The Movies Make It Look Easy

Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter 36

Shannon's P.O.V:

'Shannon, there's a phone call for you'
My mother's voice in the doorway woke me up.
I lifted my head slightly and looked at her.
'I'll be right down' I yawned.
She nodded and disappeared out the door, shutting it behind her.
I sat up and looked at Nick; he was curled up beside me and slowly began to wake up as I watched him. I grimaced slightly; my mother didn't mind Nick staying in my room but I'd prefer it if she didn't, you know, see it.
I managed to get out of bed and I threw on a pair of slippers.
'Where are you going?' Nick asked sleepily, sitting up.
'Phone' I said simply, 'you should go get breakfast, I'll meet you when I'm finished'
He nodded groggily and I left the room.
I jogged down to the kitchen.
When I walked in, my mother glanced up holding the phone to her ear.
'She's just here so I'll leave you two to talk. Come visit soon dear'
She handed the phone to me and I headed through to the living room, sitting myself comfortably on the couch. I already knew who it was just from the way my mother had been talking.
'Hey Conor' I said happily.
'Hello stranger' his familiar deep voice that used to cause tingles to break out along my spine spoke down the phone, making me smile.
The only other person who my mother had taken to immediately was...Nick.
Thinking of him caused my smile to widen and it was only Conor calling my name that brought my attention back to the phone pressed to my ear.
Exhaling slightly, I pushed thoughts of Nick out of my mind as I settled in to have a long conversation with one of my favourite people.

An hour later, I returned to the kitchen with the phone in one hand. I felt lighter as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders after catching up with Conor. The only downside was that he couldn't come up to visit.
I glanced up to see my mother and Nick sitting at the kitchen table, chatting over a cup of tea. I stopped, momentarily surprised before making my way over to them, pausing only to drop the phone back in its holder on the counter by the door.
Nick grinned as me, his hair flopping into his eyes and I smiled as I sat down between the two of them.
'What did Conor want?' my mother asked.
I shrugged, sitting back in the chair, 'just wanted to talk. He can't come visit' I pouted.
'Don't pout Shannon' she said absently without looking up as she reached for the teapot.
My pout dropped and I rolled my eyes at Nick instead who was watching me intently.
'But' I continued, 'he promised to come and visit sometime in the New Year'
She looked up, 'you mean fly to London?'
I nodded as I grabbed the spare cup on the table.
She nodded and smiled at Nick, 'you'll like Conor. He's my favourite out of all of Shannon's boyfriends'
She glanced at me, smiling happily, 'if it wasn't for the fact that she went abroad for college, I'm sure they'd still be together'
Nick nodded while he stared at the table and I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. We were only friends but at the moment I wanted nothing more than for my mother to stop talking. I didn't want Nick to get the wrong impression about mine and Conor's relationship. I didn't want him to think that I was still in love with him. Conor had actually asked about Nick when we were talking - he knew how I felt about him.
'So do you need Nick and I to help at all today?' I asked, trying to change the subject.
My mother was oblivious to my efforts but I was pretty sure Nick noticed because he glanced at me quickly before getting up to put his breakfast things in the dishwasher.
'Shannon?' my head snapped in my mother's direction and I realised I'd been staring at Nick's slightly tensed back.
'Yeah?' I asked distractedly.
'I asked you if you wanted breakfast.'
I shook my head, my appetite was gone. She gave me a disapproving stare but I ignored it.
Nick came to stand behind me, his hands on the back of my chair. She got up and started opening cupboards and pulling items out. I rested my head back against his stomach and he placed his hands soothingly on my shoulders.
'I'd appreciate it if the two of you would get the decorations from the attic and put them up. I trust that two artists will do a good job.'
I tilted my head back and grinned at Nick's upside-down face.
'Yeah sure mum, just let me get dressed first' I told her, standing up.

