‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 33

Another week passed by….

----------
Gates
---------
Kristina was lying with her head on my chest after waking me with morning sex. I loved it when she did that. My hand was caressing her lower back when she lifted her head and moved up a little to kiss my neck. I brought my hand up to her hair and hid it inside the tangled mess of red ringlets while her soft lips continued to tickle my neck. “You’re going to have to give me a little while if you want more.” She laughed lightly and moved her lips to my jaw. “I love your kisses.” On cue, she brought her lips to mine and when she pulled back she propped herself up on one elbow and looked down at me.

“Do you think they’ll come tonight?” She asked.

“Matt and Izzy?”

“Yeah.”

“I hope so, but I haven’t heard from Matt so I cant say.” Tonight was our engagement party. Kristina spent the entire week working to make sure every last detail was perfect. I know it would make her happy if they showed up, but I don’t think that will be the case.

“I wish things were different.” She sighed and brought her head back down and rested it in the crook of my neck.

“Me too.” I held her close to me and rubbed her back gently. “I think we should get out of bed. My stomach is growling.”

She lifted her head and rested her chin on my chest. “You’re always hungry.”

“Hey, I’m a growing boy!”

She laughed and kissed me again. “Can’t you grow somewhere else right now?”

“You’re a little horn dog!” I laughed and kissed her head. If it were up to her, we would have sex 24/7. I’m all for a girl who loves sex, but I’m not a machine.

“You weren’t complaining a half hour ago when I was straddling you.”

“Nope, no complaints here. Now if you could just magically make bacon and eggs appear after sex, I’d never leave the bed.”

She smirked at me and sat up not even bothering to cover herself. I loved watching her when she was naked. She was so comfortable in her own skin. “How’s your stomach?” I asked as I traced my finger over the scar.

“It’s still a little sore, but I don’t feel it so much anymore.”

“You don’t seem bothered by the scar at all.”

“I’m not.” She shook her head. “At first I was, but now it just something to remind me of what I overcame. See, I can be strong like you too.”

I smiled and put my arms behind my head. “You’re the strongest person I know.”

“Besides, if I didn’t get stabbed, nobody would have known the truth about Izzy. So, some good came out of it.”

I sat up and set my hands on her hips. “Krissy, you being stabbed was not a good thing.”

“I didn’t say it was a good thing I was stabbed, I said some good came out of it. You saved Izzy because of it. I forgave Marco a long time ago, Brian. When you see your life flash before your eyes, you learn to let the small stuff go and focus on the good things in your life. So, the good thing is that the truth came out and everyone is ok.”

She shrugged her shoulders and I pulled her closer so I could kiss her. “You’re my little ray of sunshine, you know.”

She laughed, but I was being sincere. “I’d rather be thunder and lightning so I can rock your world again.”

Now, it was me who laughed. “hmm. I think I feel a sudden burst of energy coming on. Must be a storm coming.” I winked. She laughed again and kissed me. I fell back on the pillow and took her with me. We stayed there for the rest of the morning and yes, she rocked my world.

----------------
Vengeance
----------------

“Mari?”

“I’m in the kitchen.” She called out and I walked to the kitchen where I found her sitting on the counter in only a t-shirt eating a bowl of cereal. “Hi.” She smiled at me and set her bowl down on the counter.

“This came for you.” I handed her the package and she took it on to her lap and looked up at me.

“What is it?”

“Dunno.” I shrugged. “It was delivered to the bar.”

Mari looked the box over for a return address, but there wasn’t one. She shrugged and ripped off the brown paper. Under the paper was a plain black box. When she took of the lid, there was a card sitting on top of the tissue paper.

“Marisol and Zacky,

I would have liked to have done this in person, but I don’t think I would have been able to handle it. I’m glad you got past your anger if only for one day to come to my wedding. Even though you think I’m a “big friggen bully.”

I have something that belongs to you and I think it’s time for you to have it. We never spoke of your mother after you were born. I know you believed she died, but that was a lie. When you were born, your mother left the hospital the next day and I never saw her again. She’s alive and her name is Andrea Cortez. I don’t know where she is or how to contact her, but in this box, you can find your birth certificate. It’s up to you to decide whether or not you want to find her and put her name on it. I’m sorry I lied, but it was for your own good. You’ll also find something that belonged to her. It’s a broach I bought for her in the shape of a butterfly. She never wore it. She said she didn’t like butterflies. It’s yours to do with as you wish.

