‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 37

----------
Christ
----------

I had to be sitting on The Rev’s couch for nearly an hour when Chelsea and London came in the door. They had all their bags of stuff with them. “Chel, what are you doing?” I asked.

She stopped in the middle of the living room and shrugged. “Well, we can’t use your place any more because the small fire in the kitchen kind of put a damper on things.”

“The what?”

She stood there twirling a strand of blond hair between her fingers. “Oh don’t worry, we put it out in time. We used the fire extinguisher. By the way, we need a new stove.” She walked away like it was nothing and I just stood there with my jaw hanging open. I don’t even want to know why I need a new stove what my kitchen even looks like right now.

“So, I guess we’re just going to have the party here. Ok?” London was already sitting on Jimmy’s lap.

“Fine with me, Sugar Plum.” He kissed her lips and she put her arms around his neck and squeezed. I had a clue what these two were up to, but I can only hope that they don’t set anything else on fire.

“Thank you.” She smiled and got up off his lap and grabbed Chelsea’s hand to drag her in to the kitchen. The two of them could be heard laughing the whole time.

“Did you know about this so called party?” I asked The Rev.

“Yep. I did.”

Of course he did. Only I was oblivious to the inner workings of my girlfriend and her friends.

-------------
Shadows
-------------

“Want some ice cream?” I asked. Izzy was standing in the doorway of the kitchen while I stood at the counter with a container of chocolate chip mint and a spoon. She nodded her head. I smiled at her when she walked over to me. After setting the spoon down on the counter, I put my hands on her hips and lifted her up to set her on the counter.

I took the spoon and dipped it into the ice cream before bringing it to her mouth. She smiled when I pulled the spoon from her lips. “Is there a shortage of bowls?”

“Nope. It’s more fun this way.” I told her and put another spoonful in her mouth. “You know, this would be much better with chocolate syrup.” She laughed when I walked over to the refrigerator and took out the bottle of Hershey’s chocolate syrup. When I walked back over to her I dipped the spoon in the ice cream again and poured some syrup on it, then I brought the spoon back to her lips. She took it into her mouth and started to smile a little bit when I took it away.

“Much better, right?”

“Yes.” She nodded while I, myself had a spoonful of ice cream. “It reminds me of the time you and Gates made a sundae out of me.”

I laughed and set the spoon standing straight up in the ice cream container. “That was most definitely a fun night. You were kinda terrified of me though.”

“No, I wasn’t.” She shook her head denying the obvious and I looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “Ok, maybe a little, but I hardly knew you.”

I walked over and stood between her legs resting my hands on her hips. “Are you still afraid of me?”

“Not a chance.” She said and smiled up at me. “Are you afraid of me, Matt?” I looked down into her blue eyes sincerely as I responded. “No. I was at first only because I knew you were going to probably break my heart and you did, more than once, but you always came back to me.”

As I stood there looking down at her, she reached forward and placed her hand on my arm, tracing a finger lightly over one of my tattoos. “I’m sorry, Matt. I’m sorry for being such a bad person and for making you hurt all those times. I promise I’ll try and be a better person for you.”

I smiled at her and pulled her close to my chest. She was sitting now at the edge of the counter with her legs around me so she wouldn’t fall off. “Stop being sorry, Izzy. I wasn’t so innocent myself as I recall. So, stop blaming yourself for everything that ever went wrong, I played my part. I understand why you feel you need to say that to me, but today is a brand new day and I don’t give a fuck about what happened yesterday or the day before that. Lets just work on today. Ok?”

“Ok.” She nodded.

“Good.” I leaned forward and kissed her only to deepen the kiss when she put her arms around my neck. My tongue found its way past her lips and I could taste a hint of mint from the ice cream we just shared. We hadn’t been very affectionate with each other for quite a while nor had we been intimate. So, the need was there in both of us.

Just as I slipped my hands under her and lifted her off the counter, we were interrupted. “Matt are you here?” I heard my name being called and broke the kiss to set Izzy back down on the counter.

“I swear there must be some kind of radar signal that goes off when ever we are about to have sex.” I said and Izzy looked at me sympathetically. I kissed her lips one last time before walking out of the kitchen. Chelsea was standing in the living room looking confused as ever.

“Hi!” She smiled as I walked over.

“Hey, what’s up?” I asked.

“Well, London and I are baking a cake and we need some eggs and Johnny said we should ask you because you cluck like a chicken.” The way she was looking at me, she was dead serious. I don’t think she even realized what she just said. Somebody’s been hanging out with Kristina a little too much.

“Really now?” I went to the kitchen and got her the eggs and when I returned I handed them to her. “Here’s your eggs. Now, I want you to ask Johnny a question for me. Ask him if he wants me to buy him a booster seat so he can actually reach the table when he eats his cake.”

“Ok.” She smiled and walked out with the eggs. All I could do was mouth the words Oh My God as I watched her leave. When I headed back to the kitchen I found Izzy still sitting on the counter. Sadly, my place between her legs had been replaced by the ice cream container that she was now eating out of.

“Look’s like somebody’s got their appetite back.” I walked over to her just as she put the spoon in her mouth and kissed her cheek. “You feel like having dinner tonight? I can call the kitchen and have them make us something special.”

She set the ice cream container to the side and looked up at me with big blue eyes. “You mean like a date night?” There seemed to be a little bit of a glint in her eyes as she spoke. I hadn’t seen that in a very long time. I turned my head to the side and smiled.

“Sure, we can have a date night. I’d like that.” I nodded and she smiled and hopped off the counter.

“I’m gonna go take a shower and get ready then.” She hugged me and ran out of the kitchen. I hadn’t planned on it being a date night. Truthfully, it was dinner time and I was just hungry, but seeing Izzy happy like that made me happy. Date night it is.