The Movies Make It Look Easy

Chapter Twenty Six

Today is my 17th BIRTHDAY!!
So I'm uploading so soon as a present to all of you....how's that for logic?! lol

Give me some Love!!!

Kaz xoxo

**************************************

Chapter 26

Shannon’s P.O.V:

I ordered a cup of tea and a gigantic slice of cake.
Nick raised his eyebrows when he saw the size of it as if to say I wouldn’t be able to manage. I just scoffed; guys never understood a girl’s ability to pack away copious amounts of anything chocolate-related – especially when we’re upset.
I looked around me as I stirred my tea to cool it.
There were only six tiny tables in the shop and the counter and food displays took up one wall.
It was run by two old ladies who were both adorable –
I could imagine them perfectly sitting in front of a fire and knitting...they looked like stereotypical grandmothers.
I think they’d given me extra cake when they saw I’d been crying – they immediately went up a couple of notches in my book.
Smiling happily at the cosiness of the place, I looked at Nick.
He was quietly watching me, waiting to be told what had happened.

Sighing, I took a sip of my tea.
‘You want to know what happened, don’t you.’
He shrugged, ‘yes’
I sighed again.
‘But you don’t have to tell me’ he quickly amended.
I gently placed my hand on top of his, which was lying on the table.
‘I do want to tell you, it’s just hard’
I smiled at him but when I went to take my hand away, he quickly twisted his, linking our fingers so I couldn’t move it.
I felt myself beginning to blush so I ducked my head and took another mouthful of tea.
I felt a finger under my chin, lifting my face up.
‘What happened, Sweetheart?’
‘Natalie hates me’ I suddenly burst out.
His finger stroked my cheek and brushed a couple of strands of hair off my face, tucking them behind my ear. He could easily reach my face because the tables were so small. I could also feel his warm knees brushing against mine every time he moved.
Tingles broke out along the length of my spine and I was pretty sure I was blushing again but he just stared into my eyes.
Eventually he dropped his hand from my cheek, instead picking up his cup of coffee.
I closed my eyes, was it weird that I missed his touch?
I didn’t have time to mull over the fact that I’d liked him stroking my face before he spoke again.
‘Tell me what happened’
I glanced quickly at our interlinked fingers as if the sight of his hand in mine would make it easier to talk about the fact that my best friend now hated me. I began to tell him what had happened with Natalie in class.
He sat quietly, the whole time his thumb was caressing the skin of my hand, sending distracting sparks shooting down my arm.
‘I’m sure she’ll come around when she realises Lee’s lying’ Nick said gently ‘and if not then she’s not worth it is she?’
My shoulders slumped and I stared at the table.
‘somehow I doubt she’s going to realise he’s lying; he’s not going to tell her, she obviously doesn’t believe me and the only other person who was there was you and considering that she thought I was cheating on Lee with you, she won’t believe you either’
I had to fight fresh tears.
‘The worst part is that I’m actually telling the truth, Lee’s the one who’s lying to her and she said “Lee wouldn’t lie to me”’
‘And what about your other two friends’
He paused, ‘Robbie and Emma is it?’
I nodded.
‘I haven’t seen them yet but they probably hate me too’ I said miserably.
‘Wait until you see them before you presume’
‘I’m not getting my hopes up’.

At that moment Nick’s phone began to buzz.
I couldn’t help myself; I started to giggle,
‘What?’
‘It’s just’ I said between giggles, ‘I was wondering if you planned your calls to always interrupt us when we’re talking’
He glanced at his phone and grimaced.
‘It’s Mark and you know tact isn’t exactly one of his strong suits’
I laughed, ‘true, now go answer or he’ll think you’re cheating on him’
Both the old ladies looked up and smiled at Nick before going back to their work, chuckling...guess I’d said that louder than I thought, oh well!
Nick blushed – yes he actually blushed – and I burst out laughing.
With a last glare at me and a stroke of my hand he went outside to answer his phone.
He leaned against the front window as he spoke and I sat watching him.
Despite all the fighting, he was such a good friend. He’d really been there for me the last couple of days.
If only I saw him as a friend, I thought sadly, it would make things so much easier. I knew he didn’t like me as anything other than a friend and I doubt he realised just how hard it was for me when he hugged me or touched me.

My bad mood was starting to return and I glanced down at my plate to see only a sliver of cake left.
I frowned at it; I didn’t remember eating more than a bite. In an attempt to cheer myself up, I absolutely devoured that last piece of cake.
When I was finished, I got out my phone and saw that as well as the text I’d gotten from Conor earlier there was one from my mother asking what date I was coming home for Christmas and reminding me to book flights.
I rolled my eyes, wondering what age I’d have to be and how far away I’d have to move for my mother to stop treating me like a child –
It looked like it wasn’t going to be anytime soon anyway.
Nick sauntered back in.
‘How’s your boyfriend?’ I grinned cheekily at him.
He returned it and glanced at the two women who were shamelessly watching our exchange.
We were the only customers in the shop and were obviously entertaining them on an otherwise boring afternoon.
‘Now, now Sweetheart’ he grinned, ‘don’t give these beautiful ladies the wrong idea about me’ he turned, winking at them.
They beamed at him, both of their faces suspiciously pink.
I rolled my eyes, ‘you’re too charming for your own good’
He grabbed my hands and pulled me out of my seat.
He swooped in and kissed me on the cheek.
‘Don’t worry Sweetheart; you’re the only girl for me’
I laughed ‘ye I’m sure’
‘Don’t mock me!’ he said dramatically but he couldn’t keep a straight face.