Marisol, I’m sorry I wasn’t the greatest father, and I know you hate me. Maybe someday, you can find it in your heart to call me your daddy again. Kayla really wants to get to know you and so do I, but that too is your decision to make.

Vengeance, I know you wish I were dead, but whether you like it or not, Marisol is my baby. I can’t bring back Sammy or change what happened that night, but I can give you my blessing. I know my daughter is in good hands with you and I can’t promise that if Marisol does give me a second chance, that I wont be an overbearing father, because as I said, she is my baby and I love her very much. I have something for you as well. In the box, you’ll find a white envelope. That envelope holds a key to a safe deposit box. In that box, you’ll find another key along with an address not to far from the Sidewinder.

The key opens the front door to a little house on the beach. The one Marisol lived in when she was first born. Along with the key, is the deed with your name on it. When you two decide to take the big step, you’ll have a place where you can start your own family. No one knows better than I do that a casino is no place to raise a family. Don’t make the same mistakes I did. Take care of my baby.

I’m not asking for forgiveness from either one of you, just a chance to make things right.

All the best to you both,

Marco & Kayla.


When Mari finished reading the card, there were tears streaming down her cheeks. “What is it?” She handed me the card and I read it myself. When I was finished, I took her hand in mine. “So, do you want to try and find your mother?”

“No.” She shook her head. “She didn’t want me. She can stay dead to me.” I took the box off her lap and moved to stand between her legs. When I pulled her into my arms she sobbed.

“How about we go get the key to the house and take a look?”

“Ok.” She pulled back and wiped her eyes. “I love you, Zack.”

“I love you too.” I lifted her off the counter and set her down on the floor. “Why don’t you go get dressed? Then we can go.”

“Ok, but we have to be back in time for the party.”

“I know and we will.” I smiled and kissed her head before she walked away. When she was out of the kitchen, I balled my hands into fists. I know Marco wants a life with his daughter and that’s her call. I will support whatever decision she makes, but did he really think a house was going to make up for Sammy’s death? Fuck no.

Marisol came back to the kitchen about 15 minutes later. “Ok, I’m ready.”

“Do you mind if we stop somewhere first?” I asked.

“Sure. Where?”

“I want to go to the cemetery and see Sammy.”

“Ok.” She nodded. I think it’s time, my first love, met the love of my life. No matter what, Sammy will always be a part of my life, but I need to let her know that I am letting her rest. Not to mean that I am forgetting her, but that I am ready to give all the love I have to Marisol. I know she would want that. Sammy would want me to be happy.

-------------
Shadows
------------

There were some discussions that needed to be had today. We still hadn’t found a permanent bar tender and we were taking advantage of Jason and having him work all seven days of the week. So, Gates and Christ were coming by today so we could discuss other options.

When the walked in, they were talking about something and Christ seemed a little animated about it. “Try and keep it down, Izzy’s sleeping.” I told both of them.

“It’s almost noon.” Christ said.

“Yeah, well she had a nightmare last night and didn’t get much sleep.”

I walked towards my den and motioned for them to follow me and they did. As I sat behind my desk, Gates and Christ took a seat in front of it. “Ok. So, what’s the deal?”

Gates shifted in his seat before speaking. “We’ve been looking for a new bartender, but came up empty. Jason said he would stay as long as we need him.”

“Yeah, Chelsea said she’d pick up a few nights too.”

“You’re ok with her working?” I asked.

“Yeah, so long as she isn’t taken advantage of.”

“Ok.” I sat back in my chair and turned my attention to Gates.

“Have you tried asking Kristina if she knows anyone?”

“Yeah.” He nodded. “She said she didn’t.”

“Well, then I guess we’ll just stick with Jason and Chelsea for now until we find someone else.”

They both agreed and that ended our conversation. “That’s it then. I guess you guys can go.”

When they stood and started to leave, Gates turned back to look at me. “Are you coming tonight?”

I sighed and shook my head. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”

He nodded and I could see the disappointment in his face, but I couldn’t force Izzy to be around him right now. I didn’t want to risk that he would say something to her that would make matters worse. Without her knowing, I called a psychiatrist this morning and set up an appointment for her to meet with him for next week. She needed help that was beyond what I could give her.