Who We'll Be

Fragile

~One year later~

Days...weeks...months...passed me by so swiftly.

And as they did, I learned to hold on to one thing.

The one thing that used to bring me happiness, hope, and serenity.

The thing that used to bring meaning to my life.

The thing that give me reason to stay alive.

The thing I used to believe in...

The thing they call love.

But today made me realize how much I should let go, to forget it, because, maybe...it didn't exist at all.

I only felt it once, and I'm not even sure if that's what it was.

And I don't think I even remember that feeling at all.

Today I realized...

...how pointless it was.

I could survive without it.

It was unessential in my life.

There's no need for it...

...or so I thought.


* * *

My deafening cry made it hard for me to speak clearly.

"Honey, it's okay," my mom crooned, rubbing my back as I poured my eyes out on her shoulder. "There are way better guys out there."

"H-he is such a liar!" I screamed. "I actually believed in him! And, and he lied! Again! I can't believe he'd d-do thi-this to me! I hate him!"

I closed my eyes as my pathetic tears continued to fall hastily as I hugged my mom, and the memory of my last phone call to Jersey—I'm glad it was really, really far away from here—this afternoon rewind in my head once more, as if to torture me.

* * *

Today I decided to call Sky again. Another attempt for him to answer, which will most likely fail. It had been months since he stopped answering my calls, and won't reply or chat or email me back for some mysterious reason. We had been calling each other almost everyday, asking how things were going, until he started to stop calling me, until I'm the one who started calling him, but he never answered.

I could remember our last talk on my cell phone, as I picked up my telephone again...

"...and I'm really happy, you know. My dad and I are getting along really well now. I continued to live alone at our old house, but he would come visit me whenever he could and provide me everything I need, and his new family thinks it isn't a problem. I actually have a little brother and sister now. Isn't that great?"

"That's really great, Sky! I'm really happy for you."

"What about you? How's your life in there?"

Where? In this hellhole? Without you? I'm doing great.

"I'm good."

"I promise I'll come back soon."

"Okay. Hey, I need to go. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Okay. I love you."

"'Love you too. Bye."

"Bye. Oh, and Symmery?"

"Yeah?"

"I miss you. So bad."

And that was our last conversation...and 'bad' was his last word! Is that an omen or something? That something 'bad' is going to happen?

I don't even remember the day we had a long conversation like that. I think it was about a few months ago that I heard that voice of his. And I'm willing to battle samurai warriors just to hear it again. If I could fight them now, I would. But since no samurai warrior wants to fight me, I have no other choice but to sit by the phone and call, and wait for him to answer.

This time, I dialed his home phone number, since he won't answer my calls in his own phone.

It rang for a while, and someone finally answered.

"Hello?"

I was expecting to hear Sky's angelic
voice, but instead, the 'hello' I recieved sounded too girly for a guy. And it was quite familiar.

"Hello?" she said again.

And this time, I recognized who the reciever was.

Lauren.

My heart sank.

I thought...he told me he'll break up with her? We never really talked about her but...

Why is she in his house answering his phone?

Where is he?


"Lauren? Where's Sky?" I asked quickly, holding my breath as I waited for her answer.

"Huh? Who's this?" she asked, confused. Can't she see the caller ID? But the uninterested tone of her voice told me that she's too busy to even look at it or talk to me.

I gripped the phone tightly.

"Just tell me where he is. Now."

There was a pause, and I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was smiling.

"Sky is...um...can you just call again later?"

And the next words she said just made my fragile heart break into a million pieces, with the splinters piercing my every vein as it did.

"...he's talking to his dad about our wedding."

* * *

My mom and I had been silent in the past minutes, and my anger and sadness had subsided for a bit.

"Mom?" I called. "If you really love someone, and he loves you back, but you'd been apart, you'd do anything to know if the person still feels the same way, right? You won't just let it slip away..."

Especially when he's your best friend...

"I guess so."

"Mom..."

"Yes?"

"I want to go to Jersey. I want to talk and fix things with him."
♠ ♠ ♠
subscribe? comment?
thank you one jillion times :D
i really really appreciate it! like REALLY. :)