Status: Paused

Charmed

Chapter Two

“Hurry, Oka!”
The winter breeze blew itself across Oka’s cheeks. Her perfect pale skin was lined with frostbite. The trees were swaying about as the wind howled an eerie tune. Her bare feet were coated with tender snowflakes, and her silver blue hair swished in the wind.
A hand grabbed her wrist and pulled her forwards.
“Hurry! We need to get back to the cove,” said Nye as she tugged at Oka’s arm. She reached up and presses her palm to Oka’s face. Instantly, the frost bite cleared and Oka’s skin was a soft smooth texture again.
“Thanks,” murmured Oka and let Nye steer her way through the trees. The soft crunching noise of snow being trod on was heard as the two wylla ran through the forest. The needles of pines swung at them as they ran, but Nye brushed away off hastily.
Nye and Oka were sisters. And they were also wylli. Wylli, were beautiful faery-like spirits that roam the forest. Most humans are not aware of their existence, but legends were told that wylli are manipulating and evil creatures that captures innocent humans and abuse/torment them. Even thought this was true, people only saw this as a myth. Few humans however, know the truth behind the tales. An ancient organization that goes back centuries and are known as ‘The Hunters’. These men spent their lives hunting down wylli and killing them as revenge for their ancestors who died in the hands of a wylla. These men come out at sunset. That’s when all wylli are heading back to their coves and a great chance for the hunters to corner them.
As Oka and Nye hurried along the path, their hair flying out in all directions, they heard another crunch of snow right behind them. Oka whipped her head back. Through the clouds of swirling white snow, two dark figures on horseback were seen hidden in the shadows.
Realization flood through Oka and fear was pounding in her heart.
“Come on!” yelled Nye and she gripped Oka’s wrist and ran. Oka, awakened from her trance followed her sister as the two tore their way through the trees. Hooves were heard thumping against the snow behind them as the hunters picked up their pace.
“Here, through this brush!” cried Nye. “We’ll slide off this cliff, those men on horseback can’t do that.” She disappeared with a rustle of leaves and snow fell to the ground. Oka hastened to follow. When she looked back at the hunter, still heading full speed at her, she saw that the second one was quite young, unlike all the other hunters who were way past mid-age. She looked down again and hesitated. At that moment, the younger hunter caught up to her and grabbed her wrist in his hand, yanking it upwards. Oka, surprised, attempted to slip off the edge. The boy would not let go. And as Oka wrenched at her arm, she lost her footing and tumbled down the cliff, dragging the boy with her.
When they reached the bottom, Oka straightened up panting.
“Oka are you alright?” asked Nye, hurriedly rushing to Oka and the boy, white-faced.
“The boy,” Oka panted, and looked down. The human boy had his eyes closed, deep cuts lined his face. And Oka noticed his leg was bent in a awkward angle. The older hunter had disappeared out of sight.
“He’s hurt.” She told Nye, looking up at her.
“So?” replied Nye, “Let’s Go!”
“But the boy, he’s hurt, he’ll die,” whispered Oka.
“He also tried to kill us.” Snarled Nye and pulled at Oka. “Now let’s get going!”
Oka wouldn’t budge. She knelt there beside the boy and kept staring at him.
At last, she whispered, “You go.”
As Nye’s footsteps faded into the night, Oka pressed her hand against the boy’s cheek. His wounds slowly closed up and healed. Oka smiled. There was something about this boy that she couldn’t make out. But she felt that he was different.
She managed to drag the boy into a near-by cave, careful not to injure his leg even more. As she finished gathering enough bedding for both her, and the human boy, her whole body felt tired and numb from the cold. Oka laid her head gently and on the boy’s chest. His heart thumped a soft slow rhythm as Oka closed her eyes and let sleep take over her dreams.