'Where's everyone else?' I asked as I reached the doorway while Nick headed on up to my room.
'Adrian's with Katie, Ryan's out somewhere, probably with his latest girlfriend and your father took the dogs for a walk'
I nodded and turned to leave when she called after me.
'Shannon?'
'Yeah?' I turned back to look at her while I absently started to braid my hair.
'Are you happy?' She scrutinised me.
I frowned, 'what do you mean?'
'If you're not happy living in England, you can always come home'
I smiled, 'I'm happy. I love college, I like living with Nick and I like my friends'
I wasn't going to go into all the drama with Lee and Natalie or she'd never believe I was happy - and now that I thought about it, I really was.
My life was in London now and Nick, Mark and Jay were a big part of it.
'Ah yes Nicholas; he's a lovely boy. I think he'll be good for you' she half smiled and I looked at her curiously, 'what do you mean you think he'll be good for me?'
She rolled her eyes - so that's where I get that particular trait from... - 'I'm not that old you know, I do have eyes in my head. Now go get dressed'
'Wait...what?' but she'd already turned back to what she was doing and just waved me away.
Shaking my head, I went upstairs.

When I walked through the door, Nick was standing in the centre of the room, wearing a pair of pale grey fat-mans. The rim of his boxers peeked over the tracksuit bottoms and hugged his narrow hips. He held a t-shirt in one hand while he texted with the other.
He'd obviously been interrupted in the middle of getting dressed.
I paused in the doorway, taking a moment to just enjoy the view before he noticed me. I didn't think I'd ever get used to the sight of him sans clothes.
'I know you're there, see something you like?' Nick smirked without looking up from his phone.
I blushed slightly, 'how long have you known I was standing here?' I asked curiously, I hadn't made a sound and my footsteps had been muted by the carpet.
'I noticed the minute you walked into the room' he said, shrugging as he scratched his chest distractedly.
My heartbeat sped up.
'But you didn't look up' I said bluntly.
He shrugged again, glancing at me 'didn't need to'
He finally put away his phone and pulled on his t-shirt.
I grabbed some old clothes from my wardrobe, deciding it was best not to think about the weird conversation we'd just had.
'My mum really likes you' I said as I secured the braid I'd be holding closed.
'Really?' he sounded like it really mattered to him.
I smiled at his anxious face, 'yep, she just told me'
I walked into the bathroom but left the door slightly ajar so I could still talk to him.
'It's actually very impressive; it usually takes her a while to warm up to people'

Within a minute I'd changed and I went back into my room. Nick was still standing in the same place; watching me.
'I'm pretty sure Adrian and Ryan like you...though I probably shouldn't mention sex to Ryan again...'
'You think? He snorted.
I grinned. 'And I think dad likes you too, but you heard what he said, it's as long as I'm happy' I shrugged as I tilted my head slightly to meet his gaze.
'And are you?' he asked softly.
'Am I what?'
'Are you happy?'
I reached out and caressed his jaw gently as I smiled at him. He stilled, waiting for my answer.
'I am'
He gave me a half-smile, 'good'
'You're all stubbly' I told him randomly without removing my hand.
'Is that a good or a bad thing?'
I smiled, 'dunno, I like stubble so I suppose it's a good thing'
'Well then I might just leave it the way it is'
He stepped closer and I dropped my hand, suddenly nervous. It was a strange feeling. Guys didn't normally make me nervous.
In that moment all I wanted was for him to kiss me. We stared at each other and my hands were itching to pull him to me. I was seriously contemplating stepping in but one thought stabbed its way through the fog that had settled over my brain; he didn't want this and I'd just make a fool of myself if I tried to kiss him.
With a sigh so soft it was barely audible, I stepped back.
'It suits you, so you should leave it' I told him, glancing once more at his stubble-covered jaw.
'Now let’s go get the decorations' I said, trying for a smile but I was pretty sure I just looked like I was in pain.
He nodded stiffly and let me precede him out of my room and down the hall. My shoulders slumped at the tense silence as Nick followed me with a good three feet between us. I was so used to him being close to me, even in the house that I felt almost empty, bereft - like a part of me was missing.
In all honesty, the feeling scared me - I shouldn't have these feelings for Nick, I'd only end up getting hurt.

