Status: completed

21 Steps to Get the Wrong Guy

Step 14

"See ya Monday Em," Brett said as he pulled up to my house.

I nodded. "See you later," I replied as I got out of his car. I walked into my house and suddenly felt really gross.

I felt like I could still feel Christian's grimy hands still on me. "What happen to you?" my mom asked as she came into the living room.

I shook my head. "You don't want to know. Tomorrow, can you tell me how to spot a stupid date. You know, just for future reference," I said as I started walking up the stairs.

"I guess, if you want," she agreed.

"Thanks," I shouted as I went into my room. I took a long shower, scrubbing my skin harshly to remove the nasty feeling of Christian.

I washed my face and hair over and over again. Once I finally felt clean, I got in my pajamas and got in the bed. It was already pretty late.

When I woke up, my phone was ringing. I turned over and reached for my phone. "Hello," I mumbled with a groggy, sleepy tone.

"Hey Emily, we're having a game day at Lilly's house. You down?" Heather asked in a cheery voice.

"Uh yea sure whatever. Can I go back to sleep now?" I whined.

She laughed. "Go back to bed sleeping beauty," she teased and hung up. I put my phone back down but I couldn't go back to sleep.

I got out of bed and walked downstairs. My mom sat at the table with her bowl of cereal half full and I suddenly remembered what I was supposed to do today.

"Oh mom, when are we supposed to check out venues today?" I asked her as I sat down on the other side of the table without getting breakfast.

She looked in her planner book that's always within arm distance of her. She never forgets it and never leaves it.

"Did I tell you today? I'm sorry honey, I meant next Sunday. Today I have to make sure Lindsay and Justin's wedding goes according to plan. Lindsay is a very picky bride so nothing can go wrong today," she explained and I sighed in relief.

I wanted to help with the bachelorette party but I needed to hang out with my friends right now. I guess I'll give Heather the joy of hearing that she was right about Christian.

Skipping the boring stuff, hours later, I'm at Lilly's house, ringing the doorbell. The door starts to open and I was just about to tell Lilly or Heather that I had terrible news but someone else stopped me in my tracks.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Cam.

He smirked at me. "Kiss me if I'm wrong, but isn't this my house?" he asked.

I shook my head and pushed him so I could come inside. "Lilly, I thought dogs were supposed to stay in the backyard," I told her.

She laughed but didn't move from her seat on the couch. Heather sat beside her and Brett was on the other couch. The monopoly board was lying on the coffee table.

"You guys started a game without me?" I pouted as I sat next to Brett.

"Yea, you took so freaking long to get here. Lilly and I started this game last night and just started Brett and Cam with half the amount of money of the richest player," Heather said.

"Well I don't want to do that. Can we play a different game?" I asked.

Heather shot up and cheered. "I win," she shouted.

Lilly rolled her eyes and Brett sat back with a sigh of defeat. Cam came over to sit next to my legs on the floor with his back against the couch.

"Heather said you would want to play a different game when you came and I said you would just buy in. We bet whoever was right would win the game automatically," Lilly explained to me.

I smiled. "You should know that I don't like having a little bit of money in a monopoly game. I give up when I run out of hundreds," I reminded her.

Lilly shrugged and Heather started packing up the game. I helped her because both of us have OCD when it comes to putting away monopoly. Everything has to be perfect and go in as nicely as it came out or better than that.

As Heather put the box away and picked another game I turned to Brett. "Did you tell them about last night?" I asked him quietly.

"Tell us what?" Heather shouted as she walked back in with scrabble.

I told them the whole story of last night and Heather gradually became angrier and angrier as the story went on.

"Let me get this straight. You let this bastard take you to a wild party, grind all over you, get drunk, and then try to have sex with you?" she summed it up. I nodded miserably. "I'm going to kill him!" she yelled.

"The nerve of that guy," Lilly added.

"That's exactly what I was thinking," Brett agreed.

I looked at Cam and he just shrugged. "That's how Christian is. He only talks to girls to get them in bed," he declared.

"Why didn't you warn us before?" Heather screamed at him.

Cam shrugged. "I wanted to see if he could still win the bet," he whispered.

Everyone looked at each other in a long moment of angry silence. "What bet, Cam?" I asked him slowly.

He sighed and looked up at me. "Jack bet that Christian could never make a girl fall for him. That's why he tripped you, taking the bet literal and collecting twenty bucks right then while I helped you up. Then they bet again that he couldn't redeem himself and get you to sleep with him," he explained everything.

"And you didn't bother telling me?" I asked, my voice breaking slightly as reality sunk in.

I was just a game to Christian and his friends. No one cared for my feelings. I was just another girl with a pulse to screw and go through the list. I think this might be the lowest I have ever felt.

"It's the code of silence. When two dudes are in a bet no one speaks about it. Apparently the bet is over," he claimed as he looked at the ground, afraid of catching anyone's eyes.

"Screw the code of silence! Would you stay quiet if someone bet they could kill Em? Couldn't you find a loophole?" Heather yelled at him again as she stood up and grabbed his arm.

"I tried to. She didn't listen to me," Cam replied as Heather pulled him towards the door and threw him out.

"Gosh, this world is full of stupid guys. Brett, is there any secret you have for us?" Heather said angrily.

He looked around and shook his head. "I'm glad we figured out the truth. A little pissed, but glad," he admitted.

"Cam's right," I whispered.

"Right about what?" Lilly and Brett asked at the same time.

"He did try to warn me in my psychology class a few weeks ago," I told them.

They looked at me with a confused gaze. "Then why didn't you listen to him?" Heather asked as she sat back down.

"Because he was all cryptic. He said Christian had an act for throwing himself at girls. Doesn't it sound like a normal boy trait to you?" I asked them.

Everyone looked at each other and shook their heads. "No," they chorused.

I shrugged and started opening up scrabble. "So who's up for a game of scrabble?" I asked and hoped to get their minds off of everything that just happened.

They mumbled their agreements and we played scrabble for the rest of the day.