Status: Paused

Charmed

Chapter Five

Nye was slowly making her way across the snowy forest grounds. What little grass they had the last few days were covered again by snow from last night’s storm. The distant wind blew across her face as Nye inhaled deeply. The cold air mingled with a faint smell of smoke. Deciding to trace the scent, Nye let her nose lead her to an empty cave. Stepping inside, she immediately recognized the scent of her sister. She could also make out the presence of another scent, but this she had not come across before.
Walking further into the cave, she saw bits of wood and kindling in a patch that had once been a blazing fire. Coming to the conclusion that Oka had probably left this place earlier in the day, Nye made her way back out of the cave.
The sun shone in her eyes, blinding her for a brief minute. And when she uncovered her eyes, he realized that she was surrounded by men with horseback. And all of them had their arrows pointing right at her.
*******
Crunch.
A twig snapped cleanly in half as Oka stepped onto it. It was late in the afternoon as Oka and Eryke kept walking along the dirt road. Oka had just woken up this morning to find Eryke standing over her, telling her that they were going to find her parents. She had got up hastily and was too stunned to ask any questions. Quickly coming back to her senses, she had asked Eryke why he made that decision but had gotten no reply. Instead Eryke had asked her if she knew where any of her relatives lived and all Oka could recall was her aunty Izzy, whom he had heard Nye speak of before, and lived not very far from the bank of Salmon River
Feeling as if her knees would buckle at any moment, Oka stopped, and sat on a nearby log. Realizing that Oka was no longer beside him, Eryke stopped too. He looked back at her, seeing the expression on her face, and then sat down beside her.
“I’m sorry,” Oka apologized, “I’m just so exhausted.”
Eryke smiled sympathetically, and touched her hand.
“You know,” began Oka, “It would be nice if you would kindly explain to me why in the world you care about finding my parents? I’d like to feel in-the-know, if you know what I mean.”
With this, Eryke laughed, and looked straight at her.
“You’ve never actually been alone have you?” he asked her, his face serious again.
“Well it was always my sister and me, so…”
“See, that’s what I thought,” interrupted Eryke, “You’ve never experienced being alone, and you don’t know how dangerous it is.”
“What are you talking about?” She asked him, slightly annoyed, “I have a lot of experience with the wilderness, I know what goes on here.”
“I’m not talking about your outdoor experiences; I’m talking about the pain you would go through if you were all by yourself.”
Eryke lowered his head, and said, “I know that feeling, and it’s not something anyone would want to experience.” Looking up at Oka, he continued, “I especially wouldn’t want you to feel that pain. I know I would try my best stay and protect you, but what if something happens, and we get separated forever, you need your parents.”
Oka suddenly felt her eyes swell up with tears.
“I didn’t know you cared about me,” she whispered, “especially since I’m half Wylli.”
To her surprise, Eryke grabbed her and pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly.
“Don’t ever say that,” he told her, his hand gently stroking her silky hair, “I care about you, and because of that I will making sure you are reunited with your family.”
Oka put her hand around Eryke, and smiling, she let the tears roll down her bright red cheeks.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for taking so long, but I really had such a busy month, what with moving, end of term exams and all that. Another boring chapter, I know. However I felt like doing some more explaining about the relationship of Eryke and Oka because a lot of you had felt confused with some of the time gaps so... Bear with me, more coming and I promise the plot will get more interesting as you go further along.
Thanks for viewing,
Ali.