I opened the door to the closet that was just beyond my parents’ bedroom and flicked on the light, revealing shelves that stocked extra linens and towels. There was a small step ladder on the floor that was used to access the attic.
I stepped to the side to let Nick past.
'Do you mind doing it? I'm not tall enough'
He shook his head as he brushed past me. He stepped onto the ladder and reached up to remove the panel covering the entrance to the attic. He then grasped the edges of the hole and hoisted himself up and into the attic.
My gaze was riveted to his flexing biceps and the tantalising glimpse of stomach that appeared as his thin t-shirt rode up...it was all I could do not to drool.
When he was sitting on the edge with his legs dangling, I found a small torch and passed it up to him; familiar tingles coursing through my hand when his fingers brushed mine. He disappeared completely and I could see the faint beam of the torch as he moved around.
'They should be on the right somewhere' I called up but there was no answer.
'Nick?'
'Yeah, I found them, there's a lot of junk up here'
I chuckled, 'I know'
After a minute or so he appeared again.
'I'll hand these down to you'
I nodded and stepped onto the ladder. He lay on his stomach and the first box appeared down through the hole to me.
'Have you got it?' he asked.
'Yep'
'You sure?'
'Yes mother, now let go' he did and I stepped off the ladder to deposit the box just outside the door before I went back for the second one.
Again it took some reassurance before Nick would relinquish his hold on the box.
'Jeez Nick, it weighs like two pounds, I'm not that fragile' I said in frustration.
'Well sorry for not wanting to drop it on your head' he huffed.
I rolled my eyes, 'whatever'
I stacked the box on top of the first and picked them both up - that's how light they were...tinsel isn't exactly known for its substantial weight.

I decided that we should begin in the living room and I started towards the stairs, leaving Nick in the closet to cover up the attic entrance with the panel again.
'Thanks for waiting to help' he called waspishly as he dropped down onto the stepladder.
'No problem, anytime' I called over my shoulder in an equally snarky tone.
I couldn't resist one last parting shot, so I paused and looked over my shoulder at him, 'Watch out, I think there's a pillow or two on the shelves...make sure they don't fall on you now, I've heard those things can hurt'
I smiled to myself as I sauntered down the stairs and into the living room, followed by his angry mutterings. I dropped the boxes on the couch and opened them. There was a lot of tinsel, some beads and other small decorations.
Everything was very unorganised this year, usually all of this would have been done days ago, but I suppose now that everyone had moved out there was nobody to help.
Nick joined me a minute later looking a bit dusty, with a dark look on his face as I was rummaging through one of the boxes.
I didn't speak and neither did he.

We decorated for over two hours.
It took so long to decorate the living room, dining room, kitchen and foyer because we frequently stopped to squabble over what to put where. I don't think either of us cared about the decorations; we were just annoyed and took it out on each other.
Even knowing this, I still sniped at him at every opportunity.
Thankfully nobody else was in the house - my mother had gone outside - so there was nobody to witness our constant - pointless - arguing.
When we were finished, I took the boxes back upstairs - Nick didn't offer - and deposited them on the stepladder. They'd go back in the attic after the holidays when all the decorations had been taken down.
Nick stood with his back to me in the middle of the foyer when I got back downstairs, hands stuffed deep in his pockets. I stared at his back as I stepped off the last stair. I hated fighting with him - even though this wasn't proper fighting, not by our standards anyway.
With a slight sigh, I covered the small distance between us and grabbed his arm, turning him around to face me. He was off balance for a second and he opened his mouth to say something - probably not very nice - but I didn't give him a chance.
I reached up and threw my arms around him, burying my face against his neck. He hesitated for a moment before putting his arms hesitantly around my waist.
'Sorry' I mumbled, 'I don't want to fight'
He sighed softly into my hair, 'me neither' he murmured and held me tighter, squeezing me until I almost couldn't breathe but I didn't mind.
I peeked up at him before burying my face once again in the hollow between his neck and shoulder.
'I shouldn't have said that about the pillows, I'm sorry' my voice was muffled but I felt his chest shaking with silent laughter, making me grin against his t-shirt.
I don't know how long we stood there, just holding each other but at some point I heard the front door open and close.
'Get a room you two'
I pulled away from Nick slightly to see Adrian starting up the stairs.
'Nice to see you too' I called.
He laughed and continued on up to his room.

