Status: Finished

Never Take Anything for Granted

There's Nothing To Find

The team had spent the majority of their morning at the crime scene. There hadn’t been much physical evidence collected, and based on that fact they had decided it was probably a professional hit. Whoever was the murderer had policed his brass, wiped everything in his contact down and left no evidence outside of the house of him either approaching or leaving the crime scene. Gibbs was starting to get frustrated, and combined with a still-sniffling DiNozzo, the day had started to drag on. It wasn’t very often that the team would work a crime scene and pull no evidence.

Gibbs walked through the open doorway into the bedroom containing the body and the rest of his team. Each of them were in a different position, Tony shuffling around under the bed, Ziva looking through personal belongings and McGee was doing ‘his technical thing’ thrust upon him by a severely pissed off Boss as he thrust a laptop into his hands.

“Anything?” Gibbs sighed as his team shrugged back at him and shook their heads. “Dammit.” He was keeping his cool, much to the surprise of McGee who was getting a little fed up himself. The past four hours he had either been shuffling around on his knees out on the front porch or, his least favourite, glared at by Gibbs. McGee understood that it wasn’t very often that his boss was screwed over like this but taking it out on him would not solve anything.

“Bag everything” Gibbs continued. “If you guys can’t find anything, I’m sure Abby can pick something up.”

McGee placed the laptop on the bed next to where he was sitting and stood to face Gibbs. “Boss, I know it’s been a long day, and we’re all a little stress-“

“McGee.” Gibbs stared at McGee who stuttered and faltered like he did when he was a Proby on the team. Back when he was new and felt inferior to his co-workers. Recently he had started to feel that again, and he had started to feel out of place and like he was merely watching his life go by. He did have something else to focus on, however. Something that probably shouldn’t change him like it has done.

“Uh, yeah, Boss, I don’t think Abby is going to find anything.” McGee bit down on his lower lip and narrowed his eyes, bracing himself for what Gibbs had to say.

Gibbs just cocked his head and stared back at him.

“I-I mean, Boss. Abby is good, but so are we. I doubt she will find anything that…” McGee trailed off as he caught a glimpse of the murderous look forming in Gibbs’ eyes. “But we can always try.”

Sighing, McGee backed down from Gibbs. He knew that he was right, but he also knew that he wouldn’t want to piss Gibbs off, especially considering Abby was clearly his favourite. He made his way back over to the laptop and shut it down. He slid it into an evidence bag and took a glimpse down at DiNozzo who was still on his stomach covering every inch of carpet under the bed.

Tony wasn’t sure what exactly he was looking for, but he had learned a long time ago that when Gibbs was determined to get something done, he wasn’t going to stand in his way. On top of the cold that he had picked up over the weekend, he was now covered in carpet burns. This wasn’t exactly what he had in mind when he was excited about being out in the field but it got him out of the bull pen so he wouldn’t complain. Well, he would, but no more than he would have done if he was still back in HQ.

He surfaced from under the king sized bed and peered over it at Gibbs. “Boss, I think I’m done under here.” He sighed. “Still nothing. Not that I’m surprised.”

Gibbs nodded at Tony. “Help McGee. Bag everything, it’s going back to the lab.”

When McGee and DiNozzo had vacated the room, Gibbs made his way over to Ziva that was sat on the edge of the oversized bed looking through a photo album. “What are you seeing, Ziva?”

She sighed and smiled, holding up a photograph of their male victim sat on a beach with some other Marines. “I’ve seen all of the holidays that he has taken in the last three years, but nothing that will aid the case. What did you expect to find, Gibbs? I hardly suspect that our victim will have a picture of him with the killer pointing a gun to his temple.” She put the photograph back into the box and turned to face Gibbs.

Gibbs looked back down at her. He had a look of bitter defeat on his face, and she knew that the longer that he continued to battle with the case he would get more and more wound up in catching the killer. Gibbs wasn’t one to give up when he felt the pressure, but he was more likely to respond by locking himself in his basement and refusing human contact.

“We can’t win them all, Gibbs.”