Status: Inactive (please see my profile)

Through All These Cities...

You Keep Your Thoughts, By Your Pillow

You are my Manhattan from the sky
You look so neat and tidy when I’m way up high,
But I know your streets are lined with a fine mess inside
And I wanna’ come down and walk around your mind.


When everyone claps, and cheers, and makes about as much noise as they can, I can’t help but smile. A reception like that on our first real show, of our first real tour, is more than anyone could wish for.

“We’ve been ‘That Band’ and now we’re going to leave you in the not so safe hands, of the people you really came to see, Elliot Minor!”

There’s more cheering as we file off, taking as much of our equipment as possible on the first trip, meaning I only have to make two more trips on to the darkened stage to get my stuff before I get the all clear to head back to the dressing room and change out of my stage clothes.
There’s laughing as I enter, and ‘Minor claps obnoxiously as I bow, sarcastically rolling my eyes as I snatch Alex’s Corona from his hand, and throw myself onto the cool floor.

“Oi!” He puts on his mock puppy dog face, pouting as I tip my head back and empty the half full bottle, “I was enjoying that.”

I throw him another two from the cooler by my head, taking one back as he opens it with his teeth, grinning as I stare wide eyed.

“That’s… Just… What?” I stutter, “I thought you had the opener, not that you were the opener.”

“Party trick.”

The rest of my band file in, throwing themselves down as ‘Minor evacuate their seats, standing around until their called up, talking us through what they thought of the show.

“I mean, we thought Ali showed of on the keyboard, but Tyson, you pretty much just owned him.”

“Amy pretty much demanded that I didn’t just stand still.” He looks over at me playfully, “I’m choreographed to perfection by our ring leader.”

“You make me sound like a slave driver.” I mutter around the top of my bottle, taking another large gulp, “I just didn’t want you to look dumb.”

“That last song you played?” Alex asks, crouching down next to me, “What was it called?”

“Manhattan from the sky.” I hand him another bottle to open, to which he just laughs, popping the metal of quickly with his teeth, “Why?”

He shrugs, “I liked it. Might consider covering it sometime, maybe.”

I don’t bother to reply because Tyler pulls him into a conversation about how they’d change it up to fit their style, and if they’d change the lyrics like they did with ‘Fireflies’.

“You drink a lot, huh?” Ed replaces Alex by my side, gesturing to my bottle with his own, “I lost count after you finished off your fourth.”

“I know how to handle my alcohol, Mr Minton. No need to worry.” I pat him on the head, “What time do you guys go on?”

He glances up at the clock on the wall, “A few minutes.”

“Right.” I state, standing up, not wavering at all, nor stumbling, “I’m going out front, see how the merch is selling and etcetera.”

“Don’t get hurt.” Alex chirps in, smirking as I roll my eyes.

“Or hurt anyone else, for that matter.” Tyler laughs, and I consider tackling before I go, just because I can, and he’s being a smart arse.

“What ever you say.”

“To a great first show.” Teddy proposes a toast, holding his bottle of Peroni in the air, clinking it with everyone that’s close, which is pretty much everyone, except Brooke, who stole away upstairs soon after we got moving.

“So, it said on your Facebook, that you guys come from in and around York?”

We all nod, “Brooke lives near the city centre. Tyler, I and Ashley live in Copmanthorpe, and Alice lives in Harrogate.”

“Surprised we haven’t seen you around then. We’ve met pretty much every other music act from York.”

“We tend to stick to small bars. Local pubs, that sort of thing.”

“You wouldn’t think so with the size of this bus.” Ali looks around, yet again, in amazement.

“Brooke’s parents like to see her strive, but only if it’s done with style.” I lower my eyes, “We’re lucky to have her.”

“It took us five tours to get bus this big. Even ours isn’t this luxurious. We don’t have a shower on board.”

“Well ya’ know, you can use it sometime.” Alice smiles innocently, mainly concentrating on filming our first night, panning the camera around the room.

Ed’s doing the same with his, seeing as it was permanently attached to his hand, except for when he was practising, but even then, he’d have it set up, just in case something funny happened.

“What time is it?” I sigh, helplessly looking down at my watch-less wrist, and the fact there’s no clock on the wall.

“Uhm, 14 past 2.” Teddy smiles, “In the morning.”

“Next truck stop is about 3, so we’ll swap back over to our bus then.”

“I’m hungry!” I state, clambering over the knees of Alex and Tyler who have occupied the seats next to me, trapping me against the wall for pretty much the whole night, “What food do we have?”

“Nothing like your usual snacks, Amy.” Tyler laughs, pushing me off his knee and onto the floor, “No apples of grapes.”

“I’m raiding the junk food cupboard then.”

I crawl along the floor of the bus, setting myself crossed legged in front of sweet food cupboard, head buried as I try to find something to eat to solve me sudden hunger.

“She always get’s munchies about this time. You hear her raiding the cupboards at home, and half the time, she’s still asleep and doesn’t remember it in the morning.” Alice chuckles, pointing the camera at where I’m sat, pulling packets of biscuits out of the small cupboard.

“Who doesn’t think to buy Hobnobs, I mean really?!” I throw my arms in the air, turning to see everyone staring at me, “I’m taking the gummy bears, and going to bed.”

“Bed, really?” Alice shakes her head, “You’re such a light weight.”

“I’m tired, like shattered to the point I could collapse.”

I go around the small space, dealing out hugs, high fives and everything in between as I say goodnight, having to snatch my sweets away from Alex as he makes a sly grab while I’m tickling Tyler into submission.

“Hands off, Davies. Or you won’t know what’s hit you.” I playfully scowl, shoving the bag in my back pocket, “Do you want a hug goodnight, or not?”

He contemplates mockingly for a moment, before rolling his eyes and spreading his arms out.
Just as I pull away from the comforting hug, Alex rubs my back, just once.

“G’night, love.” His voice is barely a whisper, but I’m glad I hear it, reminding myself to replay that moment, every time I can’t get to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Taken a while for me to get this out, huh?
There's another chapter in the process of being writen, so it shouldn't take me as long this time.
Comment like I know (hopefully) you will.

Song @ beginning by: Kate Voegele - Manhattan From The Sky