To Live Her Life

1-5 months later

Océane didn’t see Youri for another 10 months…

~

Youri was taken into military “protection.” Basically being brought into the main Ukrainian army base for questioning about any information he may have on the “enemy”forces. He wasn’t in trouble nor anything in the like- It was more of a Romanian commander calls Ukrainian commander and informs them of “Timoshenko’s” escape, seize and travels back “home.” After relaying all that the man knew was going on to Youri’s superior, Ukraine’s militarial structure was alerted and since then all travel possibilities have been stopped and searched- They found him without too much of a struggle. Only they hadn’t known much about his medical condition at the time, or that he had with him Océane, Mayine and the twins.

Seeing the scabbed cuts and bruises lingering on Youri’s minutely exposed skin, as well as the limp, the first priority was to get him some form medical care. And some form it was… He was taken to the most prominent, highly known and accredited hospital in the country. This happened to be in Kiev, Ukraine… his initial destination and home town.

His leg was so badly damaged and fractured that it needed to be fixed surgically with little steel poles and screws to keep the fragments together. The doctors were amazed at his strength and will-power to get through the pain and put any pressure at all on it, and for as long as he had.

3 Days after his initial surgery the wound became infected and Youri became deathly ill…

By now Océane and Mayine had reached where Youri told them to go, Belaya Tserkov a city south of Kiev by a good amount of distance, not far but it would take a decent amount of time to travel from place to place. It had been a long 4 days and counting for her-

A week came and went, but Océane refused to leave just because he didn’t find them. She figured he had to be looking, hoped he was looking at the multiple boarding houses in the area… ‘but how hard could it really be?’ she began to doubt in herself as 7 days turned into 10. After much arguing, Mayine gave in and agreed to stay 1 more week before going further north like he was further instructed.

Océane refused to go anywhere, and she didn’t speak a word that 2nd week. She sat idly off to the side on the front step of the boarding house’s porch, staring off into space wishing he would show at any time. But each night resulted the same, she’d make herself stand and walk back into the warmth of the entrance way and eventually to the room they had been staying in. Not even the cold affected her, negative 9 with wind chill but she still was out there; she had ongoing colds but none of that mattered.

On day 12 Mayine grudgingly tried to pull her out of her trance; it didn’t work. Aleia and Ibrahim couldn’t even get her attention; which upset them both greatly.

“ Océane علينا ان نمضي قدما.” (Océane we have to go.) Mayine spoke loudly as he stood directly in front of her view on the 14th day.They already stayed longer than supposed to as it was- She didn’t acknowledge him in the least. “Océane!” He roughly grabbed the sides of her face and made her blank, dull eyes look him in his own. She spoke for the first time in nearly half a month, a simple mumble of ‘what?’ before slapping his hands away. Her glare into his eyes was harsh and snobby; challenging him to do something and make her leave because she damn well wasn’t giving in. But neither was he- “نحن بحاجة إلى الذهاب ، لكان 2 أسابيع. لدينا بالفعل أعطاه اسبوعا اضافيا وجه لها ، لأنه لا يأتي!” (We need to go, its been 2 weeks. We have already gave him an extra week- face it, he isn't coming!)

“نعم هو. يشاء ، ونحن للتو” (Yes he is. He will, we just-) She was cut off, not even allowed to finish her sentence.

“لا! استمع لي!” (No! Listen to me!) Tears started to well up in her eyes threatening to gush like torrent valleys as he scolded her further. He grabbed her forearm and pulled her, dragging her on her feet, into the building out of the harsh snowy weather.

“لا! انه قادم!” (No! He’s coming-) she wailed. Mayine stopped abruptly, gripped her shoulders and shoved her into the wall at their side, harshly. Her head hit the painted drywall hard emitting a loud thump.

“انه ليس وسنغادر الآن.” (He isn't and we're leaving, now.) He hissed as he shook her like a rag doll.


-

Month 2.

Mayine had moved himself, Océane, Ibrahim and Aleia into a tiny little village (if you will, as a simple comparison) right outside the city they stayed at in the boarding house. You could virtually walk to the boarding house from where they were now; it was close, but not too close. Océane hadn’t a clue about their whereabouts; Mayine kept it all a secret from her for an underlying reason.

He borrowed some “normal” western culture esque clothing from a new neighbor and got a job. Océane was also given a job by the same neighbor’s wife to help run her little bakery store for some cash monies they needed to live. Meanwhile, at the same time Aleia and Ibrahim stayed and were cared for her as she helped the neighbor woman so it was very convenient.

Youri however was having a difficult recovery still. Ontop of the initial surgery over the following 2 months he had 2 more before being set on a very heavy round of anti-biotics in order to rid himself of the infection.

By that time he was down, heartbroken and just mad at himself. He hated himself for not keeping that promise; his mind never failed to cease about thinking about Océane and the twins. He knew Mayine would take care of them but he still worried about Océane because of the culture issue and how she and Mayine both were raised to think. He wondered if he’d ever see her again. The days drug on but they still managed to pass by quickly.

He was healed, all save for his leg that still required a walking cast, or at times, crutches; but he was still broken inside. Most him beating himself up over the things he should have and could have done.

He was staying at base; despite being injured he was still required to work there if not critically ill and in the hospital. Basically if you still were mobile, even if you were in a wheel chair, you kept up your end of the commitment and do your job… He spent those long days in the garage, preparing small little part to vehicles amongst anything else he could manage to get his hands on; working kept him sane.

