Letters to the Other Side

8/03/09

To Avril,

The first thin that ran through my head when I got your letter was who is this? Has she gotten the wrong person? Then when I started to read it I wondered why you chose me from all the people in the phonebook or however you found me. How could you trust that I wasn’t like everyone else?

Also, when you didn’t hear from me, why is it that you kept writing to me? I suppose I would answer the question you asked me, “Who am I?” Well I’m Jensen Smith, I’m 18 years old and I’m a Caucasian guy who spends his time smoking outside Coles and calling out names to the passers by. Not who you hoped? Didn’t think so. I’m sorry to disappoint.

Why is it you don’t think that school is for you? All my older friends say leaving school was the best thing they ever did. The told me they could do whatever they wanted and the freedom was breathtaking. So I did it. I did what my friends did because it was the ‘cool’ thing to do. I tell you now, Avril, leaving school is the worst thing you could ever do; no one wants to hire you because you are ‘uneducated’ and living off the dole gives you enough money to live with your parents and spend it on goon and smokes. Do you have naturally straight hair?

From Jensen