‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 35

--------------
Shadows
--------------

“You think I’m crazy?”

“No, Izzy, I don’t think you’re crazy. Of course not, I just think you need to talk to someone about how you’ve been feeling lately.” I reached out and took her hands in mine. When I told her about the appointment that I made for her to see the therapist, she was pretty upset.

“Only crazy people see psychiatrists.” This was going to be harder than I thought it was. She wasn’t happy with me at all.

“That isn’t true. People who need help see psychiatrists and you need help.” She folded her arms across her chest and turned her face away from me. “Izzy, I’m not doing this to hurt you.”

“Why can’t you just help me?” I think that had to be the hardest question I have ever been asked. She sat on the couch looking at me waiting for an answer and I was so caught off guard, I could hardly find the words to respond.

“I tried, sweetheart. You know I did, but I can’t give you the help you need. Trying to jump off the terrace is serious, Izzy.”

She sat there shaking her head. Clearly, she was afraid and somewhat embarrassed that I had gone so far as to seek outside help for her. I got up from the couch and went to the kitchen to get her a cup of coffee. When I returned, she was sitting there with her head hanging low. “Here, drink this.” She took the cup from my hand and slowly sipped the hot liquid.

“We don’t have to leave for a few hours. Do you want to come shower with me?”

“No.” This time the tone of her voice was a little bitter. I had been patient. Very patient and I am not a patient person. Right now, there was one thought going through my head and I do love her, but she is being extremely ungrateful.

“Fine. I’m going to take a shower. You’re going whether you like it or not so I would suggest you stop moping and get ready. When I come out, we’re leaving.”

I walked away and headed to the bathroom in our bedroom. As I walked through the door, I heard her yell. “I’M NOT GOING!” I just rolled my eyes and stripped off my clothes. I know she’s just scared and when all is said and done, she’ll understand why I did it. I stepped into the shower knowing I made the right decision. She may be mad for a while, but eventually, she would forgive me.

15 minutes later, I got out of the shower and put on a pair of jeans. I was reaching for my shirt when I heard a loud crash. It sounded like glass breaking. “Izzy?” I called out her name, but she didn’t answer me. I walked through the bedroom door and headed for the living room, but found it empty. I found her in the kitchen standing in front of the sink. “Izzy, what was that noise?”

When she turned around to face me there were tears streaming down her cheeks. Her arms were bleeding and the coffee cup I gave her earlier was broken in pieces in the sink. “I’m sorry.” She whispered.

“What did you do?” I walked to her as fast as I could and as I reached for her, she passed out in my arms. “Izzy?” I knelt down with her in my arms. “Izzy, open your eyes.” I shook her, but she was unresponsive.

“No no no.” I cried and reached for my cell phone to call 911. When I hung up with the dispatcher, I called Gates. He showed up not even five minutes later.

“DAMN IT!” He shouted while I sat on the floor holding Izzy in my arms. Christ came running through the door with the paramedics and came right into the kitchen.

“What the fuck is goin….” He started to say, but brought his hand up to his mouth when he saw Izzy. “I think I’m gonna be sick.”

Upon examination, the paramedics said Izzy still had a pulse. They wrapped her arms to make the bleeding stop and then took her down to the ambulance. I rode with them while Gates followed in his car. 20 minutes later, we were sitting in the waiting area of the hospital’s emergency room.