Status: completed

21 Steps to Get the Wrong Guy

Step 18

I grabbed the biggest bowl I could find and dumped the popcorn into it. It didn't look like enough so I decided to make another bag of popcorn.

"You know, Heather and Lilly were right about you," I stated out of the blue as I started the microwave and then turned around to look at Cam.

"How's that?" he asked as he casually leaned back against the island in Lilly's kitchen.

"You're good company," I replied as I remembered what Lilly told me earlier to make me stay.

That seemed like so long ago when surely it could have only been a few hours. Now I actually don't mind Cam. Sure, his pick up lines are cheesy and tries too hard for my attention but he's fun to be around. I like it.

Cam smiled at me. "What?" I asked him as I couldn't help but to smile back.

"Is someone starting to like me?" he questioned as he stood straight up and started walking closer to me again.

I shook my head as I laughed and pushed him away. "No, I just don't mind you being around," I explained.

He shrugged. "Is there a difference?"

I was about to answer him but I closed my mouth again, realizing I had no way to answer that. I knew there was a difference. I didn't like him like him. I just liked hanging out with him. He was funny and charming and I need some humor in my life.

That doesn't mean I like him though. It just means I like his presence. He's like Lilly or Heather but more funny and less female of course.

Just then, my phone went off. I checked the caller ID and rolled my eyes. I guess Christian just remembered he has my number.

"Who's calling you?" Cam asked but I shook my head and put my phone on the counter beside me. Cam leaned over and grabbed my phone.

"He won't leave me alone and now he's calling me. My weekends were supposed to be breaks from him," I whined.

"So you gave him a chance. Why can't you give me one?" he questioned as he set my phone back down where I placed it. He moved his hand to rest on top of mine.

I slid my hand out from under his and stepped back from him. "Because I don't like you that way. You're funny and great to hang out with but I don't want to date you," I told him sternly.

"That's not a good enough reason. That's a reason to end things but that's not a reason to not give me a chance. I deserve at least a chance," he demanded.

I shook my head. "Cam, I'm in a very complexed state right now. I've realized that the guy I've liked for four years is a complete douche, I've been used for a bet, and on top of things, my dad wants to come back into my life. I just can't deal with this right now," I confessed as I left the kitchen. As I was walking out, the microwave beeped.

I figured Cam could bring the popcorn in by himself. He really was a nice guy but I just can't deal with a boyfriend right now. I just need time to myself and with Christian bugging me all the time that's just not possible.

Before I walked into the living room, I took a huge breath. I didn't want Lilly and Heather to see how distraught I was.

"Hey, Cam will be in soon with the popcorn," I told them.

"What about drinks?" Heather asked.

I looked at her and then hit myself in the forehead. "I totally forgot about those," I complained.

"Don't worry about it," Lilly dismissed as she patted the seat on the couch next to her for me to sit.

Heather covered the seat with a pillow. "Um no, I'd like a pepsi. Be a doll and get it for me please," she asked but it sounded more like a command.

"Can I get one too please?" Lilly added.

I rolled my eyes and walked back into the kitchen. Hopefully Cam was ready to just drop the discussion we just had.

When I walked into the kitchen I saw Cam about to open another bag of popcorn. "Surely two is enough," I told him.

He turned to me with a smile before shrugging and putting the bag away. "Fine, but if you guys want more I'm not the waiter," he teased as he closed the cupboard and turned to face me.

We were caught in an awkward silence. Neither of us knew what to say so we just stood on opposite sides of the island and looked at each other.

Finally the silence was getting to much for me to bare and I had to think hard to remember why I came into the kitchen in the first place.

"I came here to get drinks," I told Cam and he just smiled. I guess he didn't really have to know what I was doing but I just wanted to stop the awkward silence.

I started walking to the fridge but Cam got there faster than I did. He held out his arms behind him as he faced me and kept the fridge out of my reach.

"They're for Heather and Lilly," I pleaded as I tried to reach around him for the fridge handle but he wasn't letting me pass.

"I have a proposition," he said.

"And I have a fist, now move," I replied as I started pounding on his chest.

Cam laughed and grabbed my wrists, stopping my fetal attempt to hurt him. I looked up at his face and he was staring down at me. His eyes flickered from mine to my lips and back again.

"Kiss me," he whispered.

I tried to get out of his grip but he held me tighter. One hand held both of my wrists as the other snaked around my waist and pulled me close. That gesture alone caught me by surprise but then he swooped down and kissed me and I was lost.

My mind flew out of the window and I kissed him back. I ran my fingers through his hair which looked like a great thing to do ever since the first day I met him. His hands held my waist and slightly moved up my shirt.

My lips slightly opened and his tongue probed around in my mouth. We fought each other playfully for dominance.

"My throat is drying up," Heather shouted and I quickly pushed away from Cam.

He opened his eyes to look at me and he was about to say something but I cut him off.

"I'll bring the popcorn in. You can bring the drinks," I ordered quickly as I walked over to the popcorn bowl. I turned to him just before I left the kitchen. "They want pepsi and I would like a sprite."

I walked back into the living room with the bowl of popcorn. I quickly sat down in between Heather and Lilly and started eating the popcorn in my lap as a preview just ended.

"Where's my drink?" Heather asked as if I had forgotten.

"Cam is bringing it in," I told her. The screen went to the main menu for the movie and I was just about to start it when I thought that Cam would miss the beginning.

"Did something happen? Why couldn't you guys come in at the same time?" Lilly asked with a smile on her face.

I turned to her and glared. "Nothing happened," I mumbled.

"You have to tell me," Heather yelled. I quickly turned to look at her and shook my head.

"Here are your drinks ladies," Cam announced as he gave everyone their drinks and then took a seat on the other couch.

I pressed play on the remote and opened my can of sprite. "So what happened in my kitchen?" Lilly questioned slowly.

"Lilly," I yelled.

"I want to know too," Heather claimed. Cam just smiled at me and I glared back at him.

"Nothing happened," I repeated with a unwavering voice. I looked directly at Cam in a way as to say don't tell them a thing.

Cam smiled back at me and turned to the TV. Just as the opening credits were starting, I heard his voice. "We made out," he said loud enough for all of us to hear.

"What?!" Lilly and Heather shouted in unison. Heather paused the movie and Lilly scooted closer to me. Both of them had huge smiles plastered on their faces.

Great, now instead of movie night we're going to talk about things that shouldn't have happened.

Thanks Cam.