Status: Currently working on.

Postcards From...

Cleveland, Ohio

July 12th.

Ohio. The buckeye state. 34th largest state in the U.S, and the 7th most populous. State motto: “With God, all things are possible.” I’ve studied. If you call googling Ohio studying. The internet is a wondrous thing. I’ve come to love it, and depend on it for my random bursts of curiosity.

Now, being more specific, Cleveland. Cleveland, Ohio. I heard that Cleveland has some awesome malls, and tons of sights worth visiting. I should ask Dad if he’ll take me around. Maybe on a day that he doesn’t have a show, or an interview. Maybe tomorrow. I do know this. This is a public outside pool nearby. I plan on going because it’s so hot.

...

I was in my room, getting changed when Alicia shouted, “Ok. Beach towels, check!” Apparently, when I asked dad if I could go to the pool, Jamia and Alicia wanted to go to. I guess we’re making a girls day away out of it or something. I’m not complaining. Alicia knocked on my door. “You ready?” She asked. I nodded, more to myself. “One more second. Ok.” I said, zipping up my old school bag and heading out.

I stopped by the fridge in the kitchen to get a class or juice before we left, but it turned out that someone had drank the last. “Hey, dad, did Frankie finish off the grape juice?” I asked, leaning on the counters. “You ready?” Jamia came in and asked. I nodded. Dad glanced up at me from his drawing pad then did a double take. “What are wearing?” He asked. I looked down at myself. “Clothes.”

“Or lack there of; I can see your entire stomach.” I covered my mouth in shock. “Oh no! My entire stomach! Whatever was I thinking.” I said, laughing. Jamia laughed too. “Are you serious? Come on.” I said, turning and grabbing the small back pack. “No. No. Go put on some clothes.” I looked at him like it was crazy. “Go put on a long sleeved shirt and jeans.”

“But dad, it’s like 90 degrees out there. Jamia?” I asked. She chewed her lip, and said. “Go put on...a shirt.” She said, trying to please us both. When I left, Dad turned to her. “What?” She asked. “Did you see what she was wearing?” She nodded. “Yeah actually, I helped her pick it out.” He sighed. “And you didn’t think it was too revealing?” He asked. “Gee, she’s fine. If anything, you should be glad she feels comfortable enough around us to show that much skin.” He sighed again.

“How’s this?” I asked. He bit his cheek. “I can see your whole arm.” He said. “Oh my God.” I sent. “I’m joking. You look great.” He said, and smiled. I sighed and grabbed the bag. “Have a good time.” He said, giving me a quick hug on my way out. “Thanks.” I said, before kissing his cheek and heading out with Jamia.

...

“About time. I thought I was gonna have to call the search dogs.” Alicia said. “Sorry. Overprotective dad.” I said, glancing back at the bus. “How cute. Come one, we’re losing the sun. Jamia, you grabbed the cooler right?” Jamia nodded, holding up the white and red cooler that held our lunch. “Nice. Come on!” Alicia said. We piled all the stuff in the car Alicia rented and took our seats. Jamia in the front, me in the backseat.

“So what did Gee have a problem with?” Alicia asked. “Oh you know; what all dad’s freak out about when their daughter wants to go out swimming.” Jamia said. I think I’ll just listen. “Aw, he thought your outfit was to revealing. That’s sweet. To think, I’ve known Gee, for like, ever, and I’ve never him this protective. He’s really starting to act like a dad now..” She claimed. “Well duh, that’s because he has a daughter now.”

“Um, excuse me, but he’s had a daughter for the last 15 years. It’s not like I was born yesterday.” I said. “Yes, believe me, he knows that.” Alicia and Jamia said.