‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 34

--------
Gates
--------

“Did you get the cake?”

“Yes, Krissy, I got the cake.” I walked up behind her and put my arms around her waist. From over her shoulder, I could see she was cutting up carrots and celery to go with the dip she made. “Well, you’re a busy bee today.”

“Yeah.” She nodded and reached back to put a piece of celery in my mouth. “Do we have enough beer?”

“We have plenty of beer. Stop worrying, everything is going to be fine for the party.”

Kristina set the knife down on her cutting board and leaned back into my chest. She covered my hands with hers and turned her head sideways to kiss my cheek. “I just want everything to be perfect.”

“It will be and if it’s not, so what. Are you not going to marry me because someone didn’t like the spinach dip?”

She turned around in my arms and looked at me. “I guess you’re right.”

“I know I’m right.” I nodded and kissed her nose. “Why don’t you go get ready? There are only a couple of hours until everyone gets here.”

She draped her arms around my neck and smirked. “Is that enough time for a quickie?”

“You’re trying to kill me aren’t you?” I asked her and she burst out laughing. “Come on.” I lifted her up so she could put her legs around my hips and brought her back to the bedroom. What we did could not be considered a quickie by any means, by the time Kristina had her way with me, there was about an hour to spare to get ready for the party.

------------
Christ
-----------

“Do you even know where they registered?”

“Huh?” Chelsea and I were shopping for a gift for Gates and Kristina and were having no luck.

“Johnny.” She whined. “He’s your friend! Don’t you guys talk about stuff?”

“Yeah, but the weddings all the girls thing to take care of.” When she raised her eyebrow at me I wondered if I had just put my foot in my mouth.

“Come on.” She grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the home goods section. “Well what do they like?”

“Sex.” It was the only thing that came to my mind. Kristina used to tell me about the escapades between her and Gates. Not that I needed to her about her insatiable sexual appetite. Chelsea raised her eyebrow at me again and dragged me out of the store. “Uh, where are we going.”

“You’ll see.” She took my keys and got in the driver side of the car and even though I trusted her judgment, I was a little nervous getting into the passenger side of the car. Not to mention the fact that she drove like she was Mario Andretti.

When we pulled up in front of our destination, I sat in the car and looked up at the big bright pink sign. I couldn’t imagine what the hell we were doing here. She got out of the car and I followed after her and 20 minutes later we purchased a gift that shall we say, keeps on giving. We had about a half hour to spare and it would take us at least 20 minutes to get home.

-------------
The Rev
------------

“Oh wifeykins…where are you?”

“I’m in our room, getting dressed.” She called out to me and I followed her voice to our room.

“There you are, Sugar Plum!”

London turned away from the mirror and looked at me with a huge smile on her face. “Did you need me for something?”

“Oh, I need you for a lot of things, but right now, I just want to stare while you get ready.” She laughed at me and turned back to the mirror. “You don’t need that stuff you know. You’re beautiful without makeup.”

Before she could respond, the doorbell rang. “I’ll get it.” I walked out of the room to the get the door. I signed for a letter that came for London and walked back to the bedroom with it. “You’ve got mail!” I tried to imitate the AOL voice and she laughed lightly as she took the letter from me.

“There’s no return address.” She said as she tore the envelop open and pulled out the letter. “What the hell? There’s a check in here!”

She opened the letter and started to read. I walked behind her so I could look over her shoulder.

“London and The Rev,

While, I am the last person I am sure either of you expected to hear from, I have something to say to both of you. London, I have no idea who you are and that is largely in part, my fault. I knew you existed, but in truth, I was happy with my life and my daughter Marisol and didn’t want to deal with another brat running around. I can tell you now, that the guilt I feel is immense. Maybe that will be the cross I bear for the rest of my life. I do regret not being a part of your life and it deeply saddens me that I ignored you when you needed me most. I’m truly sorry about your mother and I am sorry that you both struggled through out your entire life while your sister lived with me never having to want for anything. I know money cant buy happiness, nor can it bring forgiveness, and I know that you are married to a wealthy man, but I want you to have something, that you’ve never had. Your own money. So, I have enclosed a check that I hope will make up for the years of pain I have caused you. Kayla and I would both like to extend our home to you as well should you ever decide you want to get to know us. If you choose not to, I can understand and wont have any hard feelings.

