Status: Finished

No Heaven Can Help Us

Barbecue

Image

Justin pressed his face against the window as Jenna pulled onto Bam's property. She had seen his house on TV but in person it was really beautiful. There were already cars parked around his property. Jenna parked the rental car by an Audi. She only had four days left before she returned the Honda Civic back to the rental car shop. Jenna got out of the car and rushed after Justin who was already running towards the door. He was about to open it but Jenna told him to ring the doorbell first. She didn't want to be rude.

"I can't believe we're standing in front of Bam's house!" said Justin, excitement clearly upon his face.

"Me neither!"

Jenna couldn't help but smile from ear to ear. She hadn't seen Justin this happy in a long time. He was finally going to meet his idol. The two of them waited until the front door opened revealing a bearded man. His eyes widened when they landed on Jenna and Justin.

"Hi, I'm Jenna Wells. This is my brother Justin. Bam invited me to the barbecue. I sure hope he doesn't mind my brother tagging along."

The bearded man's mouth curved into a smile. "We have plenty of food. He's more than welcome! I'm Ryan Dunn, by the way. Bam has told me a lot about you."

Jenna was caught off guard. Bam had been talking about her? As Ryan led them both inside the house, she wondered what Bam had told Ryan about her. Hopefully it was good things.

"Food and drinks are located on the dining room table." indicated Ryan. "And Bam's outside swimming. I'll let him know you're here."

Ryan scurried off leaving Jenna and Justin standing by the dining room table filled from every corner with food and drinks. Justin reached for a drink that had a bubbly beverage in it. Jenna quickly took it from him.

"Hey, I'm thirsty." he whined.

"Not for a beer you're not. There's Dr. Pepper right here."

Jenna dug a can out of the ice chest and handed it to Justin. He stuck it in his pocket then began to make himself something to eat. Jenna just settled for a hot dog and a Diet Coke. She looked around for a place to sit and decided that the two of them could eat outside where a large patio table with a shaded umbrella sat. Jenna watched as Bam got out of the pool and headed towards the stairs. While he was running up them he ended up tripping over a step sending him falling face first. He quickly got up and looked around to make sure no one had seen but Jenna had. She tried to cover up her laughter as Bam walked over to them. He felt himself blush as he sat down next to her.

"What's so funny?" he asked, his blue eyes piercing into her.

"Have you been walking long?"

"I've had a few beers."

"Uh-huh, likely excuse!"

Bam brushed off his embarrassment and smiled over at Jenna's brother.

"Hi buddy, I'm Bam! It's nice to meet you!"

Justin beamed up at his idol. "Justin. I've been a huge fan of yours for a long time!"

"You have?"

Bam was rather impressed.

'"Yeah. I've always dreamed of skateboarding with you."

"Well, I'm sure that could be done!"

Jenna watched in amusement as Bam and Justin skateboarded in his own skate park. She was so happy that her brother was having the time of his life. Only a year ago, he had been battling cancer and surprisingly he beat it. Jenna didn't know what she would do without him. Her brother was everything to her.

"Justin, I'm going to take a break! You're wearing me out!" said Bam.

"Okay!" called Justin.

Bam skated over to Jenna. He gracefully jumped off his board and took a seat on the bench next to her.

"He's very talented." he said.

"Yes, he's talented at everything. He plays baseball, soccer, and basketball."

Bam whistled. "Damn, he has a busy schedule."

"He's making up for it. Last year, he had leukemia. But, he's cancer free now."

"I bet that was a scary time."

Jenna nodded. "It was."

"So, tell me more about yourself."

Jenna looked over at Bam. Her blue eyes locked onto his. Nick had been her first and only boyfriend. She hadn't been nervous around a guy in a long time. So, why no when she was around Bam did she get butterflies? She took a deep breath and told Bam a little bit about herself.

"I'm twenty-seven. I own my own Gothic clothing store called The Black Angel. I've only had one boyfriend who was very abusive towards me and now I live with my mom and Justin."

"What about your dad?"

Jenna sighed. "He cheated on my mom with my now evil stepmother. He doesn't give a shit about me so I have nothing to do with him. Justin's dad is an alcoholic. My mom now has full custody of him."

Bam sighed. "Your mom sure knows how to pick them."

Jenna chuckled. "I guess I got that trait from her. Nick started beating me two years ago and I never did a thing. I just let him. He always thought I was cheating on him but all along he cheated on me."

"You deserve better." Bam replied sincerely.

Jenna felt her heart quicken.

"Thanks. So, what about you?"

"I'm thirty. As you know I'm a pro skater. I own a bar in town called The Note. I also have my own record label called The Filthy Note and me and my wife just recently separated."

"I'm sorry to hear that. What happened?"

Bam quickly looked away.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to impose."

"It's alright. We've been having problems for over a year. She cheated on me, wouldn't let me hang out with my friends, and all she did was shop. We were childhood friends but I guess people change."

Jenna knew exactly how he felt. Her and Nick were friends in High School. Four years ago they ran into each other at a bar and since then it was a match made in hell.

"Yes, they do."

Jenna had never had so much fun in her life. Bam, her, and Justin all drove around in his go-carts, they swam, and even made smores. Jenna was introduced to Bam's friends and family. They all seemed like real characters but were nice all the same. Although, one of Bam's friends named Novak kept hitting on her. Bam told him to leave her alone or he'd make him look like a raccoon.

When ten o'clock rolled around Jenna knew that she needed to get home before it got too late. She didn't want to leave but other people were already starting to clear out. she wanted to get out of there before all the drunks started driving.

"Bam, can I come back tomorrow?" asked Justin.

"We have plans tomorrow." lied Jenna.

She didn't want to bother Bam for another day.

"No we don't." replied Justin.

"I have plans."

"Fine," he said. "Then can you come to my baseball game on Monday? It's at Bentley Park field five."

Bam smiled widely. He hadn't been to a little league baseball game in a very long time.

"What time does it start?" he asked.

"At six."

"I'll be there!" he said.

"Promise?"

"I promise!"

Justin smiled at Bam then gave him a hug before heading to Jenna's car.

"Do you really have plans tomorrow?" Bam asked sceptically.

"Well...."

Bam smirked. "That's what I thought. Do you want to go to a movie tomorrow and maybe get a bite to eat?"

"Bam, you're still married."

"We're married yes but she filed for divorce. Come on, just as friends?"

Jenna thought about it for a moment. She would be a fool not to go with him but she just didn't know if she was ready to trust a guy again. If things got too serious she would take two steps back.

"Okay. I'll meet you at Los Cabos around six." she said before heading to the rental car.

Bam smiled widely. He couldn't wait to spend tomorrow night with Jenna. He wasn't falling head over heals for her yet but he really enjoyed her company.
♠ ♠ ♠
No more updates until next Wednesday! I'm going to Branson Missouri for the weekend, on Monday it's my 21st Birthday, and on Tuesday I'm having a cook out at my best friends house. I hope everyone has a kick ass weekend!