She'll Never Dance Alone

Miss Popularity

“Dear Meghan,
You probably don’t know me very well, but I think you’re pretty sweet. You did a really good job at the sophomore talent show last year! Your dance routine was great! I know I don’t stand much of a chance with you, but if you’d like to talk, leave a note on locker 622, ok? You seem really nice!
<3 Your Secret Admirer”
I glanced at the note for a moment, then crumpled it in my hand, setting it in the little tissue box I kept in my locker for situations like this. This was the seventh letter this week. It isn’t easy being so damn popular. Suddenly a pair of arms was wrapped around me.
“Guess who?!” Alexa giggled. I turned around and gave her a big hug.
“I got another note, don’t know who this one is from, but it’s not much of an effort!” I said, laughing obnoxiously. “Recognize the writing?” I grabbed the note from the box and held it up for Alexa to see.
“HAH! What a nerd!” Alexa squealed, “That’s that Robby dork from math class!”
I started laughing so hard that I almost swallowed my gum. Robby was a total loser, a tall skinny kid with emo hair, silly glasses and freckles dotting his cheeks. He was hardly even a guy, he wrote poetry in every class, and was consistently late for lunch because he was in the band room screwing around with the guitars. His dorky crush totally cracked me up. Once the final bell signaled the end of the day, I half-heartedly tossed the note into the box and grabbed my bag.
I strutted down the hallway, waving at all the popular girls and winking at all the jocks. I was, without a doubt, one of the most popular girls in school.
~*~
I plopped down in the corner of the gym, gently adjusting the bow that accented my ponytail. Giving a tug on my hot pink shoelaces, I hopped back up again and ran into the formation. We were learning a brand new routine for tonight’s homecoming game, and being some of the best cheerleaders in the state, we had to put on a show. With perfect form I was thrown into the air by the two bases supporting my feet. I flew up, the air brushing around my face as I experience a split second of weightlessness. Unfortunately this didn’t last, my back spotter had gotten distracted and I went flying straight into the ground. Great, a fresh shiny new bruise right on my ass. Ms. Morgan wouldn’t be too happy about that.
Most of the girls in cheerleading, other than maybe Alexa and a few other close friends, didn't know that I still did ballet. I’d been dancing since I was a little girl, and somehow managed to find some time out of every day to enjoy my real passion; dance. Well, even Miss Popularity has her secrets.
Blinking my way out of this momentary day dream, I noticed poor Chastity, my back spotter, practically crying with shame. I waved her off, smiling in cold, fake forgiveness. Dumb bitch.
~*~
The homecoming game went fantastic. The cheerleaders put on one hell of a performance and the football players didn’t do too badly either. As I piled into the car with my friends, I tore the hair tie out of my ponytail, tousling my hair until it fell in a way that I found good enough for the crazy party I was heading to. I had already packed a bag with my favorite tank and skirt, and I had made sure that my parents thought that I was sleeping over Alexas house. As we pulled up to the house, I think it was Johns house, the captain of the football team, we all jumped out of the car and ran in cheering. This would be one hell of a night.
~*~
I crashed on the couch. I was exhausted from dancing and cheering. At least three couples were hooking up next to me, but I was just chilling until I could rejoin the festivities. Suddenly, a guy approached me, handed me a soda and said “Hey, you left this on the table!” I thanked him and took a quick sip; I was super thirsty from all that fun. The soda tasted great so I downed almost the entire thing, hoping that it would satiate my crazy thirst. I think it was just as I realized that I had never gotten a soda that the ceiling started turning purple.
~*~

~*~
The ceiling was green this time. I blinked heavily, the world was spinning. Suddenly I noticed that I couldn’t move. Not only because my body was exhausted, but because my wrists were pinned to the ground. I tried to look up but I passed out again, just as my body lapsed in to an intense state of pain and pleasure.
~*~
Everything hurt.
But at least it was Thanksgiving break.
I could sleep.
~*~
On Monday, I walked into school confused as can be.
No one called me over break. No one messaged me on facebook. Several kids actually deleted me.
What happened at that party?
As I wondered down the halls to my locker I was getting snickers and dirty looks. Some kids whispered while others just openly laughed at me. When I got to my locker, two envelopes had been taped to the door. I opened up the locker, and opened the first one. It was a photo of me, lying on the ground, legs spread. My skirt was around my ankles. Someone had written “SLUT” in red marker at the top of the page. Someone had scrawled “This is all over the internet, whore.” on the back of the picture. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. That couldn’t be me; I didn’t drink or do any drugs at the party. I think...
Panicking I tore open the second envelope. It was a post-it note with “The rubber split, whore.” written on it. There was something else in the envelope; a pregnancy test.
Sobbing, I ran into the bathroom.
What did I have to lose?
Everything.
~*~
I sat, staring at that undeniable pink plus sign.
It was official, I was the school slut. I’d be off cheerleading the second the picture reached the coach. I had to talk to Alexa.
I ran to Alexa's locker, tears still streaming down my face. I managed to say her name before she turned around to look at me.
“Do I know you?” she said, a smirk across her face.
It was over.
~*~
I sat in the bathroom again, this time it was about third period.
I tore a sheet of notebook paper out of my notes and began to write.
~*~
“Dear Robby,”
♠ ♠ ♠
my oh my, it's been a while since i've written something :)
please do comment, i'd love to know what you think!
chapter two will be out soon, Robby's a real sweety, you'll love him.