As for The Rev, You must be one of the craziest bastards I have ever met in my entire life. Out of all the others, you scare the shit out of me. I never know what to expect with you and I hope like hell, you’ll take good care of London. She needs a good man, and I think she found one. Don’t fuck it up.

That being said,

All the best to both of you,

Marco and Kayla


London turned around and looked at the check. “It’s ten million dollars.”

“That’s a lot of money. What are you going to do with it?” She laughed and looked up at me just before she ripped up the check.

“I have everything I could ever want and I don’t plan on ever leaving you.”

She just ripped up a check for ten million dollars and I’m crazy? Without giving her any warning, I lifted her up and threw her over my shoulder. “Jimmy! What are you doing?”

“Taking you to a party!”

I like to make an entrance.

-------------
Shadows
-------------

Izzy was sitting on the couch pleading with me and there was nothing I could say to make her change her mind.

“Matt, please go.”

“No, I’m not leaving you alone.” She started sobbing and put her arms around my neck.

“Please, I’m begging you to go. I don’t want there to be any more problems because of me. Please.” She was hysterical now. “Please, I don’t want them to say you’re staying home because I’m being a drama queen that needs attention. Please go, Matt.”

Izzy put her head down on my shoulder and cried hard. I couldn’t believe she was this upset. What Gates said in Marco’s office really went to her head. “Ok.” I told her softly while I rubbed her back. “I’ll go.”

After a few minutes, she calmed down and stopped sobbing. “Izzy? Are you ok?”

She lifted her head from my shoulder and wiped her eyes. “Yes. I’m sorry I got so upset. I just don’t want them to look at me that way anymore.”

“I know you don’t, sweetheart.” She wiped her eyes and hugged me again. “I should get going.” She nodded when she pulled back from me. “I’m taking my phone with me. Call me if you need me and I’ll come home right away.”

“Ok.” She wiped her eyes and sat back against the arm of the couch.

“No more crying while I’m gone ok?”

“I wont.”

“Good.” I leaned forward and kissed her before I got off the couch and walked out of the penthouse, I felt so guilty leaving her.

I blew out a heavy breath before stepping off the elevator and walking into Gates and Kristina’s living room. Everyone else already seemed to be there. Better late than never, I guess.

“Matt you made it!” Kristina ran over and gave me a quick hug while Gates trailed behind her with two beers. I took the one he offered me and nodded my thanks. “Where’s Izzy?” Kristina asked excitedly.

“She’s not feeling well.” I lied.

“Oh.” Kristina looked disappointed and Gates looked at me like he knew I was lying.

”Uh Kristina? Why don’t you go see the lovely gift Johnny and Chelsea got us.”

“Don’t you want to come with me?”

“I’ve already seen it, honey. Something tells me you had a hand in them picking out that gift and that makes you and accessory!”

“Oh you mean like earrings? I love accessories!” She clapped her hands together excitedly and I lost it. I didn’t care, that was the funniest thing she said by far. Gates nudged me in the stomach with his elbow and Kristina ran off to check out the gift. Johnny and Chelsea got them a stripper pole for their bedroom. I’ll admit, I was jealous. I don’t have a stripper pole.

“So, I’m guessing Izzy isn’t sick.” Gates said as he turned to face me.

“No.” I shook my head. “Just scared.”

“She shouldn’t be.” He sipped his beer and looked back at me. “No one here is going to make her feel uncomfortable.”

“Yeah, well she needs time, I guess.”

