Status: Under construction (silly computer corrupted the files ;3;)

Touch

Op. 3

“Really, why must you waste so much time listening to music? Dahlia, you are already at the age to wed.”

Mother is watching as Prudence prepares Dahlia.

“You mustn’t waste your time. You should be married already. Your father isn’t getting younger. You are blessed you still have a grandfather.”

Prudence tightens Dahlia’s corset. Dahlia gasps. Mother does not notice.

“And that man, you were flirting with…”

Mother shakes her head in disgust.

“Handsome, he may be. But Dahlia my child, remember this, no matter how handsome he should be, it should never compare to his title, wealth or inheritance.”

Dahlia frowns.

“Mother, it was not I that had approached him. I – ”

Mother interrupts Dahlia, shaking her head.

“Yet you were unchaperoned. The shame. You are blessed child, that the man had offered his services as your escort. If anyone were to know the truth of this incident, that you were unchaperoned and rendezvousing… oh the shame.”

“But mother – ”

“Come Dahlia, that is enough. We must be ready for Sir Atkins’ Ball by six. We shall not be late.”


Dahlia restrains herself from making a face. The Atkins’ are all pretentious asses.

-x-x-x-

An uneasy feeling runs through Dahlia’s veins as she enters the ballroom. No matter how many times she has attended ballroom or social activities, she would always feel uncomfortable.

“Ah! Miss Dahlia, you are the most beautiful thing that has graced us this evening!”

Sir Atkins approaches Dahlia; he slightly stumbles as he makes his way to Dahlia. Dahlia frowns. A soft, faint hint of whisky and brandy wafts in the air, trailing the man.

Prudence, Dahlia’s accompany squeezes Dahlia’s hand. Dahlia sighs.

“Pru, we must make pleasant exchanges. It is proper of us to do so.”

Prudence slightly nods her head. So many people attended Sir Atkins’ ball. The ballroom is crowded.

“Good evening, Sir. I thank you for inviting – ”

“Miss Dahlia how wonderful to see you. I pray you are fine.”


Sir Atkins takes Dahlia’s hand. He doesn’t notice her hand hesitate nor twitch when he kisses it. He turns to Prudence.

“Ah, Miss Dahlia, you must introduce me to your lovely friend.”

Dahlia feels Prudence squeeze her hand. Dahlia hesitates.

“Sir, this is my good friend Miss Prudence. Miss Prudence, this is – ”

“I am Sir Atkins, host of this magnificent ball.”


Dahlia frowns as she sees Sir Atkins eagerly take Prudence’s hand and kiss it.

Prudence glances at Dahlia, panic-stricken. Prudence hides behind her fan. To Dahlia’s dismay, Sir Atkins takes it as an act of bashfulness, perhaps flirting.

“Dahlia, may I ask to accompany Miss Prudence for the rest of the night?”

Dahlia bites her lip as she feels Prudence squeeze her hand tightly.

“I must apologize, Sir as I must decline your offer. Prudence must accompany me, for if you were to accompany her, who is to accompany me? Surely you are not suggesting me to be unchaperoned?”

Sir Atkins is taken aback at such an audacious comment. At least, he has the courtesy to be embarrassed.

“Y-yes, quite right. I hope you may forgive my brazen comment.”

Prudence lets out a breath.

“However, if I were to call my son to accompany you, that should be no problem, I take it Miss Dahlia?”

Dahlia back stiffens. This insolent man!

“I…”

Dahlia looks at the insolent man. Sir Atkins, the host of this grand ball. She had never liked the man. No matter how many times her mother had praised him, Dahlia thought him to be shameless, pretentious and arrogant. Even his countenance offended Dahlia.

Luckily, Mrs. Atkins is calling for her husband.

Dahlia takes this opportunity to escape.

“Excuse us, Sir Atkins, Mrs. Atkins.”

Dahlia and Prudence courtesy before they leave. Sir Atkins frowns as he realizes their departure. But it’s too late; Dahlia and Prudence are out of sight.

The two laugh at their success and complain of their disgust in Sir Atkins.

“I think someone here is too beautiful for their own good.”

