The Movies Make It Look Easy

Chapter Thirty Three

Chapter 33

Shannon’s P.O.V:

I’d checked in online when I booked the flights, so when we stepped into the crowded Departures area, I headed for the nearest board with flight times.
Nick was looking around with a lost expression on his face so I linked my arm with his and directed him to the board where a group of people were clustered, all looking for their flights.
Our flight was leaving at one and I scanned the board looking for the Dublin flights.

When I’d found the right one, we headed for the queue to drop off our bags.
The atmosphere was one of anticipation. Most people, like me, were on their way home to spend Christmas with their families.
I found myself moving about restlessly as the excitement all around me caught on.
The line inched along slowly, only moving a couple of steps at a time.
‘You have your passport?’ I asked Nick.
He nodded and took it out of his pocket. He placed it into my outstretched hand along with my own.
It had been express mailed to the apartment a few days before and it was shiny and new, unlike mine which had a distinctly worn look about it and had stamps dotted in it from travelling to Croatia and Africa.
My picture had been taken when I was sixteen and was typically unflattering. A quick glance at Nick’s told me he was the exception to the rule – I shook my head to myself, I don’t know why I was even remotely surprised.

Eventually we reached the top of the line and I wheeled my bag to the desk with Nick following closely behind me.
I handed the man behind the desk both of our passports and boarding cards with a smile and went to pick up my bag.
Nick realised what I was doing and took it from my hands, depositing it where I pointed.
The man smiled tiredly at us as he quickly surveyed our passports.
He placed tags on my bag before the conveyor belt started moving, taking my bag with it.
The process was repeated with Nick’s suitcase and the man wished us a nice day before signalling for the next person in the line to come forward.
I tugged on Nick’s arm as I directed him towards security.
I explained what was going to happen as we walked slowly through the crowds. He nodded distractedly as he looked around him in fascination, not really listening when I told him that he’d have to take off his belt and make sure he had no metal on him.

When we finally reached the metal detectors, I took off my jacket and placed it in a tray alongside my laptop.
I placed my bag beside it and waited for the security guard to tell me to walk through the metal detector.
I fidgeted as I waited – I’d always had an irrational fear that I’d be stopped even though I hadn’t done anything wrong.
Thankfully it didn’t beep when I stepped through and I went to collect my things.
I turned around in the middle of putting my laptop back in my bag to see Nick walking through the metal detector.
It started beeping madly and a security guard pulled him to one side.
I vaguely heard him saying ‘please spread your arms and legs’ as Nick grimaced at me across the tops of the few people’s heads between us.
I covered my mouth with my hand in an attempt to cover my smile as Nick was searched.

Two minutes later, I was standing beside him as he threaded his belt back through the loops on his jeans.
He was practically spluttering with indignation at having to be searched.
‘It’s not like I’m a freaking terrorist’ he muttered, picking up his jacket.
When I was able to talk without laughing, I turned him gently and pointed towards a chubby man with a walrus moustache and a receding hairline.
‘See you’re not the only one’ I told him.
He seemed to be appeased and allowed me to guide him away from security. We entered duty free but neither of us particularly needed anything so we bypassed it and headed towards our gate, following the overhead signs.

We had to stop to get Nick food because he hadn’t had time to get anything before we left the apartment.
‘So what do you think?’ I asked as he practically inhaled a breakfast roll.
‘About what?’ he asked after he’d swallowed.
I gestured all around me, ‘this, the airport’
He frowned, ‘dunno, I’m more worried about flying’
I shrugged, ‘Flying isn’t bad unless you’re stuck beside someone really irritating or you’re in the vicinity of a crying baby’
‘That would suck’ he agreed.
We chatted aimlessly while he ate and when he was finished, we wandered down to the gate, managing to find two seats together to wait to board.
I checked my phone and the time read 12:30.
We’d be boarding any minute.

I took out my iPod and plugged in one ear so I could still listen out for any announcements. I sat back and made myself as comfortable as possible, with Nick sitting to my right and ‘Dust Bowl Dance’ by Mumford and Sons blaring in my left ear.
Within ten minutes, an announcement came over the P.A. calling all passengers for the Dublin flight.
There was a mad rush as people scrambled to make the top of the queue – a downside of flying Ryanair was there was no assigned seating so it was first come, first served.
I sat up, carefully turning off my iPod and placing it in my bag.
Nick looked at me, ‘we moving?’
I nodded.
We gathered our things and made our way to the end of the line.

Thankfully, it was moving along steadily and we soon made it to the top. The woman standing beside the desk took my boarding pass and checked my passport briefly. She smiled politely before grinning flirtatiously at Nick who was one step behind me.
Rolling my eyes at the fact that we couldn’t go anywhere without him getting some (unwanted on my part) female attention, I stopped to wait for him. He nodded to the woman as he took his passport back from her but his gaze was locked on the plane that could be seen through the glass doors.

