Status: completed

21 Steps to Get the Wrong Guy

Step 5

"Today's the day," I claimed as my eyes stayed locked on Christian.

"Oh my gosh, how many time will I have to hear you say that?" Heather whined and Lilly hit her arm.

I didn't even bother arguing with her today. I figured since Cam got along with my friends so well yesterday that maybe I'll get along with his friends.

Yea, it's not the best plan but I have nothing left.

I stood up and took a deep breath. "Go for it Em," Lilly cheered me on quietly.

I smiled and walked confidently towards Cam. Every step away from Heather gave me more confidence as I realized that I was proving her wrong. I was really about to talk to Christian and she could no longer make fun of me for being chicken.

Then it dawned on me, somewhere in the halfway point, that I was stepping closer to Christian. The accomplished pride that I established was quickly being trampled by the terrible fear of actual saying something to Christian.

What if he hates my voice?

What if I have something on my face?

What if he hates my smile?

What if he hates my laugh?

What if I say something stupid?

What if he hates my shirt?

Yea, that was one question I didn't have to worry about. My shirt was just a plain purple but what if he hates purple?

I mentally slapped myself out of the 'What if' spiral and realized I was practically six feet away. I still had to think of something to say.

Maybe I could bring up some kind of assignment we had to do? That wouldn't work because we don't get homework - or any work for that matter - in sex ed.

Maybe I could say a cheesy joke? No, because if it's too cheesy then Christian will never give me a chance and then I'm screwed.

Ten seconds left and I'm lost for words. Here goes nothing.

Three... Two... One...

"Emily, what are you doing over here?" Cam saved me from having to make a stupid greeting to push myself in their conversation.

"I figured since you met my friends, I should meet yours," I thought up quickly. So it wasn't the smoothest approach but I don't problem-solve well under pressure.

Cam smiled. "Sure, that's Jack, Trevor, Blaine, Ron, and Christian, the idiot that tripped you yesterday," Cam said the last part with a bit of cruelty.

Christian smiled brightly. "I apologize for the incident yesterday. I didn't see you walking there," he explained as he took my hand and kissed it.

"Apology accepted," I replied feebly, feeling my limbs go numb at his touch.

Cam took my hand out of Christian's quickly and I gave him a look that could kill. "You shouldn't accept his apology so easily. He did it purposely for his own fun," Cam stood up for me.

I shrugged. "It doesn't matter. I didn't get hurt that badly," I replied. Nothing was hurt physically but my pride definitely took quite a spill.

Christian smiled and put his arm around my shoulders. "See, she's okay," he told Cam.

Let me take a few minutes to explain how incredibly awesome I feel at the moment. I can't believe talking to Christian was this easy.

I stepped over here about two minutes ago and he already has his arm around me. I feel like I just won the lottery.

I feel like a Eskimo that just found the greatest heat supply, and it smells good too.

"Are you sniffing me?" Christian asked.

I cursed myself mentally before looking up at him. "Yes," I answered quietly, "you smell pretty good."

I figured honesty was the best policy. People like when you tell them they smell good so I assumed that was a good thing to say.

Christian laughed giving me a bit of hope that I wasn't completely stupid and he didn't pull away from me so that was good. "Thanks, you smell good too," he returned the compliment and I smiled.

"Emily is also the girl that I got in trouble," Cam claimed with a smirk.

I turned to him and gave him a cold glare. "That was not funny and I don't appreciate you telling everyone about it," I remarked.

He shrugged. "It was adorable watching you trying to avoid eye contact with everybody," he said.

"What did you guys have to do?" Trevor asked.

Cam explained it to them and they all laughed. I stuck my tongue out at Cam for keeping the embarrassing moment alive. I thought for sure it would be forgotten by today even though that was only yesterday.

The bell rang and I, out of instinct, started walking to class but Christian just held me tighter into his side. "What class do you have right now?" he asked.

Ahhhhh, Christian was asking for my schedule. I mean it was only one class but that will lead to asking for another and then another until he knows my whole schedule.

Cam pushed Christian's arm off of me and grabbed my hand. "Actually we have sex ed together right now," he answered for me. I turned to him so I could tell him off for answering for me. "See ya later Chris," he called as he pulled me along with him towards our class.

We walked for a bit in silence. I wasn't sure what words in what order could make my anger show in flaming colors.

"What was all that about? I can answer my own questions," I asked him just as we got to our class.

"Trust me, you're much better off not talking to him," Cam said as he took his seat behind me.