To Live Her Life

January 24th; Morning

Océane was back to “square one.” After all the freedom she had at the Ukrainian base camp, which in reality is what any other person would think of as none, she was back in the hands of her countries' people. Although she didn't know these people she was forced to travel with, she had no choice but to obey the superior authorities, so to speak. What they said she did, one of which was to stay in the back of the wagon.

She sat still sat there, on the flat bed of the thing as she leaned against the cab, looking out into the trail they just came on milliseconds prior. To her left was Ibrahim, and the right, Aleia. Both were curled up close to her body, sleeping silently on her chest as each of her arms lay limply around their individual bodies. The men had long since taken off again, making the camels travel through the once again harshly beating sun. The moon and stars long since disappearing in exchange for much more hated of the two times of day.

Only this time, one of the men also stayed with her on the back.

The man, in his early 30's, sat against what would be in Océane's view, the right side along the railing. He sat there, slightly faced the three “children,” staring. It almost seemed as if, if he looked away they would disappear from his sight... Not that it would matter much to them. To him in particular.

-

He was searching for his own wife and her brother, whom had gone missing with the invasion and the attacks that came with said invasion. He didn't care the least about 3 kids who were found instead. His family is what he cared about, not strangers.

All of his family lived in a small town, of only about a hundred but they were still extremely rich in resources there. It was actually one of the towns the enemy forces targeted, the same little town Youri and his fellow soldiers stopped at and used up all the gas for their own vehicles.

The man's name was Ullah, his wife Elisha, and his wife's older brother... Mayine...

He however was traveling with his own brother, Benjamin as well as his niece, Sara who was 8 months pregnant with her child. Sara's husband, the child's father was killed in the raid on the town. It was a gruesome scene he would never forget. Sara's husband was shot in the head lying on the floor of their bedroom, covered in blood as she knelt next to him sobbing on his chest. No one understood how she lived, but sometimes with her zombie-like exterior it was as if she was dead with him. A little piece of her died with her husband.

Ullah continued watching Océane the entire trip to their original destination before stopping upon finding the two little “babies” crowded around something in the near distance from the trail or road.
Ullah wasn't exactly the nicest person in the world, hate filled his heart the minute his wife went missing. And it showed. He hated that he hadn't a clue whether Elisha was alive, or dead. That she was safe, or not. If Mayine was with her, or not. So many questions. Questions with no answers.

-

Océane sighed. She had normal under clothes on, Youri's clothes actually. His name was inscribed in the tag in his language. She knew if anyone were to see she would be in greater trouble. Not to mention the fact that she wasn't covering herself properly, which was supposed to be at all times in any public place. In the presence of others was considered a very public place. But she was breaking the rules.

She actually prayed that the other army had her people in so much of an uproar that nothing would be done about it, that they could brush it aside and forget about her “sin.”

~~~

Youri had been laying on the ground, his backpack underneath his head as he stared off into nothingness, for the past hours. The sun since had came up and now the heat began to set in once more. Yet he still wouldn't move from his spot. Many had past his assigned temporary tent, all looking amused at what they thought was exhaustion. But it wasn't...

He couldn't get what his older brother had told him out of his head ' I told you not to get close to her...attached.' Olek's taunting voice echoed as he asked Youri where Océane was. It just continued to repeat over and over in his mind.

He had let her down.

And now he didn't even know if she were alive.

Ones, that were alive, were supposed to be arriving tonight. There was a rendezvous pick up at the before set upon spot and those who were there were picked up. They then started their way to the emergency camp. That is... if they could make it in time to be picked up. Or if they could at all.

Océane hadn't known about it, he never was able to tell her. Mayine didn't know from what Youri knew either.

He prayed with every fiber of his being that Océane was on that truck...

“Юрій?” He looked to the side upon hearing his name called. It was his oldest brother this time, Konstantyn (Con- stan-tin) as well as his father. Upon seeing their faces he sat up quickly and made it to his feet just as quick. He saluted them, as was the custom and then they each hugged.

“Син, у тебе є те, що ви хотіли б поділитися зі мною?” (Son, do you have something you would like to share with me?) With that simple question he knew he was either caught, if you could even consider it as that, or he was in serious trouble. Just his fathers demanding, serious and threatening accusatory tone was enough to let Youri know something bad was coming his way. Something got out that shouldnt have, most likely something that wasn't even true...some sort of false rumor. And you don't even to question the subject of that rumor...

Océane

~~~

Océane manged to fall into a light sleep just as the wagon was stopped again. The back of her head once more hit into the wood of the cab at the sudden halt, just like the time before.

