Who We'll Be

Stupid

“Did you have fun?” Eric said, smiling as his car stopped in front of my house.

“Yeah,” I replied happily as he got out and opened the car door for me.

Since Eric and I are exclusively dating now, it had been weeks since we’ve been doing this routine—despite of his basketball practices and out studies, Eric would always find the time for us to spend time together, which was truly sweet of him.

Today we just went to the movies, and we couldn’t believe how lame the movie we just watched was—we didn’t understand it at all. Or maybe because we’re not just paying attention…

When we had sauntered on my front porch and paused at the door, Eric shyly—like he never got used to this—kissed my lips goodnight.

But every time we did this, he just felt too…careful. Like he didn’t want me to get killed by his kiss or something. He wasn’t this mild when we were kissing at the movies or somewhere private, maybe because he just doesn’t want my parents to see us exchanging saliva like this, because, he’s too much of a gentleman. Not that it’s a bad thing, but c’mon, even his tongue was too gentle…

I pulled him closer, until he finally gave in. Unlike when I was with my last boyfriend, whom I don’t have to pull any closer whenever we kiss, because his tongue was just as assertive as mine, already filled with blazing passion and irrepressible desire…

…OH MY GOD.

I did NOT just thought about my ex-boyfriend’s tongue and how assertive it is and how it was filled with blazing passion and irrepressible desire while I’m kissing my present boyfriend!

Ack, what the chocolate fudge am I thinking?!

Focus, Symmery!

You’re kissing Eric, your present boyfriend who always makes you happy RIGHT NOW.

Focus! It’s ERIC.

E-R-I-C.

...not S-K-Y!!!

…OH MY GOOD LORD.

I did NOT just spell out my ex’s name in my head while I’m supposed to be concentrating on kissing my always-there-for-me boyfriend!

Ugh, I should stop thinking about him.

Maybe forgetting his name would be a good start?


Minutes passed, and Eric and I finally pulled away, and an awkward silence followed.

“Um…okay…goodnight,” I said swiftly to cut the quietness.

“Okay,” he said, smiling. “Goodnight, Symmery. Sweet dreams…”

He bit his lip, and slowly walked towards his car. I watched him until the beam of his headlights were completely out of sight, and I was fully preoccupied with my thoughts again as I opened the door…

…when the scene I saw as I entered the living room made my heart weigh like a thousand tons, and my mouth opened hugely and drop to the floor out of so much surprise.

The person I’ve been thinking about earlier—but if I’m being honest with myself, everyday—was sitting at my living room, eating brownies my mom must’ve prepared. And dad was in the living room with him. And they were laughing. Hard.

And you know what?

It totally made so much sense. Like, it could’ve made absolute and complete sense, if it wasn’t just for the one question that popped on my head. Which was…

Why in the horrors of hell is he-who-must-not-be-named-because-it-hurts, my ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend, laughing loudly in MY living room with MY dad, and HAPPILY eating brownies at MY house!?!

I know he’d been getting along with my parents so well in the past, but I can’t believe even my own parents would do this to me, to betray me like this. I mean, they’re supposed to hate him now too! C’mon, he had hurt ME, their one and only daughter, but my mom still prepared brownies for him and my dad was laughing with him like he’s their own loving son?!

I personally think the world should come to an end. It was too full of traitors.

When my dad and him finally spotted me having my world-ending-catastrophe, they just stopped laughing quickly and dad cleared his throat, as if they’ve been talking about something serious, and he said he’ll just go to the kitchen to check my mom’s cooking. yeah okay dad…join the other traitor…

When dad left the room, the-boy-whom-I-don’t-want-to-say-the-name stood up, and not a hint of his laughter a few minutes ago was left in his features…the features I missed so much.

“What are you doing here?!” I yelled at the boy.

He didn’t reply. Instead, he ran towards me and pulled me in for a suffocating hug, and said, “This time, I seriously wont let go if you don’t forgive me.”

And it was so tight, with his hands cuddling my head and waist, that I was practically kissing his shoulder. I could vividly smell his pleasant scent, the fragrant smell that I yearned to inhale again all these times, the essence of being back to his arms once more…the essence of home.

“I’m really sorry Symmery…”

Good thing our kitchen has a door, because if my parents saw this—my ex hugging me, and me secretly happy about it—some major awkward momentum might be likely to occur.

And what does he mean? Hedo know I already have a boyfriend, right? And I just heard a few days ago that he’s going out with Lauren again…

“Well, I’ve been thinking about this. Look, I’m not asking you to be mine again,” he explained. “I just want you to forgive me for everything…”

I pretended not to hear him as I struggled to loosen his hold.

“Sky, let go—“

“No!” He embraced me even tighter. “Symmery, think about this! Are you just going to let this ruin our friendship?! So you’re just going to forget everything just like that?!”

His words made my heart felt heavier, with the memories swirling through my head…our childhood…everything in the past, making me realize…

…how stupid I am.

Very stupid.

Stupid for letting my emotions get to me.

Stupid for letting him go.

And more importantly, stupid for leaving him instead of being there for him, when he needed me the most…


He’s right.

And now I would be the stupidest girl in the whole existence of the human race if I just let everything we had slip like that.

If I could turn back time, I would’ve never let him go…

What we had was something special…

…a treasure worth keeping.

Besides, it’s better to be friends than to have no connection with him at all…right?

I just sighed, and said, “Fine, I forgive you. We can be friends again—“

Suddenly, Sky started screaming and spinning me around, shouting thank you and stuff, while I was thanking the inventor of kitchen doors.

When he had put me down, his beautiful blue eyes landed on mine, and his smile disappeared.

“Hey, you still look mad…perhaps you still want me to kneel—“

“No, I already said I forgive you!” I accidentally held his wrist, because I was stopping him from kneeling, and he just stood up and hugged me again.

I thought things were getting a little better…when I stood frozen as my heart suddenly died out of so much pain in his next words.

He let me go, and looked down.

“I’m…moving back to Jersey with Lauren soon, and I just want to fix everything between us before we leave…”

“Oh.”

Sky’s features suddenly turned lonely, and the next things he said sent arrows straight through my already-dying heart. Not arrows of love like the ones cupid shoot on valentines day, but arrows of pure, unadulterated regret and despair.

His was smiling as he said this, but it just made my heart fall to pieces.

“I still love you, Symmery. I’ll move back to Jersey to fix things with my dad, and you’re the only reason I’m here anyways. But I guess there’s no chance of you being mine anymore. And to be honest...it really hurts seeing you with him. But if he is who you really want…then I really wish he could make you happy."
♠ ♠ ♠
Subscribe? Comment? Authors appreciate it if you could review about the characters, the story flow, and help point out the flaws. :)

Don’t copy, not that mine’s freakin’ original or anything, in fact, there are wayyy better stories here worth copying. Still, dont do that! lol :]

and i thought i was gonna finish this at chap 20....oh well :)

must...stop...babbling...too much...on author's notes xD