Status: Rewriting.

Half In Love

Sweet Dreams;

I could feel the strange buzzing feeling, but I didn’t want to move. I didn’t want to reel in the anchors and call it a night; I was ready for so much more exploring. There were depths of this ocean that I hadn’t reached, corners of this Earth that I hadn’t discovered. I could teach myself all the ways of this sea.

Tonight the bay’s a pane of glass – let’s break it. Our bodies ache to swim, so let’s –

“Mmmmmhello?”

“Where the hell are you Kersey? You were supposed to meet me here five minutes ago and I’ve been sitting in this damned café for fifteen minutes, looking like an idiot while – “

“Mom?”

“No this is not your mother! Kersey, wake up; you have a job interview today!”

I’d never felt like such an imbecile in my life, sleeping in, calling Darcy my mom, just ugh.

“Fuck, fuck, fuck…” I mumbled to myself, throwing my phone back onto my mattress and running across my bed. I needed make-up; I needed a cute dress-

“A-ha!” I found a cute dress.

I threw in on my bed, rolled some dark tan stockings up my legs, slipped my dress on, and stumbled my way to my bathroom. My naturally decent wavy brown hair was settled after a little brush or two, so fixed it up some, added some blush, some brown eyeliner, a little lip gloss, slid my feet into my ankle boots, and grabbed my phone off of the bed.

“I’m on my way, Darc; give me five minutes,” I said quickly, hanging up, grabbing my portfolio, my bag, and throwing Carlisle a kiss before I slammed the door shut behind me.

I had never raced down these New York streets so quick, especially with heels on. My mother would be proud of me.

I got to the café about eight minutes later, cursing to myself.

“Finally!” Darcy shouted from her little table outside, her coffee mug nearly empty.

“I know, I’m sorry!” I groaned, joining her at the table. “I guess I overslept.”

I was up working on my portfolio until two o’clock this morning. It looked fantastic, I had to admit.

“So,” Darcy started after I got some coffee. “Have you thought about everything – about working at the magazine?”

I nodded, licking the foam from my top lip.

“Yeah – I mean, they’re extremely prestigious, and I get to meet all of the amazing photographers throughout the country. I see it as more of a experience to prosper rather than an experience to work for Cosmo.”

I bit my lip nervously. My chance to find what I’d always wanted; I wanted to be a photojournalist. I was fantastic, that was true, but I didn’t have the experience – the simple techniques that a real photojournalist needs. I needed that ability to take anything they ask me and turn it into art.

Darcy looked down at her watch. “I think we should start heading that way; it’s 11:13.”

“Yeah” – I nodded – “we should. Don’t want to be late for my first interview in big ol’ New York.”

That sounded far more extravagant than it was.