‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 43

6 months later….
------------
Shadows
------------

“How do I look?”Izzy twirled around for me in her little red dress and I had to fight the urge to rip it off her.

“Sweetheart, there aren’t enough words in the English language to answer that question.”

She sighed and picked up her favorite little trinket and shook it hard. It didn’t matter that the dress she was wearing cost thousands. My money never impressed Izzy. That little snow globe was living proof of that. It was the little things that mattered to her the most.

Only two days ago, Izzy had signed her first recording deal with a major label. I had agreed to sign on as her manager and she was thrilled with the idea. Tonight we were all going to celebrate.

For the first time since it opened, I closed down the sidewinder for the night so we could all share in Izzy’s moment privately.

“I’m a little nervous.”

“Don’t be, we’re all family here.”

She set the globe back down on the table and walked over to me and stood between my legs. “Not about tonight, about everything that's happened. I feel like it’s bigger than I am.”

I set my hands on her hips and looked into her eyes. “You are tough as nails, Izzy. If anyone can handle this, it’s you. I’m sure of that. Besides, I’ll be with you every single step of the way.”

“Thank you. Thanks for everything you’ve done for me.”

“I love you, Izzy and this is only the beginning.”

I stood up and kissed her then took her hand in mine. “Come on, you have guests waiting.”

I led her down to the main lobby where everyone was waiting to congratulate her. Everyone was there except Vengeance and Marisol. Marco and Kayla sent them to Spain for their honeymoon. Yes, I said honeymoon. Kayla had done a world of good for Marco and helped him repair his relationship with his daughter. It wasn’t that way with London though. Because of her mother’s death, London would always blame Marco and refused to have anything to do with the man. Can’t say I blame her, but it did sometimes make things a little awkward between her and Mari.

“So, there’s our little rock star!” Gates was the first one to step up and hug Izzy. My how things have changed since Izzy first got here. I’ll never forget the night Gates and I made Izzy into our own ice cream sundae. Fun times, but Izzy was all mine now and I wasn’t sharing her anymore. We’ll maybe not anymore, there were still times when she would invite another girl up to the penthouse, but other guys were off limits.

"I'm not a rock star"

“Well you look like one! Doesn’t aunt Izzy look like a rock star?”

Journey giggled and tried to get down, but Gates had learned to become fast on his feet since becoming a father. “Let me take her for a while.” Kristina took Journey from Brian and brought her over to the bar to get her a maraschino cherry.

“She’s going to be a heartbreaker.” Izzy noted.

“All ready is,” Brian agreed and walked over to his wife. Journey squealed with delight when she saw her father coming towards her. Kids are cute an all, but I want Izzy all to myself for a few more years before we take that road.

“I wish Mari could have been here.”

“They’ll be home in a couple of weeks and we can have another party if you want.”

“You’re too much.” I smiled when she put her arms around my neck and kissed my cheek. “I can’t thank you enough.”

“Sweetheart, you have. Last night and this morning and again this afternoon and if it makes you feel better, you can do it again when we go upstairs later.”

“Is sex all you ever think about?” She asked.

“This coming from the nympho herself!”

“Hey Izzy,”

Izzy turned around to see Johnny and Chelsea standing behind her. “Hey guys!”

“We just wanted to wish you luck.” Chelsea said as she stepped up and hugged Izzy.

“Thanks, I appreciate it.”

mmm Chelsea, another one of my Izzy’s favorites. Now those were good times! Now, that she’s with Christ, those days are over, but oh the memories. “Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! What the hell is that?” I looked down to see what it is that had Izzy so excited. Must have been the huge rock on Chelsea’s hand.

“It’s a wedding ring.” Johnny said as if he was saying “duh!”

“I know that! What the hell?”

“It was spur of the moment, we did it this morning.” Chelsea answered. “We were going to tell everyone tomorrow.”

That little fuck got married.

“Wow, never thought I’d see this day.” I was being honest with Christ. Out of all of us, I never would have thought he’d find the girl of his dreams at the Sidewinder.

“Well it’s here, my friend.” Johnny answered matter of factly.

“This calls for a drink.” I put my arm around him and walked him over to the bar while listening to him go on and on about his future plans with Chelsea.

The four of us guys sat at the bar having some random conversation and I couldn’t take my eyes off Izzy. She was standing on the other side of the bar with the other girls all fawning over the baby and as I watched her she turned her head and caught me.

That’s when it hit me. Seeing her standing there playing with Journey made me realize that everyone else had done it. They’d all taken the plunge and married. Yet the girl who most deserved to have a ring on her finger was the one who didn’t. I know I asked her to marry me and she did say yes, but we never talked about it after that. I guess she figured I wasn’t going to follow through. So as Johnny put it, it’s time to “man the fuck up.”

I crooked my finger and waived her over and she came right to me. “Yes?”

“Can’t a guy miss his best girl?”

“I was right over there!”

“Too far away from me.” I put my hands on her waist and pulled her over closer. “I was thinking that I don’t want to go on tour with you.”

“What?”

“I think if I go on tour with you it has to be as more than just your manager, I want to be your husband by the time we hit the road. How does tomorrow work for you?”

“Are you serious?”

“Totally,” I nodded.

Izzy stood there as if she were contemplating. “Hmmm, I am a rock start now ya know. I’m going to have to check my schedule before I can make any rash decisions.”

I laughed as hard as I could. “Come here you little brat!” I pulled her closer and kissed her while she set her arms around my neck. “Tomorrow, I won’t take no for an answer.”

“Tomorrow,” She nodded. “Let’s go upstairs.”

“But it’s your night, it’s your party.” I really wanted her to know how much she was loved and I really didn’t want to take her away from the party.

“Let Johnny and Chelsea have it. They deserve it. I want to spend my night alone with you.”

“Say no more,” I stood and took her by the hand so we could excuse ourselves. As we walked out of the bar, we stopped and stood there looking back at everyone congratulating Johnny and Chelsea. The little man never stood taller as he did right then.