Status: Completed

My Guardian Angel

1/1

My guardian angel. Do they really exist? Or are they figments of one's imagination that makes them feel protected at all times? But if you want to know about my personal guardian angel, then you might want to brace yourself because mine is rather odd. By the way, I'm Shelby Wells.

Monday: Homeroom- English 4CP

"Alright class, today I'm going to assign you a topic and on that topic, you are to write an essay or story. This weeks topic is "Your Guardian Angel"," said Mrs. Lozano as she wrote the topic onto the white board. She turned around and smiled, "I don't mean to get religious, but I was thinking more like who do you look up to for inspiration? Who motivates you to do better? Or who might have saved you from something. I want you to look inside yourselves and really explore who you believe is someone really special to you. And I want you to take pride in who you've chosen because we're going to be sharing this as a class. But remember, what's said in here..."

"Stays in here." finished the class.

Mrs. Lozano beamed, "Excellent. Class dismissed."

The bell rang as Shelby began shoving her notebook inside her messenger bag. She walked out and met her friend by the door like they always did.

"So who are you doing your report on?" asked Stephanie as she walked beside Shelby.

Shelby shrugged, "I don't know. I'm really going to have to think about it. I guess it's good that she gave us this assignment early in the week."

Stephanie nodded, "I know. I might do mine on Davey Havok."

Shelby rolled her eyes, "I'll see you tomorrow then." Shelby walked down the stairs of the high school and found her neighbor's van waiting outside. She ran to the van and jumped into the front seat.

"You know you could just climb in like a normal person." said her mother from the back seat.

"I know. Thank you Mr. Valente." Shelby said warmly as she looked up at her neighbor.

"No problem." He simply replied as he drove them back to the apartment.

Shelby got out of the van and waited for her mother. Her mother was shaking and she knew what that meant.

"Honey, I'm going to go hang out with a couple of friends. I'll be back later. There's some food in the fridge if you get hungry, and watch Emily. I love you and I'll be back."

Shelby watched as her mother crossed the street and dart down the other block. Shelby sighed and walked up to the apartment. She unlocked the door to 936 and swung the door open lightly in case Emily was crawling around.

Shelby knew that her mother was using heroin again, and hated the fact that she always left the two girls alone to fend for themselves for days at a time. And this time was no different. Shelby walked in and found Emily asleep on the couch. She walked over and picked up the sleeping infant.

Shelby walked quietly to her bedroom and put Emily in a makeshift crib that she made for her out of a storage tub with some pillows at the bottom to make a matress. Shelby put her baby sister in the "crib" and covered her up with a blanket.

Emily wriggled a little but once she settled she sighed with content. Shelby smiled down at her sister and gently caressed her cheeks. Emily was all of maybe six months old and her mother had only spent maybe a week total with the infant since she was born.

Shelby smiled as she then walked over to her bed. She opened up her back pack and pulled out her notebook. She flipped through the pages until she came to a clean page. She then pulled out her pen from the spine and began writing. She had an idea all day about this and was excited to start writing.

Shelby Wells
English 4 Honors
Weekly Topic

My guardian angel... I never gave it much thought. I know most of my classmates will pick someone from their family, like their parents or grandparents. But mine is rather odd, I have two people in my life that I would consider my guardian angels. So we shall start with the first one.


Shelby put the pen to her lips and pondered. She knew who she was putting down, and decided to put the most helpful person down first.

One of my guardian angels' would have to be Shawn. He's a guy that lives across from my apartment, and I've known him for years. I remember when I was only in kindergarten, my mother would leave me home alone, I'd cry on the floor in pain. My stomach would hurt so much from hunger, and one day he'd come over and gave me a bag. In that bag was a burger and some fries. They were still warm, and I didn't know what to say.

Shawn is like an older brother or something like that. He's always there for me, and helps me out when I need a hand. But he believes in me, and always pushes me to do better. He says that I should stay in school so that way I won't have to stay around here anymore.

I love him dearly, and I honestly don't think that I would have made it this far without him around. Even though he's fairly young, (he's only five years older than me), he's wise. I think he was born with an old soul or something.

Shawn always tells me about fantastic journey's that he made when he ran away from home. I remember he told me once about being homeless in Santa Rosa one time. He knew that if he kept on believing that he'd make it out of there someday.

And he did, he ended up going back to school. In fact, that's what he's doing here now. He's finishing up college, he's studying to be a contractor. He says that maybe once he gets out of here, that he'd take me and Emily with him. I would honestly love that, considering he's always optimistic, even in his darkest times. He just lives life like today is his last day on Earth, and I totally envy that.

Which brings me to my second guardian angel. Emily is my little sister, but I call her my baby. She's all of six months old, but she still inspires me.

I want to better myself so that she could have a better life than what I've had. Emily doesn't do much right now, but she will when she gets older. I want to go to college and become someone so she could see what she could become.

It's for her that I try my best at school, and make it there everyday. I want to get a good education so I can get a good paying job. Then I'll get my own place, my own car, and have food in the cupboards all the time. It seems like a simple enough dream, especially when you lack all the above.

I had a hard life, but there's no reason that Emily should go through the same. She's beautiful, with her blonde curls and deep blue eyes like the midnight sky. If it wasn't for her, I'd probably be where I was at a year ago.

I was always late for school, if I even made it there. I was always running on the streets, selling narcotics. And even myself sometimes. That's what I had to do to get money. But since Emily came into my life, I've cleaned up. I do good in school, I've got a part time job at the corner market, and I'm planning to go to college.

My guardian angels are special to me and I honestly don't think I'd be here right now if it weren't for them. So I have multiples, but both are equally important to me. Without them, I wouldn't have a reason to stay in school, or try to better my life. And I'm grateful to have them both in my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like it? Comments? Thanks for reading.

What the song means to me, well it's a very touching song first of all. The first time I heard it, I was instantly reminded of my grandfathers.

Delvin was my step-grandfather, and he was a preacher. I remember singing for his congregation, and how happy life seemed at that time.

And Curtis was my biological grandfather. With him things were different, he was more into the cutural things. He'd always pay for us to go to pow-wows and dance. I was part of a dance group with my little sister, and we loved it. I always loved watching my grandfather as he watched us dancing. I've stopped because it's kind of difficult to look out to the crowd and not see his face anymore, or my mother's for that matter.

The song itself is precious. It's deeply heartfelt, and makes me cry sometimes. I get the feeling that Ronnie and co. were thinking about someone that meant a lot to them. Someone that helped them become better men, and helped them develop into who they are today.