Status: One Shot -- Done

Pink Bass -Zack Merrick One Shot-

Pink Bass

I was waiting for my best friend, Zack Merrick. Today's Saturday, April 21st his birthday. He's turning 20. I know it's an important for him and all but I have to do something for myself.
Today, I'm going to tell him that I love him.
The Kill by 30 Seconds to Mars started to play on my iPod, which was hooked up to my car radio. I've been waiting for Zack for about ten minutes now. He was spending time with Rian, Alex, and Jack at the park, then I have him. God, I'm so nervous. We've known each other since my freshmen year, granted we were pen-pals until he joined All Time Low. Odd how we didn't know we both lived in Maryland.
I jumped slightly when I heard someone knock on my car window twice. I looked over to the passenger side and saw my dirty blonde best friend. I loved how his hair was spiked today, but then again. I always love his hair. I rolled down the window for him.
“Are you just going to keep the window down or are you are going to unlock the door for me? I don't have my car today.” He said, with a smile on his lips.
I tried to hold back my giggle as I saw the birthday hat on his head. Of course, a gift from Jack or Alex, maybe even both. I unlocked the door.
He slid into the passenger seat with a quiet 'thanks', that I barely heard. His hazel eyes then looked into the back seat, where his gift is.
“That for me?” Zack asked kind of stupidly.
I rolled my eyes. “Nope,” I said sarcasticly and started my car.
Zack just chuckled and pulled the pink bass with a yellow bow on it. Thank god he's color blind, I didn't have any other color bows left except for yellow. Wait, did that sound mean? My bad, I didn't mean it like that.
“You got me a new bass?!” He asked/yelled.
I just nodded. “Guess that color.” I told him. He's used to me doing that.
As he studied the bass, I remembered back to the time when I first learned he was color blind, it was last year. I was still a senior in high school and he was already out.

'Hey Zack!' I yelled as I walked out of school. Zack was picking me up today.
'Yo Mary.' He said then held the door open for me then get in on his side of his Jeep.
Right when he got in, I asked him the question that's been on my mind all day. 'Zachary, what's your favorite color?' I asked him.
He made a face. 'Don't have one. I'm color blind.' He said. Wow, I never knew that. How could I? He always matched. 'What's your favorite color?' He asked me after a while.
I looked at him. I just knew he was going to laugh at me, color blind or not. Everyone knows it's a girly color. 'Pink.' I admitted.
No laugh, not even a chuckle. He did smile some. 'Then that's my favorite color too.' He said, which made me smile and my heart beat faster then before.


“I'm going to say, the bow and the bass are yellow.” Zack guessed, once my flash back was done.
I pouted. I didn't want him to know what the bow color was. “You got the right, but the bass isn't yellow. Guess again and think hard.” I told him.
Zack groaned and probably mentally cursed me. He then snapped his fingers. “Our favorite color! Pink!” He exclaimed and looked at me, smiling. His smile was making me melt. I probably had my own goofy smile on now too.
“Yup,” I said. I'm actually kind of shocked that he remember it was my favorite color, let alone he still claims it to be his favorite too.
“Thanks Mary. This is the best gift ever.” He said, looking over his bass again. He took off the yellow bow and put in on my temple, as if it was a flower. “Cute,” He whispered.
I blushed and looked down. My blonde hair falling in front of my face a little. I put it behind my ear and pulled out of the parking lot.

The ride to Zack's place was filled with him telling me about his day. A lot of people say he's quiet but I don't see it. He always talks with me.
Once I pulled into Zack's drive way, I bit my lip. He doesn't have a room mate anymore. It was going to be just me and him. Prefect, no sarcasm.
I walked inside with Zack and went into the living room while he went to his room to put his new bass away. I sat on the couch. I know how I'm going to tell him, all that's left to do now is … to do it.
“Hey, are you hungry or anything?” Zack asked me when he walked into the room. I shook my head and watched him shrug and sit next to me.
I turned my body to him. “Zack, I know it's your birthday, but I have to be selfish for a sec.” I told him. He just looked at me, waiting for me to continue. I took a deep breath.

“Zachary Stephen Merrick,” I paused. “I love you.”

By the shock on his face, I knew he knows I'm serious. We would joke around and say 'I love you' in a friend way. But this time is different. He knows it, I just hoped that he'll still be my best friend if he doesn't love me back, like I love him.
Zack still hadn't said anything, but he moved closer to me. He put his hand on the side of my neck and the other on the back of my head. Before I knew it, our lips were pressed together.
I couldn't believe it. Zack is kissing me and it isn't a dream! Then I closed my eyes and kissed him back. I held onto his shirt, even when he pulled away.
“I love you too, Mary.” He whispered and pulled me into his well built chest. I'm so happy right now! He loves me back. He actually kissed me! I didn't have to kiss him first.
I cuddled into his chest and smiled. He whispered something alone the lines of 'Best birthday ever.' I giggled and realized something important I needed to say.
“Happy Birthday Zack.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Birthday Zack Merrick! The ironic thing is, that I wrote this yesterday. I just didn't have a title until today. I kind of forgot it was going his birthday today yesterday. But it all worked out for the better. Please let me know if you like it and if I should make an actually Zack Merrick fanfic! :) Enjoy~!