Suddenly there was the sound of lots of feet pounding on the floor and the next thing we knew, we were surrounded by three dogs, all wagging their tails and vying for our attention. They shoved their cold, wet noses at me happily in greeting while they sniffed at Nick with interest - they loved meeting new people.
He raised his eyebrow at me, his arm pressed against mine.
'You have three dogs as well as three cats?'
I shrugged, 'we live in the country, what do you expect?'
He grinned as he bent to pet the dogs, who were trying their hardest to lick our faces. It was a good thing we were in old clothes because they were soaking wet and covered in mud from their walk. I knew my mother would have a fit when she saw all the muddy footprints they were leaving on the rug.
'What are their names?' Nick asked.
All three were mongrels that we'd gotten as puppies from the pound.
'That's Zazu, he's Adrian's' I said pointing at the collie that kept shoving his nose into Nick's pocket.
'Zazu?' he asked sceptically.
I nodded, 'it's from The Lion King' I said, probably unnecessarily.
Next, I pointed to the big, shaggy, dark grey coloured dog that was wagging his tail frantically as Nick scratched behind his ears. 'That's Storm, Ryan's dog.'
I knelt down beside the third dog. He was completely ignoring Nick and was sniffing me and kept scraping at my leg with his paw in an attempt to get my attention. I scooped him into my arms and stood up straight again.
He licked my cheek once, 'this is my baby' I told Nick, 'his name's Jolly'
Jolly nestled into my arms happily, resting his head on my shoulder. He was mainly white with dark brown patches. His face was a tan colour with a darker patch over his right eye. He had big caramel coloured eyes and floppy ears.
Nick straightened up and scratched Jolly along his neck and under his collar. Jolly lifted his head and gazed at him. He obviously deemed Nick worthy enough to pet him because his head flopped back onto my shoulder.
'Come on. They really shouldn't be in here when they're so dirty' I started towards the kitchen with Jolly still in my arms.
I stopped and turned around again, 'Zazu, Storm - come!'
They both instantly obeyed, leaving Nick's side to trot beside me into the kitchen.
Dad grinned when he saw me with the dogs.
'Quick put them outside before your mother sees them'
I immediately jogged to the back door, trying to whoosh them out but it was too late. My mother walked into the kitchen from the dining room. Her face went red with anger when she spotted the dogs and the trail of muddy footprints behind.
'What are those animals doing inside when they're so dirty' she sent all of us a piercing glare.
I quickly opened the door, put Jolly on the ground beside the other two and promptly closed it on them.
When I turned around again, my mother's eyes widened, 'Shannon, look at the state you're in!'
I looked down to see my white top covered with mud. I shrugged - I didn't care.
'Who's going to clean up this mess?' she asked angrily, gesturing at the floor.
'It's alright Carol, I'm sure Shannon would love to do a spot of cleaning' dad grinned.
I glared at him and grabbed Nick, ushering him out of the room.
'Sorry can't, Nick and I are really busy...I'd love to but I can't, sorry' I said, all the while backing out of the room.
Dad chuckled, while my mother just rolled her eyes in exasperation.
I stopped mid-step, 'Adrian's upstairs, I'm sure he'd love to help' I said brightly.
My mother arched a brow, 'is he now?'
I nodded quickly as I began to back slowly out of the room again...reminding myself to make no sudden moves.
Dad's loud guffaws followed me as I caught up with Nick in the hall.
'You're evil you know' he told me.
'Yes' I admitted, 'but that's one of the many, many reasons you love me' I winked, linking our arms.
As we headed for the stairs all we heard was my mother shouting 'ADRIAN!' at the top of her voice and his answering 'WHAT?!'

We burst out laughing as we raced up the stairs, towards my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay Chapter 36! Sorry I didn’t upload yesterday...I really wanted to and had the chapter ready but Microsoft Word wasn’t working properly *sigh*
I'll have Chapter 37 up by the end of the weekend definitely.
I decided that Shannon and Nick had gone too long without any sort of conflict but I didn't want them to have a bad fight right before Christmas which is why they argue for like 2 seconds in this chapter haha
Let me know what’s running through your mind...
And yes next chapter is the first Christmas chapter, I'm so excited...
I think everyone will like how everything will play out...but then again maybe not...
Hmm...
Anyway please comment etc...

Kaz xoxo