‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 9

-----------
Gates
-----------

Another whole day went by and Izzy still lay on my couch heartbroken. She hadn’t eaten nor had she spoke a single word to me other than “no thanks” when ever I asked her if she wanted something to eat or drink. Shadows knew the truth now and yet he never came down to talk to her. I was sure he would have been here by now and at least willing to listen to her.

I had spoken to Vengeance about my plan for Marco and he said he would find the perfect girl to pull it off. All this girl had to have, was nothing to lose. It would have to work; it was the only thing I could think of that would keep him out of our lives short of killing him.

Eventually, I would have to explain this to Shadows, but with him off in his own little world, it seemed a little impossible to hold his attention for more than five minutes without pissing him off.

Walking into the living room, I sighed at the sight of Izzy lying there lifeless on the couch. I don’t know how much more I could try with her. “Izzy, you have to eat something.” I knelt down beside the couch and put my hand on her hip and shook her lightly.

“I’m not hungry.”

“Ok, have it your way, but I’m giving you until tomorrow morning to eat something and then I’m going to hold you down and force feed you.” She didn’t respond to me this time. I stood up and walked back to the kitchen to get myself a beer and afterwards I went to my office. Christ had come by to visit Kristina and I didn’t want to sit there and invade her privacy, so I took this time as the perfect opportunity to work on my plan.

------------
Shadows
------------

I had done it. The unthinkable. I did it without anyone’s help and without anyone else having to get involved. Of course, it was going to bring a war, but I was ready. All I had to do was make sure everyone else would be ready. As I stepped onto the elevator, I felt a little apprehensive about going down to see Gates, mainly because Izzy was staying in his guest room.

The whole issue still bothered me. I had heard every word of what Gates had told me, but I still couldn’t manage to get past the image of Izzy with Marco. Seeing her with him hurt me more than words can describe. Stepping out of the elevator, I took a deep breath and walked into Gates’s living room.

My eyes went directly to the couch. Izzy lay there with her back facing me. From what I could see of her, she looked pale in color. I never realized how tiny she was until I saw her laying there like that. “Gates around?” I asked her, but she didn’t answer.

Not that I expected her to just get up on my account and lead me right to him. I let out a long defeated sigh and took a walk past the couch over to the kitchen, but found it empty. I know he’s here, he wouldn’t leave Izzy and Kristina alone after the whole Marco problem. I grabbed a beer out of the fridge and walked out of the kitchen and went to his office.

“Well, I guess I should have checked here first.” I said walking into his office to see him sitting behind his desk deep in thought.

“Huh?”

“Nothing.” I shook my head as I sat down. “I just walked into your living room and then through your kitchen before coming here. I tried asking Izzy where you were, but she didn’t answer me.”

He closed the book he had open and looked at me. “Yeah, well she hasn’t really said much of anything to anyone since the other night. She just lays there in a daze.” I wasn’t prepared to come and see Izzy let alone talk about her.

“So, anyway. I came here to talk to you about something.”

He was looking at me like I was strange. “You came to talk to me? Not Izzy?”

“That is what I said”

He shook his head disapprovingly and I’m sure he expected me to be falling all over Izzy begging her forgiveness, but that isn’t why I came here. “I took matters into my own hands.”

“You want to clarify that statement?” Gates leaned back in his chair and sipped his beer.

“Well, what would you say if I told you that as we speak, Marco Montes is locked in the basement at the mansion?”

“Are you fucking kidding me?” He kinda looked a little pissed off and that wasn’t exactly the reaction I was looking for.

“Not kidding.” I said and kept my eyes on him. Even though I was the one speaking, I seemed to also be the one that was confused.

“Fuck!” He yelled and covered his face with his hands while shaking his head from left to right. Again, not the reaction I was looking for. What the hell is wrong with this picture?

“Did you hear what I said?” I asked him.

“Yeah.” He said with an annoyed tone attached to his voice. “I heard you.”

Wow, I really didn’t know what to make of his reaction. “I’m going to let this sink in and go back up to the penthouse. We can talk about it later.”

That was the weirdest thing. Where was Synyster Gates? That was the thought in my head as I left his office. As I passed through the living room, I glanced back at Izzy one last time before leaving. She had remained in exactly the same position she was in when I got here earlier.

As I got back to my apartment, I stood there surveying the damage I had done. The whole place was trashed. This place was once my pride and joy. I walked through the living room amid the broken lamps and picture frames and over turned furniture and went straight to my bedroom. I kicked off my sneakers and took off my shirt and as I was walking to the bathroom to start the water in the shower, I stepped on something.

“Fuck!” I yelled out loud as I lifted my foot and picked up what it was that I had stepped on. Of all things for me to step on… “Shit” I mumbled under my breath as I looked down at the broken snow globe.