” Юрій, що ви робите?” (Youri, what are you doing?) The head mechanic scolded in fright; it was his head up against the commander if Youri injured himself any further. Youri was up on his feet, standing on a wobbly chair (the only ones available were the crappiest in the mechanics shops, everyone could care less about good ones seeing as though they’d quickly “get ruined” anyways), and leaning up and over a tank’s engine compartment on the back. He was dangerously close to falling off it and besides that, he had to practically stand on his tip-toes in order to extend his height enough to work inside.- He shouldn’t be doing what he was doing

‘Getting my mind off of her’ He replied in his mind. No one knew about Océane. It wasn’t something you could go around talking about on base or to any of these guys in the military on base…were he was stranded. ‘Oh, hey, yeah I think I fell in love with this Arabian-Indian girl after I saved her and oh, I also brought her back here. Have you seen her?’ That would go over real well with his fellow country men- messing around with the enemy. He might even get punished; not that that particularly mattered.

“Отримати. Вниз.” (Get. Down.) Youri was ordered. So he did. In a huff he stood upright and literally jumped off of the chair to stand in front of the head mechanic, biting his tongue he refrained from some back-mouth talk and just stood there, challenging the shorter yet older man in front of him.

After the guy disappeared, Youri went right back to what he was attempting to do before he showed up.

Hours later he got a visit from Demetrio as he hobbled into the main mess hall. (If you don’t remember who Demetrio is, he was with Youri at the very beginning of the story. The two of them found Océane and Youri stopped him from carrying out the duty of “killing” her because of her age…)

“Що з вами?” (What is up with you?) Demetrio asked, 100% for real, concerned and truly wanting to know.

“Що ви маєте на увазі "Що з вами?"” (What do you mean whats up with you?) Youri spoke back sarcastically as he made his way to the line. No one was in the mess hall yet, dinner actually wasn’t ready yet, but Youri had a certain special treatment where he gets meals first because of his injury and it being easier to walk in a hall with no one versus a 1000+ other men in a cramped space.

“Я маю на увазі, чому ти так себе ведеш, як такі зомбі?” (I mean, why are you acting like such a zombie?) Demetrio whispered from then on, he looked around him in almost fear of being heard what he next said. “Я знаю, ви не хочете бути тут, в армії і все. Але” (I know you don't want to be here, in the army and all. But-) Demetrio looked around once more before stepping closer to Youri than before. “Чи є це про те, що дівчина?” (Is this about that girl?)

Youri growled and showed him away. ” Це не ваше біса бізнесу!” (It’s none of your business!)

“... Так що про неї так?” (…So it is about her, huh?) Youri didn’t say a word as he made up his plate with food and went over to the nearest bench and sat down. Demetrio followed and sat across from him. It was silent a bit before Youri spoke up, in a whisper.

“Її звуть Océane” (Her name is Océane.) His voice cracked a bit so he covered it up with clearing his throat.

“Розкажи мені про неї.” (Tell me about her.) Demetrio was sincere, he wanted to know all about this woman that seems to have one of his friend’s reeling and distraught.Demetrio didn’t know Youri well but he knew enough to see the differences; how he was before meeting her and how he is now.

So Youri spilled his guts to Demetrio as they sat there in the emptied cafeteria. He missed her so much…


-

Month 3.

Ibrahim began something new; a trend, calling Océane “mommy.”

From that day, Aleia also started her own little “thing.”

Océane was icing cupcakes for the shop; they were red-velvet with a pale-blue food-dyed color of butter cream frosting. Aleia sat up in her little high-chair reaching forwards to grab the clear bowl full of creamed sugar. Finally she managed to strain herself enough to pull the bowl close enough to stick her tiny lingers inside and wiggle them around. 4 fingertips came out with globs of blue. The hand of course went right for her mouth; nevertheless more got on her face around her mouth than inside.

“ما أنا ذاهب الى القيام به معك؟ “(What am I going to do with you?) Océane animatedly laughed at the toddler.

“أكثر! “(More!) Aleia giggled and began reaching for the bowl a second time.

“لا! “(No!) Océane gently slapped her bitty hand away before moving the bowl way far away this time. “لا الآن أكثر ، وانت تعرف على نحو أفضل. “(Now no more, you know better.)

“الأم “(Mommy) She tried to be strict but it wasn’t easy. Aleia began crying; no doubt to get her way, and Océane gave in. She had such a soft spot for the twins, she gave them anything they wanted…within reason anyways. Océane grabbed a little spoon and put a little slob of icing on the tip of it before handing over to the little outstretched arm beside her.

“هذا كل شيء ، تسمعني؟ “(That’s it, hear me?) Aleia nodded and for a while a peaceful, content silence took over the big kitchen (all except for Aleia’s nosy ‘slurping’ off the spoon.) Minutes went by and Océane was working on the last cupcake in the batch of red velvet.

“الأم ، أين أبي؟ “ (Mommy, where’s daddy?) Océane froze as the cupcake dropped to the floor.


Nothing would ever be the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was getting a bit long, 2000+ words so I split into 2 parts instead of 1, 5000 word chapter-

Personal Vendettas <Click to see a preview of a new story?

Subscribe please, comment too?

Dedicated to:
Still.Breathing.
Purplegiraffe99

^Thanks for the comments from everyone who has commented as well as who have subscribed already (: *squeals* OMG! the whole 'readers' counter thing suddenly just started working again... I have more than 0 readers for my chapters on ALL of my stories now... finaaallllyyyyy bleh