Status: completed

21 Steps to Get the Wrong Guy

Step 15

It's been difficult escaping Christian's psycho pleas the past few days. I've never been more glad for the weekend.

And I'll bet he made a bet that he could get me back. That's probably the only reason why he's speaking to me and I refuse to give in to his gambling ways.

"You guys are terrible best friends," I whined. Heather and Lilly laughed as they scooted closer to their dates.

Brett wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "It's okay sweetie, I'm here for you," he told me with a grin.

I smiled at his attempt to cheer me up.

We all bought our tickets and some popcorn and drinks to share. Brett had to get like every pack of candy they sold. He's such a sweets fanatic it's crazy.

I didn't pay too much attention to the movie. Besides I lost when we voted for which movie to see. I wanted to see a scary movie. I actually felt like watching people get killed. Usually scary movies give me nightmares but right now I needed something to take my mind off of the disaster that was my life.

However, Lilly didn't want nightmares because she still gets so scared to the point where she sleeps in her parents' bed or orders sleepovers every night until she feels safe enough to sleep alone.

It's kind of funny that she's still such a scaredy cat. I have never seen someone as scared as she is and it's just really funny to me. I mean I get scared but not scared enough to jump in the bed with my mom.

Anyways, once the movie was over I went to the bathroom. I drank a whole 32 ounce by myself and I really had to go.

When I came out I was fixing my shirt and bumped into someone who instantly caught me before I fell back. I looked up to thank this person from not letting me fall but when I saw who it was I rolled my eyes and started walking off.

"I believe that was you falling for me now. Does that mean I have a chance?" Cam called out as he caught up with me.

"You never did, you never will," I told him as I kept walking. Heather, Lilly, and Brett were in plain sight but none of them were coming to help me get away from him.

Cam's arm swooped around my waist and turned me to face him as our bodies pressed together. "But your lips look so lonely," he said. I was completely confused. That's not the first thing that I expected him to say. "Would they like to meet mine?" he asked.

I should have known he was going with another heartwarming cheesy pick up line. As much as I want to smile right then, I couldn't. I couldn't let him think that he had a chance.

I tried to push away from him but he just held me closer. "I'm truly sorry for not telling you about the bet earlier. That was a low blow and I apologize," he told me with clear sincerity in his blue eyes.

"I just need you to tell me one thing," I ordered.

"Anything," he replied.

"Does Christian have another bet to see if he can get me back?" I asked, afraid of the answer. I mean its only to be expected that it is a bet but I kind of don't want it to be. I want him to be sincere in his apology.

Cam shook his head. "I don't talk to Christian anymore but I haven't heard of any bet. Jack told me he's been trying to talk to you," he answered.

I nodded. "I figured he bet that I could fall for him again," I explained.

"No, I think he really wants you to like him. As far as he's concerned, you're the only girl in the world that doesn't like him and he'll do anything for that to change," he said as he slowly started letting go of me.

"But Heather doesn't like him and I don't see him trying to talk to her," I reminded.

He shrugged. "She bickers with him. He doesn't feel too hated but you won't talk to him at all. That's bothering him to no end," he explained.

I shrugged and pushed Cam away. This time he actually dropped his arms and let me move away from him. "I've got to go," I said before turning to leave.

"I won't give up. You're my peanut butter and jelly," he called out behind me.

My heart tugged. Now that I know what that meant I found it to be the most romantic thing any guy could ever say.

"What was that about?" Tony asked as I made my way back to the group.

I shook my head. "Nothing, don't worry about it," I replied with a fake smile.

"Well I'm worrying about it. What did he say to you?" Heather chipped in.

I rolled my eyes and headed for the exit of the theater. "Not to bud in but you and Cam looked so happy before. I mean Christian was cool and all but Cam was better," Gavin told me as he caught up to me.

"Thanks for that but you really don't understand what happened," I told him with a hint of anger in my voice.

"Then tell me," he challenged.

I shook my head. "It's too complicated to explain," I stated as I slowed down my pace so everyone else could catch up to us.

"I can tell when guys do things because they want to and when they do it just to outdo the other guy. Cam really did things because he wanted to," Gavin admitted.

"Thanks, I'll think about that when I find a different guy to date and completely forget about my suckish high school life," I told him with sarcastic happiness.

He shrugged and Lilly hugged him. "She's just a hard nut to crack," she told him and pecked his lips.

"Well you guys being all romantic isn't helping much. I don't know why I even bothered inviting you guys. I should have known you guys wouldn't want to see a movie without your boyfriends," I complained.

Brett laughed. "I came alone. I could have brought a guy but I figured you would need me," he confessed.

"Thanks Brett, someone that uses their head," I declared with a slight bitterness towards Lilly and Heather.

"We're helping too. We're helping you get over your anger towards all happy couples," Heather claimed.

I shrugged. "Well it's not working too well," I muttered.

She laughed. "Aw come on, you know you still love us," she said as she came over to give me a hug.

"I have no other choice," I sighed and everyone laughed.

I guess Heather was right. In some ways, she was keeping me from hating happy couples.