Status: completed

21 Steps to Get the Wrong Guy

The Morning After

"My mom's car isn't in the driveway. Odd," I thought aloud.

Cam laughed as he parked in front of my house and quickly jogged to my side to open my door. The gesture was so chivalrous and took me by surprise.

As I got out of the car, our faces got so close and our eyes locked. I was about to push him away but his eyes looked so inviting and his lips were so enticing.

My phone started ringing and made me jump out of the intense moment. "Won't be home tonight," I read the text I got from my mom. I turned off my phone and looked up at Cam. I don't know why but a strange feeling washed over me and I felt like I needed to spend more time with him. "Do you want to come inside? We can watch some movies," I offered.

He smiled and nodded before following me into my house. We didn't do anything. I grabbed a few blankets from the closet and we lied on the couch while watching TV. At some point, we fell asleep.

When I woke up, the TV was off but Cam and I were lying closely to each other instead of sitting up still. I put my head on his chest and cradled into his side so I wouldn't fall off the couch. I was too tired to get up and get in bed.

The next time I woke up, it was morning. I turned my head towards the couch to shield myself from the sun intruding through the blinds.

I heard a low groan as I moved and felt the couch under me shutter as if it were breathing. I opened my eyes to notice I was lying on top of Cam. I tried to get up quickly but his hands quickly grabbed my waist and held me close to him.

"Can't we just stay like this for a little longer?" he groaned, half asleep still. His eyes were still closed but I knew he didn't go back to sleep that quickly.

"If my mom catches us like this I might be eternally grounded," I said as I tried to get up again. This time he let me.

"Good point," he responded as he yawned and stretched.

I walked into the kitchen and grabbed two bowls and two spoons. I wasn't in the mood to cook a big breakfast.

Cam came stumbling in a few minutes later. "What kind of cereal would you like?" I questioned before listing off all the ones in the cupboard.

In the end, we both settled for Lucky Charms. We ate quietly for the most part and when I finished I looked at Cam.

"Last night was fun," I commented.

Cam looked at me with a smirk on his face. "I told you a date with me wouldn't be bad," he replied.

"But I think we're better as friends. We just get along as best buds," I pushed.

He smirked and stood up. I froze to my seat, unsure of what he was about to do. He bent over beside me, placed one finger under my chin and tilted my face toward his. He looked into my eyes for a bit, almost as if he was searching for something in them.

Then he smiled and before I could ask, he molded his lips to mine and his hands went into my knotty hair. I let my mind slip away like the last time and responded to his kiss with pure hormones.

I stood up to get closer to him and ran my fingers through his hair. We couldn't have been kissing for more than a minute before I heard a clicking noise.

I broke away from Cam and looked towards the entrance of the kitchen. My mom stood there with a camera in hand. "Teenage love, such a sweet thing to capture," she announced.

"Hello Ms. Miller, I apologize for the scene. It seems Emily doesn't know how to control herself," Cam teased. I nudged my elbow into his side as he laughed.

My mom laughed as well. "Don't try to pin this on my daughter. I may be old but I can tell you're quite the charmer," she said with a smile.

I felt like slipping into a black hole at that exact moment in time. Maybe a few seconds earlier so my mom wouldn't catch me kissing Cam.

She left the kitchen and I collapsed into my chair, holding my face in my hands out of pure embarrassment. "I apologize," I declared.

Cam chuckled. "Apologize for the kiss?" he asked.

I raised my head and shook it. "No, I apologize for my mom. Although I should be mad you won so many brownie points with her," I commented.

He smiled and kissed my forehead. "I think you should really give us a try. Your mom already loves me. I like you and I can tell from your reaction to a kiss that you like me too. Your friends are okay with us so what's holding you back. Just say yes," he urged.

I bit my lip and pondered over everything he said. My friends were practically pushing us together. My mom obviously liked him as she just witnessed us mauling each other and she didn't kick him out and ground me forever.

I guess I can't deny that I like him more than a friend. There's something about his kisses that make me lose my mind. Even as I think about the kiss now, I'm staring at those lovely full lips.

"And I can tell you want to kiss me again. Just give us a shot," he pleaded.

"What if I get hurt?" I questioned.

He shook his head. "I'd never hurt you," he promised.

I knew that was a big promise to keep. I knew it was almost impossible for him to keep it but I didn't care. It was the fact that he said it with such conviction. He honestly felt that he could protect me.

It was enough for me to give him a chance. Then my mind flashed to Christian and I remembered I was supposed to meet him today. I checked the time to see I had to be at the park in an hour.

"Can we talk about this later? Why don't we meet up at the pizza place in town. We can talk there," I told him.

"I thought today was going pretty well and now you want to push me away," Cam teased.

I grabbed his shoulders and kissed him. This kiss wasn't as long or as passionate but I wanted to get a point across. "I'm definitely thinking about us. I just have to freshen up for the day and then I'll see you later," I assured.

Cam looked shocked as if he never expected me to take him seriously. "Well okay, I'll see you later then," he replied in a daze as he walked himself out.

I quickly went upstairs, showered and dressed. "I like that boy," mom claimed as she stood in my doorway.

"Really? I haven't noticed. The hug he gave you last night or the way you joked with him this morning didn't give anything away at all," I retorted sarcastically.

She rolled her eyes and I laughed as she walked away. I grabbed my keys and went downstairs. "See you later mom," I called before walking out of the door.

I got into my car and drove to the park. I saw Christian already sitting on the bench. I sat next to him but we had a lot of distance between us.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked him, preparing to hear a full report of why he took the bet and why he played my emotions for so long.