Letters to the Other Side

11/03/09

Jensen!

You replied to my letter!!!

I’ll tell you one thing, you haven’t disappointed me yet. You may be different to me; but you are honest and that is one quality that I value most. I say this because I don’t think I’m being that honest to anyone these days, I tell the people at school things that aren’t true to fit in, and I tell my parents that I enjoy things when I have the worst time ever. I went to a party with some girls last week; my parents thought I was at a sleepover and I sent the whole night worried that I’d be found out. I also feel that my parents aren’t being as honest as they say they are either. They are proud of me because of my grades, but dad hates my hair. No Jensen, my hair is not naturally straight, but curly. My mother doesn’t like how I never bring friends home, even though she acts like it doesn’t bother her; they both expect different things from me and I don’t feel that I can make them both proud and be true to myself.

Another thing that bothers me is that they (my parents) shelter me too much. The girls at school call me the ‘little tanned girl’. They asked me if I know what something was the other day and when I said “no” they all laughed and never told me. What is goon?

Yours sincerely,

Avril
Ps. Thanks.