She jumped involuntarily as her eyes bolted open, her head searching from side to side as she looked for some sort of danger. They were at a gate of some sort, like a check point almost. She saw armed men everywhere, walking pace-like back and forth in a long line outside of the make-shift fence. Some men however just sat still in the semi-sandy ground, looking forwards into the distance; towards the direction that the wagon just came.

The guards spoke some words, directing the man with the reins where to go once inside. They past on through the gate however without any form of opposition or second thought. Which was strange. There wasn't even a search, they just let them through. This fact made Océane curious. Even the Ukrainians (although not particularly thorough in their searches since she was never found) at least looked somewhat.

Once inside with the gate closed behind them, she saw the many swarms of Arabic people, none of whom she recognized of course but there were just... soooo many. Everywhere. Hundreds.

They all, all six meanwhile were located on the opposite side of Saudi Arabia as Youri, in the biggest Arabic base left that wasn't being controlled in some way by their enemies forces.

Ibrahim and Aleia had long since been awake, each still clung to Océane as the camels yet again stopped. This time Océane braced herself though, as to not hit her head another time.

With two little hands in her own, she stepped off of the back and they each had fun jumping off the back into the sandy dirt below. From there she was led towards a group of people by the other two men, the woman (Sara) walked beside her, now also happily holding Aleia's other free hand. Ibrahim was made to walk directly in front of her, but only by a few inches since he was afraid causing her to keep bumping into his back. Though Ibrahim wouldn't admit it, Océane knew he was scared of all the new people. He was unusually quiet and he was timidly look around at things instead of exploring every nook and cranny like a day or so before when it was only the three of them in the middle of the woody area.

She felt bad, because now that they were in the presence of others, she couldn't act or treat Ibrahim the same as before. No more loving kindness in public.

Her heart sank as she remembered everything she been through before meeting Youri...

Then it sank further remembering Youri...

She wondered where he was, if he was alright, what happened to him?

She would never know since she couldn't just ask how some Ukrainian man was doing, you know? She would be killed on the spot.

-

“ما اسمك يا فتاة؟" (What's your name, girl?) A new man asked once they made it to the group. She as well as Sara stayed a few feet behind, Aleia now wanting to be held by Océane. So she quickly raised the baby girl up onto her hip before telling them, timidly what her name was. Nothing more nothing less. “من أين أنت؟" (Where are you from?)

“Riyadh?”

“جيدة ، ويأخذها إلى الرجال هناك.” (Good, take her over to the men over there.) He pointed to a spot in the distance where a tent was at, as he spoke to the unknown man who stared at her on the way here to the camp like place. Ullah.

The Arabics kept the people separated by city or town, not only so they could keep order and “track” of them all, but also so that they could stay close to another instead of drifting apart in “sects” or cliches. Despite purposely being segregated, it would prevent groups of 4 or 5 leaving, instead it was hundreds of people in groups who would protect one another. Hopefully.

“اتبعني" (Follow me) Ullah told Océane loudly, adding “الكلبة" afterward. She nudged Ibrahim to move and he did, but he also held onto her hand over top his head as she walked behind him still.

The added word hurt Océane's feelings but she would never admit it nor let it show. As far as she was concerned he hadn't called her a 'bitch' or anything in the like... She just tuned it all out as she followed him to a new tent, a tent that had people from Riyadh. Hopefully someone she recognized.

~~~

Youri was being cornered, suffocated under his fathers intense figure.

“Ні, не те сер? Мені нічого вам сказати.” (No, not really sir? I have nothing to tell you.) He wondered if it would work.

“Справді, оскільки Олек, здається, думає інакше, як роблять багато людей, що оточують тут.” (Really because Olek seems to think otherwise as do many men around here.) His father paused as Konstantyn spoke up, bluntly. He always was more of the blunt type whereas their father wanted to force the truth out of his children, Youri included.

“Хто, чорт візьми, Oceane, Юрію?” (Who the hell is Océane, Youri?) Their father slapped Konstantyn on the back of the head for doing so, ruining his interrogation.

“Дівчина, яку я знайшов при пошуку через Ер-Ріяді.” (A girl I found when searching through Riyadh.)

“і?” (And?) Konstantyn was questioning him and getting on his last nerve.

“І що ж?” (And what?) Youri snapped back at his highly annoying eldest brother. The way he responded shocked both of the elder men into silence.

“Що ви робили Юрій ... Що ж ви отримаєте себе в?” (What did you do Youri... what did you get yourself into?) Youri's father mused more to himself than directing that question towards Youri. His father was wondering what stupid thing his son had done to get him in such a rut...

Never before had Youri been so snappy at his family, not until now.