--------
Izzy
--------

I walked through the penthouse looking around as if I was here for the first time. This was my home, but I didn’t feel like I belonged here. I know Matt was trying really hard, but all I seem to do lately is cause him stress. He didn’t show it in front of me though. He was being really patient, but I don’t know how to feel happy anymore.

As I traced my finger along the top of my purse, I couldn’t remember the last time I was out of the penthouse other than my birthday day at the beach. I need a drink. No one would be at the bar now, so I wouldn’t have to worry if anyone saw me. I grabbed my purse and headed down to the elevator hoping that no one was inside and lucky for me, it was empty.

-----------------
Jason Berry
-----------------

Slow night. Everyone was at the engagement party so none of my friends were around to keep me company. So, here I was wiping down the bar when finally, someone walked in and sat down.

“Hi.” I walked over to where the girl sat. She looked like she was lost. “You look like you need a stiff drink. What can I get you?”

“I’d like a whiskey sour, please.” I nodded and made her the drink. When I set it down on the bar she opened her purse to take out some money, but I waived my hand at her.

“The first one’s on me.”

“Thanks.” She gave me a weak smile. She was a cute little thing, seemed a little tired though.

“So, want to talk about it? You don’t know me, so it’s not like you to worry about me running off and spilling your darkest secrets.”

“I don’t think it will help, but thanks for the offer.” I nodded while she sipped her drink.

“What if I guess?”

She eyed me over the rim of the glass and set it down on the bar. “I guess that would be ok.”

“Your boyfriend broke up with you?”

She shook her head no. “I love my boyfriend. He’s a great guy.”

“Well, forgive me for asking, but if he’s so great, why isn’t he here paying for your drinks?”

“He’s at a party.” Another weak smile formed on her lips.

“Why didn’t you go to the party?”

She cast her eyes down as she ran her fingers around the rim of the glass. “His friends don’t like me very much.”

I made myself a drink and set it down on the bar in front of me. “Well that sucks. What kind of boyfriend wouldn’t stand up for his girl?”

She smiled and looked up at me. “Like I said, he’s a great guy. It’s me, I did some pretty bad things to make them hate me.”

So, she was drinking to drown her sorrows after all. I made her another drink and this time I made it a little stronger. “Well, I know it’s cliché to say, but time heals all wounds.”

She picked up the drink and chuckled lightly. “Not this time. I fucked up pretty bad.”

“What could you have possibly done that’s so unforgivable?”

This time she picked up the glass and down the drink in one sip. While I made her another, I listened to her explanation. “Well, were do I start? I stole a car twice; the second time I wrecked it beyond repair. I slept with my boyfriend’s best friend and then beat up his girlfriend after calling her the slut and then I got her stabbed. Then there was the time that I forgot to mention to my boyfriend that I was married to his worst enemy. There’s also the fact that I meddle in everyone’s affairs and I can throw one hell of a tantrum when I don’t get my way.”

My jaw was hanging by the time she finished. “Wow, you’re a bitch.”

She laughed. “Yeah, there’s a name I haven’t been called before.”

“Did you ever try and apologize?”

She looked up at me like she was lost in thought. “I have to some, but it’s useless for the others. They aren’t going to forgive me anytime soon. I don’t matter to any of them.”

I picked up her empty glass to make her another drink, but she waived her hand at me. “I really have to be going. I stayed longer than I should have already.”

“Ok, well. Have a good night.”

“I’m sure I won’t, but thanks for the drinks.” She left me a tip and got up to walk out of the bar.

“Hey, Bitch! You got a name?”

She turned back around. “Yeah, it’s Izzy.”

“Well, goodbye Izzy.” She looked at me for a second and then waved and walked out of the bar.

Izzy? As in Matt’s Izzy? It couldn’t be the same girl. I never met her, I’d only heard about her. She was all Matt talked about. I took out my cell phone and called Matt, but he didn’t answer.

Maybe Gates will…

--------
Gates
--------

I sighed after hanging up my cell phone. “Who was it?” Kristina asked.

