Status: Discontinued.

S.H. 2: Evil Befalls Thee

The Pieces of My Heart Are Missing You

When I woke up the next morning, still tangled in Lucas’ sheets, I was alone. Lucas’ dorm-mates’ beds were still made, as if they hadn’t even been slept in. I sat up, pulling the blankets tighter to my body as I glanced around. It was cold. Colder than it should have been. Something felt wrong.

A wave of bone-aching coldness hit me and then I knew. Like with Morgan - I just knew something terrible had happened whilst I’d been sleeping. I slipped out of the bed and gathered my clothes, shivering wildly as I dressed.

The boys’ corridor was deserted, as was the common room. I cast my mind out, feeling for the psychic notes of Riley, Kota and Lucas’ minds. I sensed Riley and Kota together in our dorm, but as hard as I tried I couldn’t find Lucas.

A thought burst from me, broadcast loud as a foghorn, on every frequency I knew; where is he?!

I stumbled up the girls’ corridor, finally reaching our dorm to find the door locked.
Riley’s voice sounded from inside - ‘Laurel? That you?’

As I opened my mouth to reply, I felt a power bubbling up inside of me. I raised my hand and flicked it at the door handle. Immediately, I heard the bolt shoot back and the door opened. Riley and Kota stared at me, open mouthed.

‘Laurel, sweetie, I know this may not be the best time to discuss this, but since when have you been telekinetic?’ Kota asked.

I ignored her.

‘Where is Lucas?’ I asked, my voice little more than a strangled croak.

‘I’ll take you to him,’ Riley said, getting up.

‘Thank you,’ I almost whispered.

I followed her out of the dorm, my mind racing. Where was Lucas? Why did Riley know but not me? Was he okay?

It wasn’t until we’d nearly reached our destination that I realised where we were going. We were headed to the sickbay.

‘Oh god, Riley, is he okay?’ My voice was quiet, hoarse with fear.

‘That’s not for me to say, Laurie.’ Her voice was quieter even than mine, full of regret and apologetic sympathy.

The sickbay was deserted. No nurses, no lingering students. In fact, I realised suddenly, I hadn’t seen a single person, student or staff, since we left the dorm.

‘Riley,’ I said urgently. ‘Where is everyone?’

‘Don’t worry about it. We’ve got it under control.’

‘Under control?’

‘Don’t worry about it.’ Riley had reached the one door I’d been praying we wouldn’t have to go through.

‘No,’ I whispered. ‘Not here.’

‘I’m so sorry, Laurel, I really am,’ Riley said. She pushed that door open and held it for me.
I fell into a terrified silence and, eyes wide and scared, stepped past her.

The sight that greeted me was the most awful thing I’d ever had to see. It was worse than finding Morgan.

Lucas lay before me on the bed, his perfect body twisted and broken, lifeless. There were bloody slashes in his throat and I could tell just from one look that several of his bones were broken.

No not Lucas it can’t be please why him not Lucas!

Tears rose behind my eyes, threatening to spill down my cheeks but I forced them back and turned to Riley.

‘She did this, didn’t she?’ I choked.

Riley just nodded. I swallowed and took a deep breath before I spoke again.

‘She’s gone too far now. I’ll kill her. I swear, if it’s the last thing I do, I will kill her.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: 'When You're Gone' by Avril Lavigne