I gathered up my things as he headed to the counter to pay.
I could hear him flirting behind me as I slung my bag over my shoulder.
As we headed for the door, the taller of the two women stopped me with a hand on my arm. Nick went on ahead, out the door and stood waiting for me at the window.
I dragged – yes dragged! – My attention away from him to the old woman in front of me.
She smiled knowingly at me.
‘He’s a keeper dear’
I just stared at her uncomprehendingly,
‘I’m sorry, what?’
‘I’m just saying dear, that he really cares about you so don’t let him go’
‘And his looks are just an added bonus’ her partner chimed in, making them both laugh.
‘We’re not together; we’re just friends’ I told them.
They both looked at me disbelievingly.
‘Well if that boy doesn’t love you then I’m not Rosetta Stone’ the first woman declared.
‘With all due respect, for all I know you aren’t actually Rosetta Stone’ I grinned impishly at her.
She rolled her eyes.
‘The youth of today!’ she said despairingly but there was a twinkle in her eye.
‘Now run along dear so we can clean up, we’ve had more than enough excitement for today, haven’t we Rosetta?’
‘Yes Gwen we have, more than enough’ she grinned, shooing me toward the door.
‘Come back soon’ they called in unison as I walked out the door.

Nick pushed himself away from the window where he’d been leaning as I stepped out into the street.
Throwing his arm around my shoulders he pulled me close and we began to walk down the street. Because it was a Wednesday afternoon, there weren’t as many people out as there would be at the weekend or during rush hour.
‘What was all that about?’
I smiled slyly.
‘They were just telling me how ugly they thought you were’
He pouted, ‘that was harsh’
I laughed and nestled closer to him,
‘You needed to be knocked down a peg or two, poor Rosetta and Gwen are too old to have to put up with your horrible attempt at flirting’
‘Rosetta and Gwen?’ he asked curiously.
I shrugged.
‘What can I say? I make friends easily’
‘And what’s this about my horrible attempt at flirting?’
I patted his chest consolingly,
‘It’s alright, some people just can’t flirt, don’t worry you’re not the only one’
‘Hey I’m an awesome flirt!’ he protested.
‘Just keep telling yourself that, it’ll help you sleep at night’ I teased
‘And you think you’re better?’ he retorted.
‘Of course’ I told him, flicking my hair,
‘I’m a natural flirt’
He snorted, ‘I don’t believe you’
‘Oh really?’
I lowered my voice seductively as I stroked one finger slowly up and down his stomach over every ridge of muscle, feeling him tense beneath my touch.
I glanced at him through my lashes and I had to stifle my grin when I saw him watching me intently, just like I knew he would.
We’d stopped walking and there was no one else in sight. I glanced around biting my lip, all the time slowly stroking.

Suddenly I pushed him against the nearest wall, pressing myself against him. Licking my lips, I slowly started to trail my hands up his stomach, over his chest to his shoulders.
He hesitated before he wrapped his arms around my waist, crushing me against him.
I dropped my head quickly to his shoulder to hide my smile, he was too predictable.
When I was composed again, I leaned in slowly, pausing just an inch from his mouth before leaning in to his ear.
My lips barely brushed his earlobe before I spoke softly,
‘So you think I can’t flirt?’
‘Tease maybe’ his voice sounded strained.
I chuckled as I leant back so I could look at him.
‘True this is too easy’
‘Too easy?’
I nodded, ‘yes, I need a challenge’
I pulled myself completely away from him so I was standing in the middle of the pavement.
He made a noise that was somewhere between a growl and a groan but followed when I grabbed his hand and pulled him after me.
‘Where are we going?’
‘To find a challenge’
I led him into a small park, looking around me for someone suitable.
‘Challenge?’
‘Ye you’re going to pick someone and I bet I can get their number...loser has to buy the winner dinner, deal?’
‘It’s fine; you already showed me that you can flirt’
‘No’ I corrected ‘you were right, I was teasing, now pick someone'
He started looking around. I stopped him,
‘They can’t be too old or too young; they have to be around our age’
He shrugged and continued to look as we walked slowly. I stopped him again when I saw where his gaze was headed
‘And no girls’ I said firmly.
‘Damn’ he smiled sheepishly at me but I just rolled my eyes
‘Predictable’ I muttered under my breath, earning me a glare.
He pulled me over to a bench and we both sat.