“Wrong number” I lied. “Were almost out of beer, I’m gonna go down to the bar and get some.” I lied twice in less than five minutes.

“Hurry back!” She kissed my cheek and I smiled before leaving. I wasn’t going to the bar.

When I got up to the penthouse, it was dark. None of the lights were on. I walked into the living room and even though it was dark, Izzy was hard to miss. She was standing on the terrace looking over the railing. I tried to keep my self from panicking as I walked out there.

When I got over to where she was I put one arm around her waist and the other around her and across her chest and pulled her back against me. “Don’t even think about doing it.” I whispered in her ear. I could smell the alcohol on her. She must have been drunk.

Izzy brought her hands up and covered her face and started to cry. I held her tightly against me while she cried and didn’t try to stop her. “Were you just going to jump and break Matt’s heart like that?” Her hands still covered her face as she shook her head no in response. “No? So, you weren’t going to jump?” She shook her head again and continued sobbing.

“Izzy.” I said her name and turned her around to face me. “What were you doing out here alone?” She lowered her head and her tears fell like rain down to the ground. I slipped a finger under her chin forcing her to look at me. “Where you going to jump?” When she didn’t respond, I had my answer. “Izzy.” I pulled her close and held her against my chest while she continued to cry.

“This isn’t the answer, Izzy.”

“You hate me, everyone does. It wouldn’t matter.”

“That’s not true. No one hates you, not even me and it would matter to me if you were gone. In fact, it would break my heart. Haven’t you learned by now that just because I get mad, doesn’t mean I don’t love you or that I don’t care about you anymore?”

She started to calm down a little bit and wiped her face on her sleeve. “I don’t want you to die, Izzy.” I kissed the top of her head and she sniffled back another sob.

“I’m sorry.” She sobbed.

“I know you are.” I said trying to comfort her. “I’m sorry too.” I never wanted it to go this far. I didn’t know she was hurting this bad. “Come with me Izzy, come to the party.”

“No.” She cried.

“Why not? Kristina misses you and everyone asked where you were.”

“They hate me.”

I sighed and rubbed her back gently. “I told you, no one hates you and that’s the truth. I promise you, no one is going to give you a hard time.” She wiped her face again and lifted her head from my shoulder. “Just come for little while?”

When she looked at me she bit down on her bottom lip as if she were trying to stop herself from letting out another sob. “There’s cake.” I told her trying to make her laugh and lighten the mood a little bit. “Go wash your face. I’ll wait.” I wasn’t taking no for an answer. We walked together through the terrace doors and I waited for her in the living room. I wanted her to go to the party, but there was also no way in hell, I was going to leave her alone in the penthouse after that.

Izzy came back about 10 minutes later. Kristina probably thought this was the longest beer run ever. I took Izzy’s hand in mine and walked her down the hall to the elevator. She was nervous, that was evident and her eyes were still glistening a little bit. We stepped off the elevator one floor below and I could feel Izzy tense up. I squeezed her hand lightly and winked at her to let her know everything would be ok. When we walked into the living room, it was a little awkward to say the least. “I couldn’t find any beer, but I picked up an Izzy.” The little joke seemed to lighten the mood and Shadows was quick to walk over, as was Kristina.

“You’re here!” Kristina hugged Izzy. She was a little excited and a lot drunk. “I’m so happy you came!”

“Uh Krissy, why don’t you take Izzy and get her a drink?”

“Ok! Come on.” She grabbed Izzy’s hand and dragged the poor girl off through the living room to the bar while Shadows and I watched.

“So, you went for beer and came back with my girlfriend?”

“Yeah.” I nodded. “We have plenty of beer and I am in need of one. I’ll be right back. We need to have a little chat.” I walked to the bar and got myself a beer. Izzy was sitting in between Kristina and Chelsea and both were talking her ear off.

When I walked back to Shadows, I handed him a beer and sipped my own. His eyes were focused on Izzy. “So, how has Izzy been acting lately?”

