, alright?!” I confessed. “I’m scared! Why did I even agree to this?! Ugh! I’ll back out now!”

I was about to walk away, when Sky suddenly held my hand, which I think was becoming a good habit of his.

“Hey...don’t be scared…I’ll be with you,” he comforted me. “And don’t worry, I won’t let those monsters hurt you.”

His statement made me blush, as usual.

Aw, Sky won’t let monsters get me...

He’s like, my own handsome knight in shining armor...

...how romantic.


No wait, it’s not. Best friends always do that for each other.

You again...

Yes, this is Negative Symmery talking to you. Now stop dreaming.

No!!! It’s free to dream!

Well, don’t dream for something that won’t come true!

No! Dreams are made to give hope and be free...

Stop dreaming!!!

NO! FREEDOMMM!!!

There I was, arguing to myself like the dude in Lord of the Rings, when Sky smiled that soothing smile which kind of stunned me a bit, and all I could say was “Uh...okay.”

“And besides, you already bought a ticket. You’ll just waste it if you back out,” he said, smiling wider.

And just like that...

...I wasn’t that afraid anymore. I smiled back at him.

I saw in my peripheral vision that Jane was smiling at me evilly, which I think meant ‘I knew it! You love Sky! Prepare to be ambushed by my super-major-explosive-Sky-teasing-hurricane that’s about to hit you!!! Wayaa!!! Muhahaha...’

Sky didn’t remove his hand from mine the whole time we were inside the horror house, and I had to scream and hug him a few times out of fright—okay, when were halfway inside the house I really wasn’t that afraid anymore, but I still continued to hug him, because my stupid heart wants to—while he just laughed at how bad the make-up of the ghosts were, and I think Jane and Matt were only pretending to be frightened just so they could embrace each other tighter than usual.

We rode many other rides, and time flew as quickly as the evening passed.

Matt has a car of his own, and he drove Jane, me and Sky to our own homes.

“Okay, goodnight,” I told Sky as I searched for the key in my pocket and opened the door of my house.

We were at my front porch, and I could tell my parents were already asleep, because the lights inside my house were already turned off.

“Goodnight,” he replied.

I just smiled at him as I started to walked inside the house...

...when he held my hand, again. I think he held it more than five times today...I am one lucky girl, I tell you.

“Hey...wait.”

I gave him a puzzling look.

“Huh? Why?”

He looked back at me solemnly.

“You forgot something.”

I confusingly looked at him.

“What...?”

He gave me a seductive grin and pointed a finger to his lips.

“You forgot to kiss me goodnight.”
♠ ♠ ♠
"We'll take control of the world, like it's all we have to hold on to; and we'll be...a dream."
~ We'll Be A Dream by We The Kings ft. Demi Lovato