He walked through the doors looking almost transfixed.
My mouth twitched at the fascination crossing his face as he stared at the plane looming above us.
‘You excited?’ I teased, nudging him in the ribs.
He glanced at me, shrugging before looking back at the plane.
A smile slowly grew on his face as he strained his head back to look up at the cockpit.
‘I’m really scared, I’ll need you to hold my hand the entire flight...maybe we can even think of some ways to take my mind off it?’ he waggled his eyebrows at me slightly.
I pushed him playfully,
‘That’s likely’ I snorted sarcastically.
He spread his hands as we made our way to the back of the plane, ‘Can’t blame a guy for trying!’

We began to climb the metal stairs to the doors.
They swayed alarmingly in the wind and I jogged up them, two at a time.
I smiled at the young man standing inside the door taking tickets. He looked at least half Italian and with his jet black hair, pouty lips, dark eyes and olive toned skin was really cute. I made a show of checking him out as he did the same, even though he wasn’t my type.
I like to be the pretty one in the relationship, I find it strange if a guy’s prettier than me, not better looking – I didn’t mind that – but prettier.
The guy’s eyes flickered behind me quickly before he handed back my ticket.
‘Have a nice flight’ he told me in accented English, winking before he reached out to take Nick’s ticket.
He’d stepped up behind me and I could practically feel his breath on top of my head, he was standing so close.
It didn’t take a genius to figure out why the cute Italian guy had stopped checking me out.

I made my way down the aisle, looking for seats. I didn’t want Nick and I to be split up and luckily I found two seats together around half way down the plane. I smiled at the middle aged man who had taken the aisle seat.
‘Are these seats taken?’ I asked politely and he shook his head as he stood up to let us in.
I took the window seat and quickly stowed my bag beneath the seat as Nick sat down beside me.
He looked around him in horror as I buckled my seatbelt.
‘How am I supposed to sit here for the entire flight, there’s no room!’
I looked at his knees which were pressed against the seat in front of him.
‘It’s not a long flight’ I told him as I took my book out of my bag,
‘And you have to wear your seatbelt’ I reminded him.
He picked up each piece, staring at the buckle before slowly clicking the two pieces together.

The hot Italian who had taken our tickets when we boarded, walked up the aisle, past our seats to the front of the plane.
Nick stared after him.
‘You didn’t have to flirt with him you know’
‘Aw, you jealous?’ I teased.
‘No’ he sniffed, ‘it’s just that Mark told us not to cheat on him, that’s all’
The man on the other side of him had clearly been eavesdropping but he openly turned to stare when Nick mentioned that Mark had told “us” not to cheat.
I laughed, ‘remind me to apologise to him for smiling at the polite man who took our tickets’
He regarded me with one eyebrow raised.
‘Polite’ he finally snorted, ‘anyone could see what he was thinking and it was far from polite’
I rolled my eyes, ‘God, you sound like my brother’
Nick just glared.

Soon the engines started up and a voice started pointing out the emergency exits while air hostesses mimed what to do in case of an emergency.
Nick looked on, once again fascinated while I worked to tune out the noise as I read my book – Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs.
The plane began to taxi towards the runway and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nick begin to drum his fingers against the armrests. I couldn’t tell however, if it was due to anticipation or nerves.
The noise from the engines got louder as we made our way down the runway, picking up speed as we went.
Nick’s fingers were drumming frantically and without looking up from my book, I reached out and grasped his left hand, interlinking our fingers.
Neither of us said anything as the plane lifted into the air but he squeezed my fingers gratefully and I squeezed back as I turned the page one handed and continued to read.

I put my book away as the plane dropped again.
Only minutes before, we’d still been high in the air above the clouds, not able to make out any details in the city below bar the fact that we were flying over land and now we were just metres above the runway as we readied to land.

Nick gripped my hand again as the plane hit the ground with a bump and raced down the runway. We gradually slowed down and finally came to a stop.
I sighed as the inevitable clapping broke out. I have a hatred for people who clap when the plane lands.
I turned to Nick.
‘Home sweet home’ I smiled.
He leaned over me to peer out the small window.
‘So this is Ireland’ he said quietly, almost to himself.
‘Doesn’t look too special’ he said, turning his head to look at me.
I reached out and tapped his nose, ‘just you wait my friend, just you wait’
He leaned back.
I unbuckled my seatbelt and retrieved my bag from beneath my seat. The doors opened and there was a stampede as everyone tried to be first off the plane. I placed my hand on Nick’s arm when he went to stand up.
‘Just wait’ I told him when he looked back at me.
When the flow of people had lessened, we stepped into the aisle, Nick standing back to let me go first.

I was buffeted by a cold wind as I stepped onto the metal steps. I breathed in the cool air before walking down the steps with one hand on the rail to balance me.
It was a bright but cold day and the ground was wet, so it had probably just stopped raining – it would start again soon, knowing Ireland.
We began the short walk to the doors, hunched into our jackets to try keep out of the biting wind. It was lovely and warm inside as we walked down the corridor to passport control.
We stood in line and when I reached the desk, I handed my passport through the slot to be checked.
It was handed back seconds later and Nick was signalled forward.
Within ten seconds, we were walking to the correct conveyor belt which had started to turn, bringing out the luggage from our flight.
After around five minutes, I saw my bag coming towards me (I’d tied a red ribbon around the handle to make it recognisable) and I stepped forward to grab it as it went past.
Nick stepped up behind me and put one hand either side of me to take the weight of the bag as I picked it up.
He took it from me effortlessly and placed it on the ground.
‘Thanks’ I said a little breathlessly as I flicked my fringe out of my eyes.
We went back to watching for Nick’s bag and as the minutes went by without any sign of it, he began to fidget more and more.

