Status: writing

Sky Blue Haze

The beautiful home

Sky looked out into the blinding light, and waited for her vision to clear. Pretty soon Sky realized that she was looking into a artificial light when her vision didn't clear. It appeared that a giant white sheet had been covering the entrance to the room, it had been pushed back slightly by the door but it still held. Sky instinctively put her face to the sheet softly, and felt the smooth cool fabric ripple against her wounded face, letting it billow around her. She ran her fingertips along the sheet, and felt a breeze from the other side, only a slight breeze though, but it was enough. Sky knew she had to keep going, she had to get out.

She put out a hand, and touched the fabric. Sky pushed and began to walk forward, until the bottom of the sheet passed over her hair, pushing it back, and leaving a tingling sensation on her scalp from the movement of hair from the sheet. On the other side of the sheet, was a room in darkness, an add on to the room she had just been in. The room itself was lit with a single dim light hanging from the center of the roof. Surrounding her were tools and plastic sheeting. Someone had begun to paint the room a bright blue, but had stopped midway, leaving a disturbing contrast between the previous colour, dark purple, and the half finished new coat.

Sky looked around the room for something else, a scrap of anything to tell her where she was.. but like before, there was nothing. Sky continued the door of the half finished room, and opened it. Fortunately this door wasn't locked, which saved Sky's shoulder from a lot of pain. She stepped out into a long hallway, littered with photos hanging on the wall and doors left and right. Sky guessed that it must have been someones home before it was, quite clearly, abruptly deserted. For what reason, Sky didn't know, all she knew was that she had to get out.

Slowly Sky began to tread down the hall, she walked quietly, not really knowing why but still continued to do it. Her bare feet sinking into the soft white carpet with every step. Her breaths short, small and light. Sky wasn't sure if she was scared or excited, either one it was helping her make that extra step towards the dark rooms ahead.

Sky reached a blue door, with an extraordinary door handle. It was the design that interested her, rather than the colour. The handle was surrounded by intricate designs, carved to look like vines twirling up a branch. Littered upon the vines were little tiny leaves and blossoms. The door handle showed the story of the vine throughout one year, throughout all of the different seasons. Blue, cold and littered with tiny snowflakes for winter and warm and speckled with sunshine for summer. Sky reached out to touch the door, and felt the smooth intricate detailing of the extraordinary door handle.

In all her awe, Sky forgot what she was really doing, and turned the doorknob and peeked inside. It was a study, cozy and what looked like, once warm. Sky closed the door and continued her journey thought the house. She stopped at another door, and opened it immediately.

A wardrobe, strange to have in the middle of a corridor, thought Sky. Despite her surprise, she had the idea of changing out of her blood stained clothes. Her fingers softly flicked through the assortment of clothes hanging in the closet. Her torn and bloodied fingers rested upon an article of clothing that had caught Sky's eye. It was a simple green blue dress. Sky quickly slipped it on, and found a pair of pointy flats to match. She closed the closet and quickly continued on.

Next door, empty room and the door after that and the door after that. Sky had almost given up hope. She decided to try one last door then try to find another way out. She turned the door handle and was shocked to find that she stood on cold and hard tiles. The bathroom. She padded over to the sink, and washed the blood off her hands. She watched the water as it swirled down the sink, into the drain, the red blood swirling in with the cool clear water. The water that stung Sky's skin like needles. She splashed some on her face and hair, then cleaned her wounds as best she could, ignoring the constant stinging that was ever present.

She looked into the cabinet behind the mirror, and could not believe her luck. She had found a first aid kit. She set to work cleaning and bandaging her wounds as her hair dried. Eager to leave sky braided her hair and took one last look in the mirror, satisfied that she was ready to face whatever came her way in the big unknown world. On her face, she pasted a big brave smile and walked out of the door and headed down the corridor to the front door.