Lucky

1/1

I sat in the crowd of more than 20,000 tears running down my face. I gripped onto my phone which was vibrating like crazy in my palm. My black jersey clad body was shaking uncontrollably as I cried in joy. Two strong arms wrapped around me as I felt my breath hitch in my throat. There was nothing else I could do but cry, the happiness that I was filled with was overwhelming.

A hand grabbed my arm and began to frantically pull me down the hall to a waiting elevator. A smile found its way to my face as Troy Crosby looked at me tears similar to mine rolling down his cheeks. He wrapped his arms around me in a hug “We did it, darling, we did it”. My still shaking body was handed off to another set of waiting arms, Trina Crosby embraced me.

The elevator dinged signaling that we had reached our destination. Hoards of family, friends and press were pushing through the narrow opening to the ice. Crossing my fingers on my left hand I slipped my phone into my right back pocket with my right hand before crossing those fingers too. He didn’t know I was there, he would probably be infuriated if he knew I hadn’t told him I was coming.

A rather large, scary man came up to me asking for my pass which I pulled out from under my jersey shaking his head he lead me out to the ice where Trina, Troy and Taylor were already congratulating their favorite Stanley Cup captain. I stood on the bench a huge smile stretching at my lips as I watched the sight in front of me.

His eyes left the camera fallowing the gaze of his younger sister Taylor to meet mine. Looking away for a second to his parents and then back at me his eyes grew wide. Doing another double take he stared dumb struck at me. It hadn’t surprised me that this was his reaction, I hadn’t seen him in over a year. A smile began to spread across his face again as he darted from the spot between his father and mother right into my waiting arms.

Picking me up, he brought me onto the ice, arms still around me and a large smile still present on his face. He stared at me like there was no one else around, the cup having already been brought out players were now with their families. “I missed you” was all he said as he stared into my eyes as though he was searching for something.

“You have no idea how much I missed you” I told him plain and simple.

Sidney and I had been friends since birth. My father was Troy’s best friend. They were always together as children so when it came time for them to have children of course we were always together. I had moved away to college the year after Sidney was drafted and the only time we could find time to be together was during the summer. I had spent a large chunk of last summer with him at his lake house in Nova Scotia, something changed last summer, I wasn’t sure what exactly it was but I knew it had happened and I was just waiting for it to make itself present.

“Oh captain, my captain” I heard a loud voice yell over the roaring crowd, Sidney pulled away from me to see a smiling Billy Guerin. “It’s time for a picture” giving me a once over he smiled and stuck out his hand “It’s an honor to finally meet you Teagan, I’ve heard so much about you, I’m Billy” I sent him a curious look but shook his hand with a smile.

Sidney pulled my attention back to him with a simple tug on my hand. “I’ll be right back” he sent me a short wink and kissed me lightly just centimeters from my lips before skating towards the pile of men letting out a loud holler. I smiled as I leaned back against the boards.

“So what do you think?” I looked over to see Taylor leaning beside me shooting me the Crosby smile. Already clad in her Stanley Cup Champions t-shirt. She took her camera out of her back pocket turning and snapping a picture of me before I could even react. “Ah that’s going on the wedding boards” she laughed out.

“Hey not nice!” I said lunging for the camera which she pulled away quickly making me lose my balance. I could feel the humiliation about to fallow my epic fall. Falling to the ice during a Stanley Cup celebration, defiantly something Teagan Anthony would do. I closed my eyes waiting for the familiar feeling of ice against my face but it never came, instead a pair of arms wrapped themselves around my waist pulling me up.

“I leave for two minutes and come over to find you almost landing flat on your face. Why am I not surprised?” he laughed at me grabbing my hand. “How about we go change you out of that jersey and into some more proper attire, eh?” A blush rose to my cheeks as I thought of all the possibilities to what he meant by that. I heard Taylor giggle beside me and Sidney sent me a small wink. “I’m sure we can find a shirt in your size” he emphasized to his little sister smiling down at me.

He pulled me through the crowded halls into a packed locker room. Champagne being sprayed in every direction, loud music being blasted from a radio somewhere and loud cheers erupting when Sidney entered, I couldn’t contain the smile that broke across my face. He smiled shyly as reporters began to snap pictures of us as he pushed through.

Finally we made it to his stall, two shirts hanging on the hooks inside it. Grabbing the smaller of the two he set it on the bench. “Arms up” he instructed and I sent him a questioning look “just do it Teag” I smiled and obliged as he called me his nickname for me. He pulled the hem of his rookie jersey over my head and set it on the bench leaving me in just a white cami and bright pink bra covering my chest. “That’s cute” he smiled snapping the pink strap before slipping my arms into the sleeves.

He stood back a smile on his face, admiring his ‘work’. “It looks good on you” he smiled taking a step closer to me still in his skates. I scrunched my face when he wrapped his arms around me. “Oh” he blushed slightly sitting on the bench pulling me down beside him.

“This is for you Captain Crosby” I looked up from his hands frantically unlacing his skates , Max Talbot stood presenting a bottle of unopened champagne in his hands. I let out a low squeal at the man in front of me. Max looked at me eyes wide, Sidney let out a loud rambunctious giggle as I stood from my spot hugging the unexpecting French-Canadian.

“Max, this is Teagan, Teag this is Maxime the French-Canadian dream” I pulled back suddenly aware of how awkward this situation has to be for Max. “She is a big fan” Sidney told him frankly as I went back to stand by Sidney now out of his skates and into his Championship shirt. His arm wrapped around my waist, pushing it away I looked up at him “Go celebrate with the team!” Using two hands I pushed him away towards the direction of the mob of photographers.

I was simply the best friend, the girl who was always there for Sidney if he had a bad game or even if he had the best game of his life. I told him everything growing up and we were inseparable from our time in diapers. I watched from the corner admiring his excitement, something people rarely saw, he was extremely good at containing is emotions.

Across the room Troy celebrated with his boy drinking out of the silver grail. “Teag!” I heard my name being shouted from the boy I had been staring at. He waved me over frantically as the mob of journalists and photographers turned to see who he was talking too. I shook my head shrugging my shoulders. “Come on! Picture time!” I walked over to where he was standing next to Mario and Dan.

“I don’t know if I want to touch it” I told him, he sent me a puzzled look, I pursed my lips and shrugged my shoulders. “I mean isn’t it bad luck to touch it? I mean I’m going to win one myself” a large smile broke across Sid’s face as Troy’s booming laughter filled the room. Dan and Mario along with the mobs of press began to laugh. Sidney wrapped an arm around me as I reached across him to touch the cup.

As the flashes of camera’s went off around us I felt my hand that was resting on the base of the cup become covered, warmth engulfing my body immediately. I leaned lovingly into my best friend’s side. All the feelings from this summer coming back at once. “I love you Teagan Anthony” he lips tickled my ear slightly, but there was no time to react as I was wisked out of the mob and into the more private family room.

As soon as we were in the room he pulled me into him, and kissed me with lust, passion and love. I melted in his arms as I wrapped my arms around his neck. We pulled away simultaneously and he pulled me into his chest. “I love you too” I felt his chest rumble beneath my head.

“I never would have guessed” he replied sarcastically. I leaned in smirking into the kiss I had dreamed about for years and years.

I’m lucky I’m in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again


And at home was where I felt in his arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is for MrsLetang's one shot contest

<33