Covertly he pointed out a young man who looked to be around twenty two.
He was sitting two benches over and I nodded at Nick, agreeing.
Standing up, I sashayed over to the man. He looked up and had started openly watching me by the time I reached the first bench.
I smiled to myself; I knew exactly what I was going to do.
He stood up when I stopped beside the bench.
‘Hey’ he grinned.
I looked him up and down
‘Hey’ I replied.
His grin widened,
‘What’s a pretty girl like you doing over here with me when you came with him?’ he jerked his chin in Nick’s direction.
I turned, smiling to see Nick watching us avidly.
‘Do you want the truth?’ I asked returning my attention to the guy in front of me
‘Sure why not?’ I rested my hand on his arm.
‘My friend over there’ I glanced at Nick again ‘doesn’t think I can flirt’
I pouted, stepping closer and twirling strand of hair around finger
‘And I’d like to prove him wrong’ I smiled sweetly at him.
He laughed ‘would my number be enough?’
I ran my hand down the length of his arm
‘I’d appreciate it’ I purred.
He took a piece of paper from his paper from his pocket
‘Would you have a pen?’
‘Yep’ I replied brightly and started rooting in my bag.

Mark’s P.O.V:

I managed to sit down on the park bench beside Nick before he noticed me
‘Hey man’ he said distractedly.
‘Hey’ I replied as I followed his gaze to where Shannon was standing flirting with some guy.
Her back was to us so I couldn’t see what she was saying but she flicked her hair and he laughed as she rubbed his arm.
I raised my eyebrows
‘You resorted to stalking now man?’ I teased.
‘What?’ he whipped his head around to face me
‘Of course not!’ he frowned before returning his gaze to Shannon.
I was only teasing, he’d told me on the phone earlier that he was with her and what had happened earlier – poor girl! –
But I was definitely surprised to find her flirting with some guy while Nick watched.
‘So what’s going on over there?’ I asked carefully.
‘It’s a challenge’
‘Care to elaborate my friend?’
He looked back at me and I listened while he explained.
‘She said I was too easy and she needed a challenge’
He sounded slightly outraged but I just smirked at him,
‘Of course you’re too easy man, you’d jump through fire for the chance to be with her’
He tried to protest but I cut him off.
‘Please, I noticed as soon as I got here that you’re in...Pain’
I glanced pointedly down to where his jeans were “tighter” than usual.
I smirked some more when he groaned,
‘You’d be in pain too if you’d seen what she was like’ he raked his hand through his hair and sighed.
I raised my hands ‘hey, I’m not judging, I understand completely, she’s hot!’
I held my breath, hoping he’d take the bait. He didn’t let me down.
‘There’s more to her than her looks’ he glared angrily at me to my satisfaction.
‘She’s...’
He stopped abruptly when Shannon turned to face us.
The guy she’d been talking to pulled her back into his arms and kissed her.
Nick immediately tensed and looked like he was going to stand up when she didn’t push him away.
After a couple of seconds they broke apart and she started to walk over to us, swaying her hips.
I could see Nick forcing himself to relax as Shannon got closer.

She paused when she was half-way over to us and turned to blow a kiss at the guy who was watching her leave.
She wiggled her fingers at him as he turned to go in the other direction. He winked quickly before walking away.
When she reached us she sat on Nick’s lap, wrapping her right arm around the back of his neck and laying her feet across my legs.
‘Making yourself comfortable Sweetcheeks?’ I laughed
‘Always’ she quipped,
‘Why else do you think I keep you guys around?’ she sneered.
I chuckled,
‘So tell us, who’s lover boy?’
Nick threw me a glare but I ignored him.

Shannon’s P.O.V:

I made myself comfortable, very aware of Nick’s arms around me.
‘I got his number’ I shrugged, pulling out the piece of paper with Dylan’s name and number on it.
He was a nice guy though he wasn’t my type.
‘I know you’re only doing this to prove to your friend that you can flirt’ he’d said,
‘But give me a call anyway’
He’d then kissed me.
I’d been taken by surprise so I hadn’t pulled away.
When we broke apart, Dylan had chuckled,
‘Just making it seem more realistic’ he whispered in my ear.
I smiled at him before turning to leave; I just wanted to get back to Nick.
I’d been surprised to see Mark when I turned around but I found that I was glad he was – he could always put me in a good mood.

‘You still think I can’t flirt?’ I turned to Nick, bringing myself back to the present.
He smiled ‘I stand corrected’
I laughed,
‘At least I don’t flirt with old women’ I teased as I tousled his hair.
Mark looked confused,
‘Umm, did I miss something?’
‘I’ll have you know they were good looking for their age’ Nick defended himself, ignoring Mark’s question.
‘Ye sure’ I snorted.
‘You two are freaks’ Mark sighed.
‘You know you love it’ Nick and I said in unison.

We all burst out laughing.
♠ ♠ ♠
So ye that was Chapter...umm 26 I think...
Vote and comment! Pretty please with a cherry on top! =D

Kaz xoxo