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“Well, I know she’s been having trouble sleeping, but is there anything else other than that? There is a reason why I am asking and I will get to it, but I need to know first.”

He turned his head back to Izzy and nodded. “I guess she’s been kinda depressed. She hasn’t really been eating much either. I’ve tried talking to her, but she just cries. She doesn’t know yet, but I called a shrink and got her an appointment for next week.”

Well, that about summed it up for me. “So, you do think she needs help?”

Yeah, I do. Why?”

I turned and sighed loudly. “Because Jason called me from the bar and told me that Izzy was down their earlier and while having a few drinks she told him what a terrible person she was and how she thinks everyone hates her. He said instead of saying goodbye she waved to him and it kind of freaked him out a little bit.”

I finished off what was left of my beer and set it down on a table. “When I left earlier, I didn’t go to the bar to get beer, I went to the penthouse.”

“Obviously, if Izzy’s here.” He said.

“Yeah, well when I got there, she was on the terrace.” I found myself suddenly having a hard time trying to explain this. “She didn’t go out there to take in the night air. She was going to end her life.”

“What?” I know he heard me. I’m sure he was shocked.

“She was going to jump.”

He ran a hand through his hair in frustration. “I don’t know what to say.”I knew he wouldn’t take that news well. “She begged me to come to the party without her. I guess she was trying to get me to leave on purpose.”

“I don’t know, Matt. She needs help though. Her self worth has gone to shit.”

As we looked over at the bar again we noticed Izzy had got up from where she was sitting and was making her way back over to us. She walked right up to Shadows and put her arms around his waist and rested her head on his chest. “Hey pretty girl.” He put his arm around her and she looked up at him. “Are you ok?”

“Yes.” She replied, but we could both see she was exhausted and she wasn’t as ok as she wanted us to believe.

“Izzy!” The Rev stood behind her and tapped her on the shoulder. She turned her head around and gave him an angry look before turning back to Shadows and hiding her face in his chest. “Hey! Don’t be like that.”

“Come on, Jimmy. The last time you were around you made her throw up on purpose. Can you blame her?” I said.

He put his hands on his hips and looked at me like I had some nerve, but it was true! Then he tapped Izzy on the shoulder. When she turned her head back to look at him, he pouted at her. “Izzy, I sowwy.” She laughed and turned her face back to Matt’s chest.

“I think I heard someone laugh.” Shadows said rubbing Izzy’s back.

“Me too.” I agreed.

The Rev put his hands on Izzy’s hips and pulled her away from Shadows. “Me thinks someone needs a visit with Doctor Feelherup.” He pulled her away from Shadows and took her in his arms and moved his hands all over her body making her laugh.

“Ha! I knew there was a laugh in there! I shall find more!” He exclaimed and moved his hands up to her head messing up her hair.

“Jimmy, I can’t see now.”

“Oh my God! She’s blind!”

Shadows was laughing and The Rev didn’t let up. “Can you hear me?” He said with his hands over her ears and she nodded in response. “Can you hear me now?” He moved his hand over her mouth and she nodded again.

“Ok, you’re fine.” He shoved her back into the arms of Shadows. “She’s fine! She loves me. It’s all good.”

The Rev pointed a finger in the air and turned around. “Oh Sugar Plum…where for art thou?” He said before walking away.

The fact that Izzy was laughing even if it was just for a moment was a good start. I think Shadows and I both knew that she had a long road ahead of her though.
♠ ♠ ♠
Big Chapter...

So yeah, I cried like a three year old when I read that there is a song on the new a7x album entitled "Fiction." When I started the "And all things will end series it was before Jimmy died and when I finished the third part of the series. "Shattered by broken dreams." I left my favorite Jimmy quote at the end of a very long author's note of chapter 70. It's also on my profile and in my signature when I comment....... I <3 Jimmy.

I'm thinking of starting an a7x blog...