Finally, when the majority of the people around us had moved away, his battered old suitcase made an appearance. It was one of the last bags to come out and I blew out a breath of relief as he stepped forward to claim it. Lost luggage was all we needed to start the trip off well.
As soon as he had his bag, I tugged on his arm as I hurried towards the exit. I just wanted to get out of the airport and get home.
Nick grabbed me around the waist to stop me from running to the doors.
I looked up at him and smiled sheepishly.
‘Sorry, it’s just that now we’re so close...’
He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, ‘I understand’
We set off again, at a slower pace this time, with me clutching at Nick’s arm with one hand, the other wheeling my suitcase behind me.
My heart was beating faster in anticipation.
Eventually we made it to Arrivals.

We walked through the cordoned off area, people lining the barriers, each desperate for the first glimpse of their loved ones.
I scanned the sea of faces for someone familiar but there were too many people. We eventually made it past the worst of the crowds, my nails digging into Nick’s arm.
I looked to my left and did a double take as I saw a familiar figure pushing through the throng of people towards me.
My breath caught,
‘Ryan!’ I called delightedly.
I dropped my bags and let go of Nick’s arm before running over to my brother. I ran into him, almost knocking him over.
He picked me up and spun me around, laughing.
When he put me down, he cupped my face
‘Let me have a look at you’ he told me with his familiar blue eyes twinkling as he grinned down at me.

Tears pricked the corners of my eyes as his familiar voice rolled over me.
I looked at him, my vision a bit blurry; he was tall with longish golden brown hair only a shade darker than my own. He had broad shoulders and defined muscles from practically living at the gym. He was handsome and had a smile that made women take a second look. He always had a string of girlfriends and I doubt he was planning on settling down anytime soon.
I wrapped my arms around his waist and buried my head in his chest as my tears spilled over.
‘What’s wrong?’ he asked his voice soothing.
‘I just missed you so much’ I whispered into his chest.
‘I missed you too kiddo’
I pulled away from him, keeping one arm around his waist while he wrapped his arm around my shoulders.
‘Everyone’s so excited to see you’ he told me while I wiped my eyes.

I smiled at him, before turning my head to see Nick slowly making his way over to us with my bags in one hand and his in the other.
I felt momentarily bad for just dropping my stuff and running off. I pulled away from Ryan and jogged over to Nick, taking my bags from him.
‘You okay?’ he asked concern evident in his voice as his gaze flicked behind me to where Ryan was standing.
I grinned, unable to keep a smile off my face.
‘Ye I’m just happy’ I said as I looked up at him, ‘come on there’s someone I want you to meet’
I smiled at him and he smiled his familiar smile back.
I interlinked our arms and started back the way I’d come. I looked at Ryan who was standing where I’d left him, with one brow quirked as he watched us.
When we reached him, I let go of Nick and turned so I could see them both easily.

‘Nick, this is my brother Ryan’
I looked from one to the other, my happiness bubbling up inside me now that two of my favourite people were finally meeting.
‘And Ryan this is my roommate, Nick’
They looked at eachother in silence, each sizing the other up as guys do before Ryan smiled and reached out a hand. ‘It’s nice to meet you Nick, I heard you were coming’
Nick returned his smile and grasped his hand, ‘it’s nice to meet you too’
I clapped my hands together, making both guys look at me.
‘Great, now that everyone’s introduced and loved up can we go now?’ I begged.

I thrust my bags at Ryan and grabbed both of them by the arm, linking us together.
‘Has she taken something?’ Ryan asked Nick over the top of my head.
I practically felt Nick rolling his eyes and sure enough when I looked up his eyes were mid-roll.
‘I think she had some sugar on the way over’ he answered.
‘Yep that would do it’ Ryan laughed.
‘Hey!’ I interrupted,
‘I didn’t introduce the two of you so you could gang up on me’ I pouted.
‘You really should have thought of that, my dear sister’ Ryan said.
I smiled evilly, ‘don’t worry; Nick will be on my side’
‘Oh? And why’s that?’ Ryan asked his amusement obvious.
I continued to smile; ‘because if he isn’t, I’ll punish him’
Nick chuckled as Ryan’s eyebrows slowly rose in astonishment.
‘And how will you do that?’
‘I’ll sit on him’ I said at the same time as Nick said; ‘She’ll sit on me’
Ryan burst into laughter, ‘you haven’t changed a bit Shannon’ he said.

Still laughing we walked out the automatic doors, heading for the car park.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmmm....sorry it’s so late
It feels like years since I last uploaded, but hasn’t been very long...maybe a week?
So any thoughts?!

Kaz xoxo