‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 29

------------
Shadows
------------

Ok, I’ll bite, why is everyone looking at me like I just took the last beer?” I said as I approached the table where the other guys were standing.

“Izzy! Have you ever done The Plague?” The Rev stepped up and stood in front of us. I knew what he was asking; I’ve seen this before.

“Wh-wh-at is The Plague?” She asked nervously looking back and forth between him and me.

“Come on!” He said and grabbed her hand to drag her out to the dance floor before I could warn her.

“So, what kept you?” Gates asked in a bitter tone.

I sighed and took the beer that Christ was passing my way. “Izzy and I had unfinished business to take care of. Let’s just leave it at that.”

“So, you were late because you were getting laid?” Vengeance held his hand on his stomach and laughed.

“Come on, you know damn well it was a long time coming.” I said.

“Was the pun intended?” Christ asked and we all started laughing.

I looked over at the table where all the other girls were seated. Kristina and Chelsea we having a bubbly conversation about shoes and something about Brian wearing sox with flip flops. London and Mari, however, seemed to be glaring at Izzy on the dance floor with Jimmy. “I guess this is going to be harder than I first thought.”

“What is?” Gates asked.

“Izzy’s kinda worried about how the girls are going to react to her. She promised me that there would be no more drama and she would try and get along with all of them, but by the looks of them, Izzy doesn’t stand a chance.”

“Can you blame any of them?”

“No, but if she is going to try for me, I don’t want her to get discouraged.”

Gates nodded and set his beer down on the table. “Well, I don’t think you’ll have any problems with Kristina. She’s a forgiving person. She was actually glad to hear that Izzy was home and ok.”

“Yeah, Chelsea too. She’s was Izzy’s first girl friend in the casino though, so it does kind of bother her a little bit that Izzy dropped her for Kristina, but Chelsea doesn’t have a mean bone in her body. She won’t hold a grudge.” I nodded grateful that two of the four would at least give her half a chance.

“I can’t say the same for Marisol.” I looked at Vengeance and nodded knowing that London and Marisol were going to be tough. I wished there was a way to make this easier on Izzy, but there was no easy way to make someone suck on their own pride.

I turned around and looked at the dance floor when I saw London cringe and stand up. Izzy looked like she was about to vomit. “Not again!” London said as she quickly moved past me to make her way over to Jimmy and Izzy.

“I better go deal with that.” I walked over to the dance floor and grabbed Izzy just in time to turn her away from Jimmy and spare him from being victim to vomit. Unfortunately, I wasn’t so lucky.

Jimmy stood there laughing at me while trying to help Izzy steady herself. “Jimmy, I told you no more spinning!” London said as she waived a disapproving finger in his face. “Come on, Izzy. Lets get you cleaned up.” London helped Izzy to the bathroom while I stood there like an idiot with puke on my legs.

“Come on, Matt. Lets get you cleaned up.” The Rev put his arm around me mocking his wife and for some reason I couldn’t see the humor in it.

“You drunk mother fucker.” I said as we walked to the men’s room.

“Oh please, give it an hour or two and you’ll be drunk enough to slap my ass and call me your daddy.”

I laughed hard at that. The Rev seemed to be out of his bitch funk finally and back to his old self. My guess would be London had something to do with that. When the puke was finally cleaned off my pants, the two of us walked back to the table where everyone else was sitting.

A few minutes later, London walked Izzy back to where we were. “She’ll be fine, she could probably use some cold water though.”

“Thanks for helping her.” I took Izzy’s hand and Gates handed her a glass of water while London poked Jimmy accusingly in the stomach.

“So, where are the bride and groom?” I asked.

“Funny, you mention them. Here comes the happy couple now.” Gates nodded in their direction.

I watched as the two of them approached. When they got close, Izzy gripped my arm like she was holding on for dear life just before she fainted.

“God Damn it, Daddy! Look what you did!” Marisol yelled at Marco.

Vengeance covered his hand over his mouth in an attempt to conceal his laughter while I tried to revive Izzy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Marco can't catch a break. LOL!