Status: completed

21 Steps to Get the Wrong Guy

Lunch Jokes

"Haha, you should have seen your epic fail from my point of view," Heather laughed as we sat at our normal spot for lunch.

This was the best place to sit, in my opinion. This was the only oak tree on campus and when the days got hot, we were thankful for the shade it provided.

Lilly especially liked this spot because her skin burned easily. I always found it kind of funny and it was even better to see Heather pat Lilly on the back as she winced in pain.

Heather's harsh behavior and cruel words were just what Lilly and I needed. Every group needs that one pessimistic person to keep the group from flying up in the clouds. Heather was definitely the perfect person.

Her feet landed firmly on the ground, strong enough to keep Lilly and I both from flying away to our fantasy lands.

"I didn't think it was too funny," I muttered under my breath before taking a bite into my granola bar.

"Yea Heather, you shouldn't either. She could have really gotten hurt and then I bet you would feel bad," Lilly tried to penetrate the tough walls of Heather's heart.

Unfortunately, that will never happen. No sympathy or kindness can pass that barrier even if it tried. "No Lilly, I wouldn't feel bad because I wasn't the one who tripped her," Heather replied.

She turned to me with a cold glare. "And he's more of a heartless bastard than I am. Honestly, he tripped you purposely and then didn't even help you up. That's someone that's not worth it," she said.

I shrugged. "Who knows what was going on in his head. It could have been a dare or he might have thought I was someone else. I don't know," I said the last part quieter, getting a little unsure of myself.

"Why can't you see it? Everyone else does but you two super optimists," Heather yelled at us.

"Maybe that's just your opinion. Aren't you supposed to be a sophomore? You wouldn't understand adult stuff," I said to her, knowing that she hated being treated like a kid.

Heather huffed and pursed her lips together. "I'm a lot smarter than you were at this age and if I were you I wouldn't bother about how old I am. It just simply means you'll die two years before me. How's that for karma?" she countered.

I gave her a sarcastic smile and she returned it. No matter how mean we acted towards each other, I still loved her. She may act heartless but I know she just has a weird way of protecting the people close to her.

"Hey girlies," Brett greeted us as he approached us.

"Brett, you saw him trip her right?" Heather asked him.

He smiled uneasily but nodded. "It was pretty obvious it was no accident," he explained.

I sighed and threw my trash in the nearby trash can without getting up from my comfortable seat upon the roots of the tree. I held the last half of my granola in my hand as I took tiny nibbles from it so my mouth wasn't full when I wanted to talk.

"I'll admit that wasn't a good moment," I said.

"I didn't know angels were allowed to come down to Earth," I heard a voice say from my side. I turned to see Cam sitting down beside me. He took the liberty of allowing himself to grab the last bite of my granola bar.

"That one was terribly lame," I chuckled.

"How many angels are you talking about exactly?" Heather asked him with a cautious look.

"Trust me, no one expects you came from heaven," I teased her. She stuck her tongue out and we laughed, already forgetting the fight about Christian.

Brett looked interested enough in Cam. He kept looking from me to him. I don't want to introduce him though. Introducing him to my friends gives him the illusion that I actually want him around.

Sooner or later though, the silence got to much for Brett and he just had to introduce himself. "I'm Brett," he said to Cam as he held out his hand.

Cam shook his hand and then brought his attention to Lilly. "I'm Lilly," she introduced herself and gave him a small wave.

He looked lastly at Heather. "Who are you first off?" she asked rudely.

This is why I loved Heather. Her guarded ways sometimes kicked in at just the right moments.

"They call me Cam, but you can call me tonight," he joked with a wink.

I giggled and shook my head at his dumb move.

"Wow, a classic, cheesy pick up line. No wonder why Emily made a new friend," she said with a monotone voice.

"Oh you're the guy that helped Emmy with her stuff this morning," Lilly realized.

Cam smiled. "Yea, I'm that guy," he grinned.

"And the guy that got me in trouble during sex ed," I added.

"Now this is interesting," Heather said as she perked up a bit.

Lilly looked at her and then back at us. Brett had the same curious stare that Lilly had. "What exactly did Mrs. Sasaki make you guys do?" Brett asked.

Everyone knew how terrible Mrs. Sasaki could embarrass us but only a few knew it by experience. Brett is one of those few and now I am too.

"I rather not talk about it," I said with discomfort showing on my face as I thought about this morning.

Cam laughed. "We got to show off our bodies," Cam said with a smirk as he flexed his arms.

I shot him a glare. He just laughed again. "She's just mad because practically everyone was looking at her boobs. Oh and Sasaki called her a hormonal psycho," he added.

Heather and Brett laughed, Lilly looked sorry for me, and as for Cam, he looked like he was having the time of his life.

I crossed my arms and looked away, hoping that by the time I zoned back into their conversation, they would be on a different topic besides my humiliation.