Status: Complete!

You Fill My Sails With Your Wasted Breath

Seven Minutes In Hell; Otherwise Known as Family Dinner

My mother and I went out and after a long few hours of just us and shopping, my mom and I had forgotten about death and all the bad things in life. We came home and my house smelled like freshly cooked meat and hearty potatoes. Voices filled my house and it seemed like another random night at home. I walked in, calling for help with bags and everyone rushed out to help. Katie was smiling and racing with Joshua, Zach and Maggie. They all stared at me and offered hands with smiles and grins. Everyone was happy I was home. Hell, I was happy I was home.

"Let her do it herself!" a very familiar voice called from the kitchen. "Ariella, you're just too lazy!" I fought a snap but handed off the bags anyway.

"You're the lazy one! Can't even help your little sister!"

"Pff I specifically recall someone saying, 'I don't need help from the likes of you'! That's right, you're the jerk!"

"Come out here and say that to my face!" I shouted as I walked forward.

"You wanna mess, punk?" demanded my elder sister as she walked out. The girl with my face stared down at me. I was tall, standing five nine but my sister was taller. She stood a whopping six foot two and she was not a very comforting sight. She had my crazy brown hair, dirt brown eyes, and tan complexion. The only difference was our voice. Hers was lower, a thundering female tone that demanded respect.

"How's the East side, snot face?"

"How's Loserville?" she spat back. I rose an eyebrow and the two of us mirrored stances; arms crossed, hip cocked, grins wide.

"Come visit more." I ordered. "We've missed our mayor." She sneered and I flashed a grin. "You certainly haven't changed."

"And neither have you." She and I stared at each other before she grabbed me and hugged me close. Our embrace was short lived when I pushed her into the wall. "Oomph!" she groaned as she let me go. We stared at each other, the grin of satisfaction on our faces. "You're so dead."

"Not until Friday."

"You're not really going to die on Friday." She said, assuming her sisterly position of probing me wrong. I nodded.

"Believe me, Buck-o, I'm dying on Friday."

"It's cause you're a pansy."

"It's cause you were an a-hole to me while you were living here."

"You wish that was the reason. It's because you're not good enough to live." My sister and I were standing in the middle of our living room, my mother and father already in the kitchen doing their own thing. My friends were staring at us like we were crazy.

"Look who's talking! At least I don't have to move away from my own house to be happy!"

"You're an idiot." She spat, turning away.

"Who drove Maryanne Janning's car into the ocean? Not me!" I shouted as I pointed to myself.

"That wasn't me either!" she screamed as she turned around. "That was so Allen!"

"You told me you did it." I said shrugging a little and turning away with a grin.

"Are you two…okay?" Zach asked. Both of us looked at me, and I could see out of the corner of my eye, my sister grinning. He was cute, I know, and my sister knew too.

"You don't want to get between them," I heard Joshua say. "Only the experienced can do that and even then, there's a big chance you'll die." I glanced his way and my sister grinned.

"Not yet?" she asked, feeling triumphant to call out my fatal flaw.

"I'll have you know," I snapped. "It was today."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah!" I said as I nodded once.

"Where?"

"Expected." I said with a shrug.

"How long?"

"Long enough."

"Good?"

"Great." She and I started to smile and she pet my head affectionately.

"What are they saying?" Zach demanded from Katie and Josh and Maggie.

"They're talking about Joshua." Katie said with a giggle. "Good job, Josh!" Joshua glared at me, making me smirk.

"Thanks, guys." Joshua muttered. My sister and I turned and smiled brightly.

"Welcome!" We said together. Zach rubbed his head as if he had a headache.

"Oh dear, I'm seeing double." Katie and Maggie laughed together while Joshua just pouted to himself.

"They're sisters. Of course they're going to be like that." Maggie said.

"May I have the honor of knowing this sister?" Zach asked me and my sister.

"Name's Adella," My sister said as she held out her hand. "You the bad guy?" He frowned.

"No I'm the good guy, ma'am."

"He's the angel who's going to bring me to Heaven." I clarified.