Dahlia playfully nudges Prudence. Prudence blushes and shakes her head.

“That is disgusting, Dahlia. Why can’t I attract handsome young men instead?”

The two laugh. Suddenly, Dahlia stops. She strains her ears. The ballroom was loud, but she could hear a faint … something.

Dahlia turns to Prudence.

“Do you hear that?”

“Hear what?”

“Music playing in the background.”

“Sir Atkins did hire a band – ”

“No, no… something else. Like, a sad tune. Can you hear that?”


Dahlia asks Prudence. Prudence strains her ears.

“No, miss.”

“No, no. Listen carefully. You can hear it.”


Again, Prudence strains her ears. She tries to block out all the noise in the ballroom. But she cannot.

“I really can not hear it. Sorry, Dahlia…”

Dahlia sighs.

“It’s okay… It was quite faint.”

Prudence nods.

“I’m sorry, Pru, but I must find where it comes from.”

“Dahlia, are you sure it is not your mere imagination?”

Prudence frowns as she notices Dahlia leave. She calls after Dahlia.

“Dahlia! You mustn’t be alone, or unchaperoned! At least allow me to go with you!”

“No, Pru. You must distract my mother or anyone who asks for me. I shall not be long.”


As Dahlia follows the sound, she realizes it is music, coming from one of the private rooms.

Hearing the music, she recognizes it is the pianoforte that is playing the music. Without thinking, Dahlia opens the door and walks in the room.

Seeing the person who was playing the pianoforte, Dahlia could not help but gape.

“You’re here too?”

“How can one be crowded with so many people, but feel lonely at the same time?”


Sebastian chuckles and begins to play a scale. Dahlia could not remove her eyes off him. Today he is proper, wearing formal attire. Around his neck, a white cravat is neatly tied. Underneath his dark navy blue coat, he is wearing a grey waistcoat with an intricate golden design. Even his breeches are matching his coat.

“Pardon?”

“Dahlia, no one is here to witness your impertinence. So feel free to be – ”

“You are here, Sir.”

“‘Sir’ makes me feel old.”

“Then Mr.…?”

“Even worse. Just Sebastian. Sebastian.”


He stops playing the pianoforte and motions Dahlia to sit beside him. Dahlia hesitates.

“I could never…!”

Sebastian chuckles and shakes his head. Dahlia knows she should not be alone with a man, unchaperoned. Especially with a man like Sebastian, with no manners or etiquette.

Dahlia begins to leave the room. She does not change her mind even as she hears him start to play a beautiful minuet.

But as she leaves, she hears Sebastian call after her.

“Miss Dahlia, I wonder if you should be strolling alone, especially being unchaperoned of a room in a strangers house?”

Dahlia freezes. The nerve of this man!

“Sir, if I were to walk out this room being chaperoned with you, that would make matters worse!”

“How so? It appears to me, Dahlia, that you were rendezvousing with a man if…”


Dahlia frowns. She does not want to admit him being right. She stomps back into the room.

“What is it you want from me?”

Dahlia demands the man. He responds with a raised brow.

“Surely, you have reasons to pester me so much, following me – ”

Sebastian scoffs and stops playing the pianoforte.

“Do not delude yourself into thinking that I am courting you, Dahlia.”

“Do not delude yourself into thinking that I am sincerely enjoying your company, Sebastian.”


Dahlia freezes. She just revealed her true self.

Sebastian smiles.

He stands and offers Dahlia his arm.

“Shall we take a turn in the garden?”

Dahlia scowls at the man. He is so infuriating, yet she must accepts his offer. How else is she to leave without being improper?

“I must be in the ballroom by now.”

Sebastian frowns. But leads her to the ballroom nevertheless.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SO sorry this came so late.
Many things has been happening... :\
and argh, to top it off my internet has been weird so I couldn't upload anything! :\

Anyway, this is a long chapter...
I wasn't satisfied with this chapter. I had at least rewritten it three times but...

Anyway, thanks for your patience, guys.
And thanks for your comments! Made me really want to write this again.

Subscribe? Comment? Crit?
Thanks for reading
:)