"Okay," Adella said. "That still makes you my bad guy." She said casually.

"He's protecting me. He's the good guy." I said, shaking my head.

"He's your good guy." Adella said as she looked at me. "Your good guy isn't my good guy. Your bad guy isn't my bad guy either. Your good guy is my bad guy but your good guy's bad guy is also your bad guy cause you're stories connect."

"So wait, you're saying my good guy's bad guy could be the good guy to someone else? And that he would be the good guy while someone else is that good guy's bad guy?"

"Exactly."

"Did you guys get that?" Maggie asked with a chuckle.

"Not a bit." Zach said with a frown. "I don't understand you, Ms. Adella."

"You see, you're her good guy but you're my bad guy 'cause you're taking her away. Your bad guy is bad and he's also her bad guy cause he's trying to kill her too."

"So wait, does that mean they're both bad guys together?" I asked her.

"In my story, yes. In yours, no. They're their right guys but for me, there's no good guy since they're taking you away."

"You must have a good guy."

"I have a good guy," she muttered with a wide grin.

"You two are far too confusing." Zach muttered as he walked passed us. "I'd rather normal conversations."

"Can't handle the heat," Adella said under her breath.

"Stay out of our kitchen." I continued. Adella, Maggie and Kate started to laugh as they walked away and I started forward but Joshua grabbed my arm.

"You were talking about me?" he asked softly, his hand squeezing my bicep. I swallowed and shrugged a little. He grinned down at me and leaned forward to kiss my lips. He groaned against my mouth, making me blush. "You taste good," he muttered as he kissed down my chin.

"Joshua," I muttered as I glanced back at the kitchen. My sister was standing there, glaring at Joshua.

"You done now?" she demanded. Joshua pulled me against him.

"Not by a long shot." Adella walked into the room and I blushed deeply.

"I'mmmm going to get coffee." I muttered as I walked away from the two.

"Good, I'm going to have a conversation with your boyfriend." I walked away from them and sat in the kitchen with Zach, Maggie and Kate. Zach and Maggie were talking to each other about something, Zach looking confused and upset. Kate was staring at her phone while they were discussing.

"Sup, friend?" I asked as Katie as I sat down across from her.

"Just….Never mind. I have to get going soon."

"I thought you were going to stay for dinner!" I said as I stared at her. She looked down and bit her lip.

"I know, I wanted to stay but I really have to go in a few. Maybe like an hour or something." I bit my lip and nodded a little.

"Well what are you doing after?"

"Probably nothing. Mind if I come over and paint your nails and stuff?"

"Nah, I wont mind." I said chuckling. Nathanael walked into the room and stood by Kate and me and smiled a little. "Hey," I said smiling.

"Hello," he said a bit timidly. He glanced at Zach and the angel turned to him. Zach and Nathanael stared at each other for a long time and Nathanael glared at Maggie.

"What's wrong?" I asked softly. Nathanael turned to me and I frowned. "Come on, Nathanael. What's going on?"

"I'll have to tell you later." Nathanael said.

"Why not tell me now?"

"We're in mixed company." Zachariel said as he looked at me. I glanced at Maggie and Katie. My sister cleared her throat and we all spun around to look at her.

"Dinner is ready. Ariella, get the table."

"Adella," I snapped at my sister. She was in a rotten mood and I knew it. She glared at me and for a long moment, we held our gazes, both angry and demanding.

"Get up."

"Get bent."

"Ariella," said my mother as she walked out of the room.

"Behave, dears." My father added as he carried out the food.

"Have a bit before you go, at least?" I asked Katie, moving my glare from my sister to my best friend. She nodded and got up, quickly racing Joshua to the table. Adella and I remained where we were while Nathanael and Zachariel walked into the kitchen, Maggie soon after them. "How bad did you yell at him?" I asked.

"Not too bad," said my sister as she walked over to me and stood by my side. I stared up at her and then down. I couldn't stand looking at her. She was always so condescending. "Do you really think you're going to die?"

"I know I am, Adella. I can't fight this anymore. I need to get over it and work on it. It's a rough thing to deal with but I have to. I can't be like that cry baby protagonist and cry through every single thing. You know me."

"I do know you. I know you better than that boy out there. I know you better than mom and dad and those two guys who think their angels. I know you better than Katie and that girl Maggie. I know you better than you probably know yourself."

"Want to tell me more about what you know about me?"

"I'm making a point. I just want you to know that you can trust me. Whatever you think you're going to do, at least let me know." I stared at my sister and nodded.

"I know. When I get a plan, you'll be among the first to know."

"I better be the first," she ordered as she pushed my head a little. "Let's go, Ella. Time for dinner."

"But Ella!"

"Girls," called my mother. "Let's go! I don't want my food getting cold."

"Coming mom!" We called together as we left the kitchen and walked to find our seats. I sat next to Joshua and Katie, My mother and father sat at the ends and Maggie, Adella, Nate and Zach were squished into one side. Zach and Nate didn't eat so it was really just Adella and Maggie with food. They were given the most room and Zach and Nate were carefully watching us eat and talk. Adella and I were telling about when we were little and my parents were gladly adding to it. Maggie laughed at everything, Katie chuckled and Joshua just listened. He'd smile and laugh occasionally but it was like he wasn't really there.

"I remember when Joshua first came over the house," Adella said with a wide grin.

"You do?" I asked. "I don't think I do…"

"Oh yes," said my sister with a wide grin. "He looked so nice, his hair all neatly cut and you wore a nice blue sweater over a blue long sleeve shirt and it was nice. You had a lot of books in your bag and you were very happy to be over our house. It was the second day of middle school for Ariella and you were in your second year of middle school and you came home with her. She had been made fun of. I remember thinking if I had been at the school, I would have beat up the kid. Joshua walked you home because you had cried." Adella grinned at Joshua and I almost kicked her under the table but Joshua only smirked back in that smug way of his.

"Yeah," he said. "I remember that day. I think it was you two made fun of me for bringing her home. You told her to suck it up and fight the kid."

"You were so violent!" Katie said to Adella, making us all smile.

"I remember Ella saying she beat him up actually." I said chuckling.

"I do too," said Adella.

"Ella?" Maggie asked. "Is that what her nickname is?"

"Yeah," Adella answered. "It's both our nicknames. When we were little, we used to call each other Ella because Adella and Ariella are just too difficult for four year olds."

"I called you Ella first," I said smiling. "It was at grandma's house out in the Midwest somewhere."

"I remember that house," Adella said smiling. She turned to everyone and started to talk about the house we practically grew up in. Quickly, Katie finished her meal and frowned.

"I hate to leave this," she said as she sighed. "But I have something really important to do."

"Oh, that's too bad," said my parents. "Will we see you back here tonight?"

"Yeah," Katie said. "I should be done by maybe ten at the latest." Nathanael and Zach stood up and stared at Katie. She stared back and I thought I saw her swallow.

"Be careful," said the two boys together. Katie nodded and got up, excused herself from the table and left quickly. I glanced in Maggie's direction and saw her staring at her food. She picked at it a little but she seemed to be lost. Like she were sleeping, or rather, trying to stay awake but couldn't.

"How about you and I clear the table?" Joshua asked as he stood. The two boys stared at him and I stood.

"Sure," I mumbled as I grabbed Adella's plate, as well as the two angels'. "Mags you done?" She looked up at me and for a brief moment I thought I saw something that looked like another person instead of her sitting in the chair. She smiled, that smile she always gave people when they were finally being nice, and handed me her plate.

"Thank you, Ariella," she said kindly.

"No problem," I replied as I walked into the kitchen, Joshua was close behind me. I placed the dishes in the sink and when I turned around, there was Joshua.

"What do you want to do?" Joshua asked, placing the dishes in the sink. I stared at him, his eyes never leaving mine, and shrugged.

"Video games?" He smiled and nodded.

"In the living room so I can hear your sister bicker with you."

"I'd rather my room," I mumbled grumpily as I thought of Adella ruining my Halo Reach.

"I'd rather your room too but I'm not sure your parents want us alone now that we're together," Joshua said as he kissed my lips.

"Come on," I said as I shoved my hand in his face. "There are more dishes to bring in," I said with a laugh. He followed after me and we quickly brought all the dishes in and I quickly cleaned them, longing for some long needed Xbox time. Maggie, Nathanael and Zach helped me, while Adella, mom, dad and Joshua sat in the living room talking. Probably about him and me. That was nice and predictable.

"I don't like that you let her go so easily," Nathanael said softly. Maggie was putting away the dishes while Nate handed them to me by stacks and Zach dried them. He and Maggie had a long staring contest but it was funny. He was losing.

"Who?" I asked. "Katie? She'll be fine. She's a big girl and can change her panties whatever way she wants."

"She may be doing something dangerous."

"She knows what she's doing. I trust her."

"But can you trust everyone else?" asked Maggie. I glanced her way and so did the angels. "If you can trust those close to us, how can you suspect to trust those who are unfamiliar? How can one accept death it is not first familiar to you?" I stared at her and noticed she wasn't looking at anything. She was just staring, as if focusing on something else.

"Mags?" I asked as I touched her arm. She looked at me and smiled.

"Sorry, zoned out a bit."

"Right," I muttered. "Uh, want any dessert?" I asked her and the angels.

"Nah," said Maggie. "I'm good." She smiled at me and looked at the other two. "I'm sure we'll be seeing each other again," she said before she looked at me. "I'll see you Friday, Ariella. I think that movie Despicable Me is out. Want to see it?" I nodded and smiled at her.

"I'll be sure to meet you there." Maggie smiled and walked out of my kitchen. I heard her say good bye to my parents and I heard the door close. I glanced at Nate and Zach. "You guys want to tell me what's going on or can I stay in the dark?"

"She's not someone you want to hang out with, Ariella."

"Why? Is she a demon?"

"Much worse," Zachariel muttered. "Much, much worse." He glanced at the clock and sighed. "We must be going. Are you coming along or will we wait for you at the next battle?"

"Go get your feet wet. I'll be sticking around with my family for tonight." Nathanael and Zachariel nodded.

"Good evening then," Zachariel said.

"We'll catch you around," Nate said as he smiled and in an instant, they were gone.

"I definitely gotta learn how to do that," I muttered to myself.

"Do what?" Adella asked. "Where did those two pretty boys go?"

"Adella," I said as I looked at her. "You are so annoying."

"Yeah, you too booger."

"Why do all older siblings call their younger sibling a booger? It was like the most popular insult for older sisters in the 1980s."

"It's because they're gross and disgusting and if you eat them, they'll get stuck in your stomach for like 7 years or something."

"That's bubble gum."

"Nuh uh!"

"You girls are really violent," Joshua said from the door way.

"How was being raped by my family?" I asked with a grin.

"It's sore and I want to go home."

"The doors over there," Adella said as she jumped on the counter. "We're not stopping you."
"Ariella is." He said as he walked over to me and hugged me. "I miss her already." I blushed and looked away.

"Joshua, you shouldn't do that."

"I know," he said smirking. I glanced at him and pouted. "But I like seeing you blush."

"Why do all guys like that?" I demanded playfully.

"It makes us feel superior."

"You're not," I said crossing my arms, giving me a little wiggle room to move away from Joshua.

"I know but I like thinking I am." He said as he looked at Adella. "You used to like me."

"That was before you dated my sister."

"I'm still dating her. Your tense is wrong."

"I'll wrong you," she muttered under her breath. "Hey, do you have any games we can play?" she asked me. "I was totally deprived of my gaming systems when I was at college."

"So come back home and spend all day gaming." I said as I walked out of the kitchen. Joshua and Adella were hot on my tail and we went up to my sister's old room to play Halo: Reach.
♠ ♠ ♠
All in favor for loving Adella? ME! And poor Joshy being interrogated by everyone in the family.